Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all.
Anyone got a view on "Anti-freeze / anti-waxing" diesel additives for Q5 / SQ5's?
Just getting prepared for half term skiing hols and we saw huge numbers of diesel-freeze incidents last year... lots of UK registered vehicles were affected (and especially LR Disco's and Freelander's)

Local advice (in France) was to always use independent filling stations where a greater concentration of anti-freeze / waxing agent is pre-added to the fuel, and NOT to use diesel / gazole from French supermarket filling stations...supposedly fuel storage tanks are often contaminated with water, and to save on cost, little or no no anti-waxing additives are used....allegedly.
Others have recommended using a separate additive such as "Wynn's Ice Proof for Diesel" - Costs £6 for 250ml which apparently does 250 litres of fuel and protects down to -26C but, also the label says that it needs to be added to the fuel tank when weather conditions are >+5C.
Some then say add the product to a near empty tank...others to a full one.
Can anyone clear up my confusion? Do such products really work and would there be any engine warranty issues involved through using additives of any sort?
Grateful for any comments.
Cheers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Power Service anti-gel additive - white bottle is winter.

http://www.amazon.co...s=power+service

6.25 ounces treats 20 gallons of fuel. I use it in my Q5, my wives A3 TDI and daughters A3 TDI.
No issues
-17 Fahrenheit overnight here (outside of Chicago) on three nights so far. Both A3's sit outside and start right up.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Power Service anti-gel additive - white bottle is winter.

http://www.amazon.co...s=power+service

6.25 ounces treats 20 gallons of fuel. I use it in my Q5, my wives A3 TDI and daughters A3 TDI.
No issues
-17 Fahrenheit overnight here (outside of Chicago) on three nights so far. Both A3's sit outside and start right up.
Many thanks, appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Helpful post. This is one area that has worried me a little when changing from petrol to diesel. When leaving from Austria last year the temperature gauge was showing -27.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Further advice since received elsewhere...on issue of when to add any additive, with fuel tank one third to half full is generally considered best.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Further advice since received elsewhere...on issue of when to add any additive, with fuel tank one third to half full is generally considered best.
Good advice! I usually refill at half tank in the winter, and add the appropriate amount of additive for the gallons I think it's going to take immediately before I go fill up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts