Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was scraping off the ice today morning from the old car and was wondering if it actually did any damage to the glass. I must be being a bit pedantic, but do you folks do that to your Q5s? Or simply spray on the deicer, wait for the ice to melt and turn on the wipers??? I wouldn't want any scratches from the scraper on the Q5s glass..... :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I use de-icer on the windscreen, though usually have the engine running and de-mister on to start with. I usually use a scraper on the windows though and let the rear de-mister to it's job.

·
Registered
433 Posts
AH.. never thought of that one, my discovery had heated glass, and fuel heater...... need to keep the Q in the garage and leave the A4 outside, or I can fit a fuel heater with remote fobe

·
Banned
842 Posts
Neither let the car defrost it!!!!

Do miss the heated windscreen in my Focus ST though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Chopper, doesn't it take long to defrost just on the blower?
I read somewhere that it is not ideal to leave the engine ( diesels in particular) on idle until it has fully broken in. Without idling, wouldn't the battery drain rather quickly?

·
Banned
842 Posts
Thanks guys.

I read somewhere that it is not ideal to leave the engine ( diesels in particular) on idle until it has fully broken in. Without idling, wouldn't the battery drain rather quickly?
Hi Pirate,

Longer than scraping or de-icing but I'm somewhat of an amateur detailler and would rather wait 5 minutes than risk scratching the glass or getting anti-freeze on my paint work! To be honest the screen clears very quickly with the blower and the AC on full blast.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks guys.

These vehicles are fitted with HIGH amp alternators now and recharge the battery very quickly, as for leaving the engine idling unles it is excessive time 30 plus minutes you may start to pass oil "glugging"is the name for this, but as useual just use the engine as it needs to be used. Me personally never above 3500 revs when I want performance, normal around 2300-2500 rpm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts