Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been perfectly happy with my BMW MSport 525d Touring (2008) - it's reaching the point where the warranty is up and with 40k on the clock, I feel time for a change.

My sensible side draws me to the Q5 2.0 Tdi SLine Plus - I will miss the smooth power of the 6 cylinder beamer - and I get 39 mpg with mainly A-Road / MWay driving, with 37 mpg in town. However, I would like to know what MPG and comments you have on the 3.0 TDI and one final cat amongst the pigeon questions. I like the look of the Q5 - but I love the look of the Q7. It's not a practical size, but it's a beast. Have any readers owned Q7 previously, what are the pro's and cons (running costs?).

I'm planning a few test drives to test my opinions.

There seems to be some good deals to be done with low APR financing at dealers. Keen to take advantage of that and in doing so purchase a car that will have some considerable equity in it 3 years down the line.

Appreciate your views....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got an 2009 3.0TDI S-Tronic, which I bought 2nd hand in August. It gets mostly used on short 10\15 min runs by my OH, and still returns a respectable 30 MPG. We have a 2.0TDI (140) Golf. I've just had the DPF removed and it remapped, and the DPF removal is supposed to release an extra few MPG (albeit that will probably be negated by the extra I oomph).

I test drove a 2.0 TDI, (170bhp) Q5 and then 3.0TDI model, and my view was that the 3.0TDI is better suited to the size (and weight) of the Q5, Also the 3.0 doesn't sound like a diesel from inside the cabin.

Can't comment about the Q7, other than to say I really don't appreciate it's bulk and looks, as well as the perceived social stigma of them (drug dealers apparently love em).

Cheers
Grant

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Dont be fooled by Audi MPG 'claims' - you cant get near them is my experience (unlike BMWs)

3.0 will hit about 27 around town and the 2.0 about 32 is my experience - which IMO is VERY poor.
Plus model is great value, but with the discounts been offered now on Q5s i wouldn't bet on 'considerable equity' i doubt it will be a neg equity car but you wont have 000s left at the end either.

Q7 is a great car - feels much more like a real 4x4, you get a great 'feel good' factor when driving it and the tech is good.
Q7s are much more expensive and drinks fuel like George Best on a bender.

Drive both, but if you need space in the boot Q7 is the one.
Q5s boots is not big at all. Once you have a pram in the back theres no room for the weekly shopping and you'll end up putting it the cabin. So check out all those sorts of things before buying.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I am just about to post my 1 year real lift MPG figures for my 2.0TDI Stronic which on average has returned 32mpg around town and up to 38mpg on motorway runs. Obviously can't comment on the 3.0TDI.

I really dont see 32mpg around town on a car this size as poor TBH?! I'm more than happy with its economy and have always looked at real life MPG's via forums such as this as opposed to believing the manufacturers quoted figures...

Reactions: Steppy

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had a 4.2 litre Q7 as a courtesy car for a week. No doubt it is a lovely car but the sheer size makes it very difficult to live with. I sent it back after a week !!! It eats fuel and from what friends who own them tell me it eats tyres nearly as quickly as fuel

I am waiting delivery on a Q5 2 litre TDI S line plus S Tronic and am currently driving a pre face lift 3 litre version. The V6 is a lovely engine and the performance is more than adequate however I'm not convinced it worth the extra £4,000 over the 2 litre.

Auto express have just done a test against the new Freelander, the updated volvo XC60 and the 2 litre Q5 S Line won hands down!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts