Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this could be a bit out there but I'm pretty much regretting not getting the sat nav, to the extent that I'm considering ordering again while trade in prices are so strong and delivery times are shortening.

However, I'm wondering, how much could the dealer charge for the sat nav components, MMI console and controls, and to fit it all? I know it wouldn't be cheap but could it be around the ?1500 mark that the tech pack would have cost me?? any one considered this or have any thoughts?

Equally, has anybody done a 6 month trade in and done well??

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Regarding retrofit on MMI that would cost you a small fortune... Searching through internet I found some offers (could not retrieve them now
) that wer in range of 2500EUR... An not easy to find workshops that do this. One I found (in Poland) is VNS Media: http://vnsmedia.com/?id=962, though they are not showing the price. Needed to be contacted individually, as I guess price might vary depending of configuration of the car.
There are also some alternative solutions using transparent touch sensitive overlay on original screen and hidden navibox connected between original radio and screen to take control over original display. These are cheaper and frequently offer some additional functionalities. Advantage is much lower price and retaining clean factory look (not visible after installation). One of the companies offering such solution is Kufatec: http://www.kufatec.de/shop/index.php/cat/c326_Q5---8R.html
For more details lets check following link: http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/articles/mmi3gretrofit.html. Lots of interesting reading.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Robbie,
I have installed an aftermarket GPS to my Q5 - it is a Chinese unit similar to the one sold by Kufatec, and includes reverse camera, music, video, photo, ebook viewers; and interface for a DVD & rear seat screens etc.
Haven't got around to posting it as a project on the forum, but I can pm you the details if you like...

cheers,
..Neil

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just had some work done last week at Sextons in Wandsworth, London.

The owner was chatting to me and said they can install MMI systems for Audi from scratch.

Might be worth a call if you are local.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting thanks all, yes Neil, I'd be interested - do you have a psuedo MMI control or additional panel?

It just occurs to me that the whole system must be replaceable and the only visible change would be the centre console which again must be replaceabele. Just that parts and LABOUR cost.

How do aftermarket systems affect warranty?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting thanks all, yes Neil, I'd be interested - do you have a psuedo MMI control or additional panel?

It just occurs to me that the whole system must be replaceable and the only visible change would be the centre console which again must be replaceabele. Just that parts and LABOUR cost.

How do aftermarket systems affect warranty?
Robbie,
The system that I have installed is virtually invisible, and makes use of your existing 6.5 inch LCD screen. The core of the installation is the removal of the screen from the dash (surprisingly simple), and inserting a cable to and from the location in the glovebox where you install this GPS unit (eg top shelf next to AMI). This means that the video signal to the screen goes via this new box and it can be commanded to "interrupt" the picture and replace it with its own - which is usually GPS nav or reverse camera picture.
It doesn't need any additional or changed console as you take advantage of having the screen out and place a thin clear film over the face of the LCD - much like putting a clear screen protector on your mobile phone. This film gives full touch-screen functionality when the unit is in "GPS display" mode, and your car remains (as far as can be seen) totally original until you press on the screen for 3 seconds, which is the command to activate the "console menu", and then GPS etc.

I can't comment on UK warranty but our consumer laws here (Oz) require the supplier to prove that you broke something in order to deny warranty. This system won't break your car. It has been installed on hundreds of "A4L" (domestic Chinese model with same electrical systems as A$, A5, Q5 in ROW)

Edit: Over the last few months I have imported a small number of these into Australia and set them up as a DIY kit for local Audi enthusiasts (through local forum ozaudi.com). I can make them up for UK supply if anyone in interested.

(tks Kaine for aliowing me to post this)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think Richter, part of Milton Keynes Audi can retrofit the factory satnav

·
Registered
578 Posts
I was in a similar position, I have a 61 plate Sline Special Ed 2.0tdi manual which cost £34k with discount, I enquired about a trade to an SLine Plus and they offered me £30k trade and would not budge from this figure. They would have knocked quite a bit off a Plus though and I think they would do me one for £33,500. I couldn't justify losing £4k in 5 months and I also have the 5 year warranty pack on mine so I went for the xcarlink adapter and use the iphone for nav etc - see my other post for details.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Dynamic Sounds in London fitted it, you could do it yourself though as it comes with a wiring harness so there's no need to source power or cut cables etc, you just need a torx screwdriver set to take the original stereo out and get to the wires at the back. I wanted to make sure it was done right and I no longer have a garage at home to work in so it was easier to just pay an installer. You could also buy a dedicated navigation system which connects via xcarlink if you did not want to use the iPhone tomtom app. Dynamic Sounds has these too for around £300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One more enquiry: My Audi A5 already has connections for Ipod and bluetooth connection. So to connect my Iphone, do I still need to install to Xcarlink inter-phase?

Cheers

·
Registered
578 Posts
One more enquiry: My Audi A5 already has connections for Ipod and bluetooth connection. So to connect my Iphone, do I still need to install to Xcarlink inter-phase?

Cheers
Bluetooth = phone audio
Ipod = mp3 audio

If you want video to display on a screen from an external ipod/iphone/dvd/nav unit then you will need an xcarlink adapter or equivalent. If you want to charge your iPhone at the same time you will need the Dension IVA as well.

Basically it connects to your existing screen enabling you to view the Audi source (MMI) or switch to external sources such as iPhone or reverse camera etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi again

Sorry for keep bombard you with questions but for your xcalink adaptor, what connection did you use to connect your iphone?

Also can I connect my Samsung galaxy S2, if so what connections would I require?

Again thank you very much

1 - 15 of 15 Posts