Have it with 19" wheels and.........
standard suspension428.57%
sports suspension1071.43%

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok guys.....

I've been told that Audi Drive Select and in particular the "Damper Control" option is available with both suspension packages now :!:
They tell me this because apparently it has always been available as an option on the SE, which has normal suspension.

Given that apart from those of you who have it there is no way of making an informed decision because the dealers don't have any cars that have it fitted to test drive.

So I now need to make an urgent decision and hopefully get it right first time.

Which would you go for and why?

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Ok guys.....

I've been told that Audi Drive Select and in particular the "Damper Control" option is available with both suspension packages now :!:
They tell me this because apparently it has always been available as an option on the SE, which has normal suspension.

Given that apart from those of you who have it there is no way of making an informed decision because the dealers don't have any cars that have it fitted to test drive.

So I now need to make an urgent decision and hopefully get it right first time.

Which would you go for and why?
20" with sports,love the sports sus on the a4 real firm but sticks to the road with no roll.

Rich

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Curiously I had a look at the USA Q5 build configurator and there is no mention of a sports suspension option. So is Europe only?

You can opt for the full ADS package in USA which must be on the standard suspension.

I will wait for a few more replies....but I'm starting to wonder if I should give up the option of having a bone shaking option ie Dynamic on top of the sports suspension that I might never use.......and

Stick to standard suspension with ADS damper control which will have dynamic to tighten it up when I feel the need to make speedy progress.

Any thoughts? Anyone got an SE with ADS? or know someone who has?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Josh,

I have a 59 plate, S-line, Q5, 2.0tdi, with the full drive select package and 20" wheels.

I have found that the ability to select the damper setting of the suspension awesome and would highly recommend it.

When the Dynamic Mode is selected the steering feels ultra responsive, the gearbox goes active and the suspension is firm, planting the Q5 to the ground.

Go to Comfort Mode and the entire ride morphs into a traditional 4x4 feel. The steering feels super light, the gearbox relaxes and the suspension feels ultra smooth. I do a lot of mountain biking and utilise this mode a lot when getting to remote off-road locations. I also use this in car parks with high speed ramps (Keeps the wife happy for a while...)

Auto Mode is a fine balance of Dynamic and Comfort. I use this for my daily commute to work, with the odd Dynamic Mode thrown in for fun....

The Individual Mode allows you to select the best of both worlds. I currently utilise this mode for town driving on the following settings:-
Gearbox - Dynamic (Sport Mode)
Steering - Dynamic (Direct Mode)
Suspension - Auto Mode to give a balanced feel

Tremendous option, I would not be without it but I love my gadgets

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wayne,

Sounds just like what I'm trying to acheive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Wayne - looking to order a Q5 very soon and appriciate your comments on the ADS; which I will specify. I am also a mountain biker and wondered how you transport your bikes? Not sure whether to go with a factory fit or aftermarket towbar.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
Hi Wayne - looking to order a Q5 very soon and appriciate your comments on the ADS; which I will specify. I am also a mountain biker and wondered how you transport your bikes? Not sure whether to go with a factory fit or aftermarket towbar.

Thanks
Hi huggis,
We often carrt 2 bikes and use the thule 591 roof carriers with no problems at all,just remember to be careful when opening the boot.

Rich

·
Registered
211 Posts
To my knowledge (I was asking this somewhere else n the forum) you should not mix sport or standard suspension with ADS or trim.
In any trim you can order standard suspension (with standard springs and standard dumpers) or sport suspension (with sport springs and sport dumpers). If you order ADS with dumper control you always get sport springs and regulated dumpers. So unless some change in configuration options (2012 already?) you have no choice of springs with ADS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts