Audi Q5 Forum banner

DAB Radio

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  uwscsi 
#1 ·
In hindsight the one thing I missed off the spec of my car is DAB radio especially with the possible turning off of the analogue signal.

I have tried searching for retrofit DAB modules and you can get them for the MMI 2G but there does not seem to be anything available for MMI 3G. Does anybody know if this is possible and if it is who fits them. I assume that the Audi dealers are going to be expensive??

#2 ·
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
acb - Sadly I have some experience here. I managed to get a car that was "in the system", it had everything I wanted bar DAB. Having had DAB in my last car, this was a real issue for me, as I am a BBC 5 live and BBC6 addict. After much tooing and frowing, got my dealer to agree that a retro fit was possible. Cost however was an eye watering ?1,000 plus VAT.

They subcontract out to these people Richter in Milton Keynes, but it is a big job and certainly not PnP. They needed my car for two days, and even then it was faulty so had to go back for a second fit.

You may be able to get a better deal from Richter direct, and YES it can be done, but pricey. As they F*******d me around royally, I did manage to get some compo but it was not a pleasurable experience.

Ultimately, for me, it was worth it because the DAB is great.

Best of luck and hope this helps.

#6 ·
Maybe a connection via the ami might be a better choice with a dab radio with a usb connection??
Not seen anything like that - I think you could get a Walkman type DAB unit and input through headphone jack, but getting a decent radio signal will always be an issue on the move.

#8 ·
I think the main issue with add-on DAB radios will be the antenna. Some I believe have stick-on antennas - the inside of the windscreen.

Looking at my Q5 that has DAB there are two vertical strips in the rear window and the near side rear window has one vertical strip. I don't know if the latter is standard or specific to the DAB fit. Perhaps someone without DAB fitted could check. It could make the difference to success in fitting the after market module.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.