Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trusty Q5 has developed a sort of 'creaking' noise when the steering wheel is turned at low (parking) speeds. The noise seems to be coming from the front driver's wheel area.

I'm wondering if it may be due to a dry steering knuckle or suspension bush

Fortunately the car is going in for a service in a few days' time and I've asked the garage to take a look.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced such a problem

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My trusty Q5 has developed a sort of 'creaking' noise when the steering wheel is turned at low (parking) speeds. The noise seems to be coming from the front driver's wheel area.

Fortunately the car is going in for a service in a few days' time and I've asked the garage to take a look.

Well my Q5 went in for its first service today (2 years, 16,500 miles). See my separate rant regarding the request for an update to the MMI firmware which was completely ignored

The creaking noise was eventually traced to a ball joint which required replacement. At this moment I cannot confirm any other details (part no's etc) since the only paperwork provided to my wife covered the standard service items and there is no mention whatsoever of the additional ball joint replacement

I understand that the ball joint hadn't failed but apparently Audi had authorised the replacement to cure the creaking noise so I wonder if the problem was the result of poor lubrication

I find it rather disconcerting to find such a problem in a relatively low mileage, 2 year old, premium brand car

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still awaiting the paperwork to say what exactly was done but speaking to the Service Manager the records seem to indicate that the balljoints on both sides were changed. A quick glance underneath does seem to confirm that the lower suspension arm ball joint has been replaced on both sides of my Q5 since both look much cleaner than the rest of the suspension & steering gear.

Now it may be that replacement of both sides is the 'norm'if one side should go 'creaky'

Alternately it does seem to indicate that Audi may have identified a problem and are therefore happy to sanction replacement work to be done on both sides.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Gday JW, this creaking noise, I have just seemed to develop on acceleration and slight steering to one side when turning, sounds like a hollowing sound , like blowing through a empty bottle.... did yours get eventually resolved ?
Audi initially said to me that it was the heat shield ? but I find that just an excuse.... will be knocking on Audi's service centre first thing in the morning, car has only done 1000kms.....

·
Registered
82 Posts

my 2 day old Q5 is suffering from steering creaks when sitting still and going from lock to lock and when doing righ/left hand turns then straightening steering, very load knocking/creaking noise, not good at all from Audi, what happened to their infamous quality control procedures?

·
Registered
82 Posts
fault loacated to a torsion bar which was found to be stressed, removed and replaced original bar, fault gone, good work Audi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts