Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 2 year old Q5 has now developed a very annoying creaking noise which seems to be coming from the headlining directly above the drivers head.

It is the standard black S-Line interior.

The only work done nearby was over a year ago when the A-Pillar clip recall work was done.

Once the local garage has obtained a copy of the latest MMIfirmware they will also take a look at this problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do you have the panoramic sun roof by any chance?

These are known for developing a creak.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your reply.

Yes I do have the Pano sunroof so it could be the source of the annoying creak.

My wife just did a quick trip in the Q5 so I asked her to push against the glass sunroof if she heard the noise.

As usual Sod's Law struck - no creaking tonight - but at least I've now got a clue of where to check when it does

·
Registered
29 Posts
My sunroof has also developed a very annoying creaking even when the roof is slightly open. It has been in to the dealer previously to be adjusted and lubricated and although better has now over a few weeks become worse then ever.

They now want it back in for a few days to remove the headlining etc. but to be honest I am really not very keen on that idea. I may end up having no option but it would be good to know if anyone else has had this successfully done or ideally had the creaking fixed another way?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Ours does the same. Heavy silicone lube rubbed on the rubber seals (ask for silicone shock oil from your local Radio Control hobby store) does calm it down but it will still come back after a while.

I certainly wouldn't let the pit monkeys pull the headlining apart in an attempt to fix it. It is more likely to be fixed by adjusting the sunroof somehow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ours does the same. Heavy silicone lube rubbed on the rubber seals (ask for silicone shock oil from your local Radio Control hobby store) does calm it down but it will still come back after a while.

I certainly wouldn't let the pit monkeys pull the headlining apart in an attempt to fix it. It is more likely to be fixed by adjusting the sunroof somehow.
Hi,

Thanks for the excellent suggestion of how to (at least forsome time) reduce the creaking noise; fortunately my son has an RC model car so we already have the necessary silicone shock absorber oil.

I'll certainly give it a try since, like you, I would not be happy with a mechanic starting to pull the headlining apart.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Initially I have put a thin film of silicone oil aroundthe edge of the external rubber seal (the one that's fitted around the sunroof cut out in the car's roof).

I haven't, as yet, put any oil on the inner rubber seals which I assume are there for sound deadening purposes since I suspect this would result in oil smears on the glass.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To be honest I am not so sure its about lubrictaing the rubber seals. I have put Krytox on them (as used for the various seals on my wifes Eos) and the dealer has put white silicon grease on just about everything including the glass :-( and still I get the creaking.

The reason they have suggested taking the headlining out was to undo all the securing bolts and retighten them in a 'special' order. Unless someone can tell me that really is the cure I do not want any part of the headlining removed. Infact it appears to do it you have to take apart most of the top part of the car and I know these things typically dont go back like new.

As this is the same sunroof as used across the VW group I would have thought by now there would be a known fix.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've just had our Q5 in for some warranty tweaks, one of which was the sun roof. The guy said that Audi have a "special" grease for the sun roof and that they would put some on. The noise is not bad at the moment but I know that it gets worse in warmer weather. From past experience I know that the grease will only be a temporary fix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The local Audi garage has now taken a look at our creaking sunroof and, at least for the moment, it does seem quieter again. Looking at the warranty invoice it indicates that they have applied grease & paste to the seals.

By doing a Google search on the part numbers of the grease & paste I have managed to find a web site which has a PDF of the Audi Technical Services Bulletin regarding the remedial work necessary.

Link: -
http://uberlame.com/...202022733-2.pdf

The bulletin covers all the models in the Audi range including the Q5.

The good news is that the 'fix' only involves the application of the grease & paste and doesn't involve any disassembly of any parts (Phew!!!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts