Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returning to my parked car (Audi Q5 2.0TDi SE & New in September - Why do new cars always pick up damage in the first couple of months after new and then no damage fo years after- always seems to happen to a new car.
Anyway I notice the wing mirror has been clipped, resulting damage being mirror glass smashed, Clear plastic strip containing indicator cracked and the frame of the mirror housing cracked. The main casing of the mirror unit is fine and all electrics function perfectly. The mirrors are the electrically adjustable, folding and heating option (Order code 6XE)

so bearing in mind I need mirror glass, lighting strip and mirror housing frame and not the whole unit I have been quoted ?401.39 incl. VAT & fitting (incl.painting). This seems pretty excessive to me.

Any alternative options for resolving this at a more realistic price and thus not having to subsidise the cappuchino machine etc. of my local main dealer.

Many thanks in anticipation of suggestions, comments or indeed experiences others may have had of what they perceive as pricey after sales.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Sounds like a whole new mirror job to me. So not surprised at the price.

Sorry I can't offer a cheaper solution

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a whole new mirror job to me. So not surprised at the price.

Sorry I can't offer a cheaper solution
Thanks Josh, I will update the board as and when I get it sorted.
Wonder how much it would cost to build a Q5 entirely from the parts bin.
I love the car though and has been well worth the wait.

·
Registered
130 Posts
People that hit and run after damage to cars should be shot. By chance was there any CCTV covering the area? If so, lift their plate from it and report them to the police for 'leaving the scene of an accident' and advise your insurance company accordingly.

Might seem like a lot of effort to go to but I would urge anyone in this situation to do so- it works and the personal satisfaction of getting the b******* makes it well worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People that hit and run after damage to cars should be shot. By chance was there any CCTV covering the area? If so, lift their plate from it and report them to the police for 'leaving the scene of an accident' and advise your insurance company accordingly.

Might seem like a lot of effort to go to but I would urge anyone in this situation to do so- it works and the personal satisfaction of getting the b******* makes it well worth it.
Thanks for the suggestion DNW sadly area is semi-rural. Was close by my parentsand i did ask neighbours if they heard anything alas no joy.
When their time comes maybe they will get a knock back at the pearly gates.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Set them up to fold when you lock it perhaps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after tel. conversation with my insurers they directed me to their nominated independent authorised repairer. (Visit to Audi dealership was first impulse on the day after the incident. and thats when I received the ?401.39 quote.)

This second quote which included a faxed build form (EPIS 647)from Audi which lists and illustrates how the 27 (yes 27)components are assembled to complete the mirror came to ?222.27 This price included the parts (Only 3 of the 27 components required)labour,paint & VAT.

Thats only 55.4% of the Audi quote.

Mmm! Interesting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well after tel. conversation with my insurers they directed me to their nominated independent authorised repairer. (Visit to Audi dealership was first impulse on the day after the incident. and thats when I received the ?401.39 quote.)

This second quote which included a faxed build form (EPIS 647)from Audi which lists and illustrates how the 27 (yes 27)components are assembled to complete the mirror came to ?222.27 This price included the parts (Only 3 of the 27 components required)labour,paint & VAT.

Thats only 55.4% of the Audi quote.

Mmm! Interesting.
I had to replace the Alternator on an A3
Audi quoted ?399
I did it at an independent for ?199 - so yes, sounds about right

1 - 8 of 8 Posts