Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my chums,

Can anyone please give me some advice on a cool box/fridge? We are going to the south of France in a few weeks, and take two days to travel down and back each. We usually bring back cheese and stuff, but buy it further north so that it doesn't start walking on its own. It would be nice ot get some southern types back too, hence the cool box.

The Audi fridge is £141 and is an Ezetil E40 ISO Titan

Does anyone have a better idea and some experience of another type?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Depending on how much you are bringing back, the glovebox has a vent at the back you can open and is connected to the A/C... If you are going to be in the car most of the day driving it will stay cool and you would be saving yourself a few quid on buying a fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
First off there is a brand new fridge of the type you mention on gumtree for £75 but please read on!
We use two portable fridge / freezers for traveling to and from south of france
However i note that the type your looking at only cools to 22 degrees below ambiant so its not much use in the south of France and much further up if the weather is good.
What you really need is a Waeco which has a compressor (its almost silent) and can be set to work as a fridge or even freeze down to -18. They work off 12v or 240v so are very useful as an extra unit at Christmas or parties.
They arnt cheap mind but you can pick them up on ebay (they make all different sizes i.e. internal litres) and you can always sell them on afterwards. Waeco also make just a fridge unit that would be cheaper.
If your leaving the UK then absorbtion fridges are useless and so are the cool box type your considering. For the proper job you need a compressor fridge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought one from Halfrauds for our trip to Switzerland and to the Audi forum in Ingolstadt recently, it operates both from the 12V socket in the boot and 240V which was very handy when staying in a hotel.
Worked without problem, can recommend you get one. Mine was about £70 or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts