Audi Q5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this of any real use ? Stuggling to keep fingers off ticks against the options and looking for things to delete. Could this be one of them or is it a no brainer for the cost ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Alski,

This is one of the more popular topics regularly discussed. It all comes down to personal choice. Without the collapsible wheel you are relying on the supplied mobility foam and compressor or a rescue service to repair/replace your tyre, assuming they have a suitable tyre available. The foam and compressor will of course be useless if you have a shredded tyre. With the collapsible spare you at least have the option to bolt in on and travel to the nearest tyre fitting shop or get home for mobile tyre unit to come to you.

From my perspective being stuck with a shredded tyre waiting for the AA on a wet Sunday with screaming kids is a no brainer for ?75, but as I said its all personal choice.

Squirrel

·
Registered
181 Posts
yep, same here - I bumped it on and off my list about 10 times, but then I could just picture me on the side of the road at 3 in the morning in the driving rain and stupid foam (which never works) p*ssing all over my alloy wheels, looking back to the ordering and hating myself for being a cheapskate...

I ordered it in the end, and the day will come when I am really smug that I did

G

·
It's one of those things.... I you order it, you'll never need to use it, but if you don't order it - guess what!

Antipidean Q5's come with it as standard - for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i didn't order it as it was unclear on the spec document when I ordered in Oct 2008, I regretted it when I picked the car up as the thought of the spray filler is not ideal when you have kids. I managed to get the dealer to order it when they got there next demo car as ordering retrospectively would have cost close to ?500 ( order at time of order was ?100) they gave it to free in the end and just feel better knowing I have a spare in the event of a puncture or blowout

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hadn't even thought about this until reading this thread - but imagine being stuck in a country lane in the Lakes (I go there a lot) at night after having torn the sidewall on one of those rocks at the road side! The foam/gel filer wouldn't be much use?

Poor show by Audi, selling a soft roader with no spare! Anyways I have just added it to my order at ?110, but the bad news is that I am still looking at an early June delivery for a car ordered last November - Jeez - they must be selling like hot cakes !!

I do carry tins of Holts type tyreweld anyway, just in case the puncture isn't too significant.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You should order the collapsible and foam, best of both worlds. Actually you can't beat a proper spare but what can you do?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just thought I would bump this one after my experience with the collapsible spare wheel yesterday.

Decided to "one hit" Port Grimaud to Worcester yesterday, which is about 970 miles and a projected 15 hours of travel.

488 miles and 7 hours in, the left rear let go in the fast lane - for some reason my Orange phone wouldn't let me connect to the Audi Assistance numbers (useful!) - so on went the collapsible spare wheel.

The manual states it is for short distance, emergency journeys only, but with no chance of sorting out a 20" tyre in the middle of France on a Sunday afternoon, we decided to at least try to get to the "Chunnel".

Another 480 miles later at 50 mph (and unfortunately another 13 hours later), the car is sat on my drive with the spare tyre looking as good as new !!

So, for anyone wondering if they are worth the money, my advice is just get one specced when you order your car !

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too had the same dilemma. I though how many times have I had a puncture in the last ten year - zero - so I did not order one. Big mistake!

What I had not taken into account was the Q5 can go off road.

If you are always around town close to where the RAC can get to you then the foam or RAC as a back are probably fine. However if you head off down some un-made track and take out a tyre, you are at the mercy of the foam. Will the RAC come and rescue you down some un-made track? I don't know. I definitely had a spare with me when I depart form the tarmac.

PS anyone who has spare they don't need, stick up for sale in the market place - I am sure it will fetch a good price.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Also note that the foam stuff has a Best by use date. Immagine you forgot to check on it and it doesn't work because it's out of date!

I have both

·
Registered
578 Posts
Already ordered my car and its due for delivery very soon, I had no idea it did not come with a spare wheel, the brochure offers very little information and I'm not sure what collapsable even means! Anyway, can anyone confirm if there is space in the boot under the carpet for a spare compact wheel? I can probably pick one up off ebay or order one from the Stealership. Also if you foam up a tyre you HAVE to purchase a replacement if I remember correctly?

·
Banned
801 Posts
Already ordered my car and its due for delivery very soon, I had no idea it did not come with a spare wheel, the brochure offers very little information and I'm not sure what collapsable even means! Anyway, can anyone confirm if there is space in the boot under the carpet for a spare compact wheel? I can probably pick one up off ebay or order one from the Stealership. Also if you foam up a tyre you HAVE to purchase a replacement if I remember correctly?
If you ordered B & O sound system you will get the spare wheel because the subwoofer is placed inside.
Depends on the market are the following combinations:
1st just an air pump,
2nd spare tire + air pump
3rd spare tire + spray repair tires,

·
Banned
842 Posts
Can you confirm this as I've ordered B&O but had to order the space saver as an extra option...

·
Registered
58 Posts
The collapsible spare wheel sits under the boot floor with the Bang & Olufsen amp sitting inside it.

If you have B&O, there is no room for a traditional "space saver tyre" never mind a full size spare. The collapsible wheel is the only one that fits.

Well worth the £110 option price

·
Registered
69 Posts
Spijun, if you order B&O it does not automatically come with collapsable spare wheel. You have to order it. I made a mistake and did not order it.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Spijun, if you order B&O it does not automatically come with collapsable spare wheel. You have to order it. I made a mistake and did not order it.
Ok maybe I'm wrong. I did not order collapsable spare wheel and I got the same.
Please tell me where you stand as a subwoofer.
Maybe it depends on the market where the sales

G

·
The collapsible spare wheel sits under the boot floor with the Bang & Olufsen amp sitting inside it.

If you have B&O, there is no room for a traditional "space saver tyre" never mind a full size spare. The collapsible wheel is the only one that fits.

Well worth the £110 option price
Whoever had designed this is really intelligent? Nice way of saving space as well as nice look also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just QQ for anyone who had bad luck to use collapsible spare; once puncure happen what did you do with real wheel? It is too big to fit into place after spare; to big diameter to fit into place (especially if you have trunk organizer like on pictures in this thread) and also to high to let the floor to be closed. I fit is just during way to back from work, maybe this will work. But lets imagine you're traveling with your whole family for skiing in the winter mud...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts