Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, 'tis a topic we've all probably taken part in at some time or other, and the answers are generally similar; vinegar, rainex, fairy liquid etc etc. With previous cars a couple of minutes has been the maximum I've ever had to wait, hence I've avoided having to apply any of the usual suggestions. Having just watched my wife having to wait nearly 10 minutes before she could safely drive off - outside temp is a mild 8c, it's been raining all day, fans and air con on full - I'm beginning to wonder if the Q5 is the worst car I've ever had when it comes to clearing inside fog. I'd be very interested to know the views of this forum. Any definitive tips or advice for either a quick way to clear or a good way to prevent? Thanks, dave.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I haven't had any serious fogging yet - but that which I have had has cleared very quickly...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Non here either but in fairness we are only just entering that time of year

Noticed the front fog lights had a small area of fogging in yesterday but i guess that doesn't count.

I have had one car that was really bad for it so i know just how irritating that is. Have you checked around all the carpet edges for damp as that was the cause of mine (leak up behind the top of the passenger footwell)

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I find opening the windows helps clear the window quicker. Never had to wait 10 minutes, is your wife a heavy breather?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Maybe a stupid question, but did your wife have the a/c off when it took 8 mins?
Having the a/c on makes it much quicker...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
489 Posts
No probs for me..

·
Registered
58 Posts
No probs here - I just press the windscreen demist button that automatically puts the air-con on (if it was not on previously), and within a few seconds all clear.

It might be worth checking that there is nothing that *may* be damp in the car - Wet shoes left in the car overnight, or even a cloth you use for wiping the car down/ demisting the windscreen might be a culprit............

Compared to my previous car (Skoda Octavia), this clears really quickly and stays clear.

J

·
Banned
842 Posts
She can't be using the A/C she'll just be using the heater and waiting for it to get to temperature. Mine takes seconds.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It turns the A/C on to de-humidify the air before then heating it. Its not very efficient to cool then heat, but makes de-misting better...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I haven't driven my Q5 for 4 days, it's been sitting out in the rain and in temperatures around 7 or 8 degrees c. Got in it this evening and absolutely no misting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bugger. Just me then. Or more correctly, just the wife. Didn't happen to me this morning. Valid points re. the air con, the wife definitely had the air con on, and everything at full blast at the windscreen.

Missile, it's entirely possible that my wife's apparent hatred of the weekly jaunt to the local tesco is merely a facade, beneath which hides an eager and breathless anticipation of the dubious joys of rubbing shoulders with the average Royston morlock. But then again, probably not.

Reasonable-sounding suggestions made about either a leak somewhere or something damp left in the car. Couldn't spot a leak, although there was a slightly damp brolly on the floor, could this really have caused the problem? Hope so, really wasn't looking forward to rubbing vinegar or whatever into the windscreen and going around smelling like an old chippie.

Thanks for all your responses!

·
Registered
202 Posts
might sound obvious but check all the windows are fully shut - might look shut but even a few mm can let the moisture in.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
If the windscreen is not clean on the inside it is more prone to fogging. Cigarette smoke in the cabin also leaves a residue on the windscreen (and everywhere else including you lungs) which makes it prone to fogging. A perfectly clean windscreen should not fog up unless there is a source of moisture in the cabin such as a leak causing a damp carpet.
Smoking in an Q5 .................................. surely that is sacrilege

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Smoking in a Q5 .................................. surely that is sacrilege
Off topic, but the smoking pack is standard, and you have to opt out on the Q5, whereas other models you have to opt in... Wonder how they decide which way they set it for each model!?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Off topic, but the smoking pack is standard, and you have to opt out on the Q5, whereas other models you have to opt in... Wonder how they decide which way they set it for each model!?

I missed this one and would have opted out if I had seen it.

What would I get instead if I had have opted out?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
You are right, it's gone now...

You would just get a 12v socket... The ashtray would remain I think.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
In a.n.other models they remove the ash trays front and rear and fit a storage trays. As a non smoker, I would have preferred this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts