Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Its now been 3 weeks of ownership and I'm enjoying the car no end, as you can imagine being new and white the car is getting a few washes at the moment. One thing I've noticed when it comes to drying there seems to be water trapped behind the black plastic covers on the inside of the tailgate.
The covers I am referring to cover the back of the rear lights.

First things first, is water supposed to be able to get in there? It seems to be in the run off area so I'm guessing so? I use a pressure washer when prewashing and rinsing so obviously water gets where rain wouldn't necessarily be able to.

The real pain about it is when I'm drying and closing the tailgate water keeps running out on to the bumper and I'm there for about 10 minutes opening and closing the tailgate to get all the water out.

I'm guessing these black covers are removable in order to replace the rear bulbs etc? if so how to they come off? I had a small pull at them but obviously don't want to break any clips etc.

Help is always appreciated.

MT

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Hi,

Water is not supposed to get in there. I pressure wash mine and don't have that issue.

A forum member reported that his lights were cracked at the location fixing. You might want to check yours?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Missile,

Can't see any cracks, would these be behind the black covers? The area I'm talking about is the other side of the water seal of the tailgate. Just taken a photo to show.

We've just had a bit of rain (clean it this morning too!) as you should be able to see there's water there without the pressure washer involved.

MT

·
Registered
157 Posts
Had my white SQ5 for 8 days and cleaned it for the first time today and found the same thing. Seems to also be inside the wing mirror housing and dripping onto the car after I've dried it. Did notice quite a lot from various places on the inside of the tailgate which was surprising. The other thing I noticed now I've had my hands on the car to clean it is how many places seem (dare I say it) rather cheap feeling. Really wasn't expecting this on an Audi.

·
Registered
202 Posts
it is possible that the tailgate catch needs adjustment as it isnt sealing all the way round?
do you have auto boot close?
best to get it checked out - hopefully you are near your dealership

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
naq5,
Completely agree, I get dripping from the wing mirrors too. Also on the ends of the roof bars and the chrome around the windows.
I had the bonnet up too for the first time after washing and was quite a bit of water to dry up under there.

Scottishjock,
I have a manual tailgate but the water I'm talking about is on the outer side of the rubber seal so no water actually getting into the boot space. Don't think the boot closing tighter will make a difference in this case.

MT

·
Registered
952 Posts
10 mins with an air compressor blowing out the mirrors and any crevices will be my plan. First wash for me tomorrow but I am anal about drips. After drying I stuff papers towels anywhere that drips occur to catch anything coming out. Takes a few weeks with a new car to learn where the drips come from.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi Missile,

Can't see any cracks, would these be behind the black covers? The area I'm talking about is the other side of the water seal of the tailgate. Just taken a photo to show.

We've just had a bit of rain (clean it this morning too!) as you should be able to see there's water there without the pressure washer involved.

MT
Majortom,
Nothing wrong with your car, it is just one of the places water collects regardless of how you wash it. I am a hose user rather than a power-washer and always have drips if you put the tailgate down. Leaving it sitting in the garage with the tailgate up for a couple of hours after washing and drying results in less drips when you close it. This phenomenon of dripping on the upper surface of the bumper when you close the tailgate after washing is common to A4 & A6 Avants as well as Q5. Bit of a pest but I've just learned to live with it over the years.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just double checked mine today and yes I have the same water collection.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, glad I'm not alone in this. Does anyone know how they remove? At least I can dry the water out a little quicker.

MT

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys,

Took a leap of faith and gave the rear light covers a little pull and they do come off no problem. There's two big poppers on he inside which are rubberized. As you pull at them get your hand in so not to crack the plastic, once off you can dry out the insides and no more running out water every time you close the tailgate after washing.

MT

·
Registered
952 Posts
Removing them too often would worry me a bit as they may snap or weaken the fixings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You guys need a 'Metro Sidekick Blaster' to blast the water out of the cracks and crevices. A quick fire round following up with a towel stops all those drips and keeps the OCD at bay.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Davyk,
As I said they are rubberized and quite large poppers, very different to what you would find in a door panel for example. Almost as if they were designed to regularly removed, with the amount of water that can get behind them after washing it would make sense!

MT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts