Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used any of those mobile scratch/scuff repair people?

Any good or bad experiences to report?

·
Banned
842 Posts
Very much depandant on the skill level of your local guy mate. I used them for some alloy scuffs on my old car and apart from the guy taking a break to pray half way through the job the wheels looked brand new when he finished!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Golfer,

used my local chips away guy for my old black a£ and for my wifes silver polo and have no complaints about their work!

ask about cash and see what can be done!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was a deep scratch on the bottom side of front plastic bumper caused by glancing blow to corner post. Chipsaway quoted me £156. I'd been quoted £140 by a local garage. I have just had it done by a local independent (T & S Smart Repairs ( www.tsrepairs.co.uk )) He spent 3 hours on it and did what looks to be a perfect job for £80. He said he used to work for Chipsaway and that the franchise holders have to come up with £1,500 a month before they start making money. He seemed like a genuine guy. I told him that his website was poor and unlikely to attract customers. If it hadn't been part of the part-ex deal and I had been keeping the car I'd have paid the local garage £140 just because TandS had no track record. Now seeing what he did, how he did it and the finished job I'd use him again (for chips and scratches).

The point is - there may be an ex-Chipsaway now independent guy near you that could save you some money.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I use a garage in one of the roughest parts of Bradford.

The guy that works there is a master of all things body work and paint and contracts to Ferrari, Aston and the like. He said he once had a guy bring his DB9 in for a quote but the guy turned his nose up at the place and never came back. 4 weeks later the car came on the back of the low loader from the local Aston dealership. The guy had gone to the main dealer for a quote and unbeknownst to him the local dealership contracted the work out to him - he even saw the quote - 40% more expensive than he had originally quoted the customer in the first place and all the dealership had done was put it on a truck and drive it 2 miles down the road!

Reactions: jadewoo

·
Registered
221 Posts
I use a garage in one of the roughest parts of Bradford.

The guy that works there is a master of all things body work and paint and contracts to Ferrari, Aston and the like. He said he once had a guy bring his DB9 in for a quote but the guy turned his nose up at the place and never came back. 4 weeks later the car came on the back of the low loader from the local Aston dealership. The guy had gone to the main dealer for a quote and unbeknownst to him the local dealership contracted the work out to him - he even saw the quote - 40% more expensive than he had originally quoted the customer in the first place and all the dealership had done was put it on a truck and drive it 2 miles down the road!
Chopper,

Which garage is that please, always handy to have recommendations

·
Banned
842 Posts
Its White Rose Garage, 30 Brownroyd Hill Road, Bradford, BD6 1SA. Guy who runs it is called Darren. Telephone is 01274 415900.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks,

In my experience though that's one of the posh parts of Bradford

·
Banned
842 Posts
Ah you must be part of the Little Horton Massive!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts