Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a business trip to Shanghai and spotted a Q5 variant I've not seen before - a 4.0 version.
Was in the back of a cab at the time and unfortunately didn't have time to get a photo.
I am assuming that it's either a petrol model (car is presumably too small to shoehorn the 3.7 or 4.2 diesel engines from the Q7) or perhaps more likely, a standard model pimped up with dodgy engine designation badging? Tail pipes looked quite beefy
Can anyone shed any light on overseas models / variants such as these? Do they really make them?

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Barbyboy
I can definitely help you with this!
Iam a Brit but I live in China about half the time.Iam in a City (15m people) called Chengdu.The Chinese love Audis.They are everywhere here.I see a Q5 every 30 seconds if I walk down the street and was initially confused by the badging.
In March I decided to buy an SQ5 in the UK.I wasn't sure about the Colour so went to visit the local dealer to have a look.
Massive dealership just like UK all marble,glass and aluminum.The sales people were busy so we sat in the guest area....no coffee and biscuits.....green tea and chickens feet were the order of the day!
When I asked about SQ5 the sales person was not impressed...she gave me a brochure ( petrol version here) but said no one had ever bought one as for that money you can get the Bigger (read blinger) Q7.... She could not understand why I would want a smaller car when I could have a bigger one.....my wife explained it was about "face".Sales person got bored and left us so I just walked around.
Seems they have 2 engines....4.0 TFSI and a 2.0 TFSI but no diesel.Can tell you the power outputs but suspect they will not be great!We are not missing out:)
I have friends here who work for the new Volvo factory in this city....they are totally frustrated by the quality of manufacture.Certainly when I sat in a Q5 the leather....plastics and switch gear were all much worse that we are used to.
Hope that helps!?
Cheers RDP - that solves it.
Was my first visit to Shanghai last week - 26 million people in one city - amazing! Quite liked the buzz of the place but found driving habits crazy and obsessive use of car horns ridiculous. Even as a pedestrian, you seem to have to take your life into your own hands!
Was interested to see that most taxis seem to be a variant on an old VW model - a Passat I think - and was amazed at the number of old Rover 75's too. Plenty of bling also - an Aventador in turquoise blue with gold stripes and more Ferrari's, McLaren's, Aston Martins etc. than you could shake a stick at.
I'll be going back in about 4 months time and will try to get a shot of a 4.0 Q5 if I see another one (most seem to be white??!!).
ATB.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts