Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ahead of ordering my Q5, I wonder if anyone could shed some light on something for me please?

I am aware that the USB port for the AMI is located in the glove box, which is somewhat annoying as I would like to be able to easily plug/unplug my iphone (4s) into/from this socket each time I enter/exit the car (as I do with my current Lexus IS which has the USB socket more conveniently located under the armrest).

So, taking this into account, I suspect I'll end up just buying an iPod to keep permanently in the glove box as the music source (using iDevices is the only way to play gapless audio if I'm not mistaken). However, this does leave me with the issue of needing another solution for charging my phone (particularly on long drives) - at least without resorting to 12v adapters and trailing leads across the console.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the phone preparation -low option to do this (i.e. slot my phone into the cradle and use it for both calls and AMI)? Or does this only support phone functionality (but at least it charges it if not).

How are other people charging their phone whilst using the AMi slot?

TIA

Marc

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I am getting a USB extension cable and having my dealer run it from then glovebox, through the tunnel and pop out in the cubby hole under the armrest.
I have prep high so there is a blanking plate in there which they can use to bring the cable through.
Maybe they could do similar for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mproudfoot

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
is it just for charging? if it mainly for music use the jukebox or SDCards, much better/easier than messing with apple.
if its just for charging, you "could" just get a USB lighter socket - put this in either the front or rear and its simply plug and play as you get in.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
There is a 12v outlet in the cubby hole in mine as well, not sure if this is because I have no cradle in there tho?

Reactions: mproudfoot

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for all the quick replies (not used to that!) - see comments below

There is a 12v outlet in the cubby hole in mine as well, not sure if this is because I have no cradle in there tho?

Ah, I just realized that after looking through the brochure again - so assuming I can fit a 12v charging cable under the armrest (and still close it), that's also a good solution (albeit still needing me to use something additional as the music source.

Anyway, I'm much more relaxed about this (admittedly minor) concern now I can see there's a few options open - thanks again folks

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I use Bluetooth audio streaming, maybe see if that is standard or you need low/high prep as then you can charge in the armrest from the 12v.
Only thing is you need to use the phone to choose the album/playlist you want and are limited to pause/skip track through the MMI.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Thought I'd end up using my iPhone all the time for music. Used the MMI cable once and decided much easier using an SD card, if you use both slots you can have 64GB of music without the hassle of plugging in your phone all the time or draining the battery using bluetooth.

At 320kbps on the B&O the sound is good with no appreciable loss of performance.

Mymemory sell the 32GB cards for £9.99

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought I'd end up using my iPhone all the time for music. Used the MMI cable once and decided much easier using an SD card, if you use both slots you can have 64GB of music without the hassle of plugging in your phone all the time or draining the battery using bluetooth.

At 320kbps on the B&O the sound is good with no appreciable loss of performance.

Quick question regarding the SD Cards interface - does it support playlist files (e.g. m3u/pls) or is it purely based on the folder/file structure?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It supports M3U - though a number of people have had issues getting it to recognise them...

·
Banned
842 Posts
I just manage it through folders / files on the PC but haven't tried playlists, will give it a go and report back.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
i use folders too (artist, then album) - its just easier/simpler to browse.
I only use playlists for compilations across albums,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for the replies. M3U support is actually ideal.. what i'd like to do is drop the albums onto the cards (one album per folder) and then create playlists which spans multiple albums (or specific tracks from various albums which all sounds possible).

·
Registered
40 Posts

Hi Chopper what is the make of the sd cards, I had an issue in the passed with them in my A5 granted it was a 2008 and the tech has moved on? Are the high capacity cards?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts