Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do i put this politely ....

Bloke at work hit my car ........

came into my office shut my door and i just knew it was the car.

Basically he was parked beside me, reversed, started playing with the sat nav and rolled forward into my car.

Damage is minimal, but for a 3 month old car its hard to take. luckly he missed the exhaust and alloys.

Audi quote is £850 - reputable bodyshop £425.

Lower rear light smashed, bumper creased (just see it in the photos), and the expected scratches and paint chips.
His car had a cracked reg plate and some scratched that would buff out.

To be fair to him he is a nice guy and fessed up straight away. He was worried sick apparently telling me as i was in a meeting at the time. He has just had a kid and cash is tight so i did the honorable thing and agreed to the cheaper quote under no pressure from him. I have used them before so happy with quality.

Gutted

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Shit mate.

I had someone graze the rear bumper on my last car at only 2 months old - mine either didn't realise or scarpered though.

Its gutting on any car, but when it's new it hurts that bit more.

At least you are getting it sorted and fair play to the guy for fessing up.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Bit unlucky there, i feel for you it would piss me off until its fixed, fair play to you excepting cheaper quote and looking after his pocket that very decent, All the best with the repair

·
Registered
348 Posts
sorry to read this scottishjock, hope the repair goes well

if it can be of any comfort, I reversed into my trailer this afternoon, taking of quite some paint of the rear bumper.
After 5 months already the first time my choice for the easy-to-repaint ibis white will come in handy

shit happens

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yup sad, I'd be pretty annoyed however as has been said the chap has been honest and owned up which counts for a lot. It's cosmetic rather than structural damage and will be soon sorted too.

·
Registered
706 Posts
In answer to your question. IT'S ONLY A CAR! and will be long gone while your colleauge will be with you for a lot longer. Tell him not to worry go for the cheaper option and buy his kid something nice for xmas. You will feel a million dollars for it.

Reactions: Robin T

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
We had it happen on the white one.
The light cluster is a cheap part from memory and we had chips away do the missing paint under the light.

The cost was less than £140 all in and you couldn't tell the difference

·
Banned
842 Posts
For something like this I'd honestly prefer to go to a reputable body shop. I had an incident like yours when mine was 6 days old. I went through the third party insurers and asked for Audi to fix it. I saw my mate who owns a body shop to show him the new car a few weeks later and he noticed the repair straight away, he said its good but not as good as I could do it! He charged me a pack of beers to touch it up.

Well done to the guy for doing the right thing, a rarity in this day and age...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sorry to hear mate. I would be gutted too as we all would be
Agreed. There is nothing worse than someone damaging your vehicle especially when it is so new. However thankfully this guy was honest and you will find a good resolution to the issue. I'd be interested to see how good a match you get ( and I have this colour too so am especially curious). I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I said im going to the bodyshop rather than audi - one thing i failed to ask was to make sure they were going to use proper audi paint. will definitely make sure they do when i take it in on tuesday.
Will also ask (as advised by the bloke who detailed it when new) to make sure they cover protect the whole car when spraying the bumper to protect from over spray. Suspect the bumper will be off anyway so probably not to worry.
Just for info the light assembly costs £54 +vat.

We are all taking the piss out the bloke at work now - he will be good for it, for another year at least

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good on him for telling you and good on you for taking the lower quote. People do a lot worse in car parks/streets and still drive off without owning up.

I would have no qualms about getting a bodyshop to do the work. At the end of the day, it's the skill of the guy doing the work and not the badge above the door that counts. I had something similar happen to me back when I had an MX5. Everyone I spoke to warned me away from the local Mazda dealer and I went to a recommended coachworks who did an excellent job. Unsurprisingly, the Mazda dealer was almost twice as much too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts