Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or is this only do-able using the button on the inside?

Seems sometimes when walking away from the car, with heavy bags of shopping for instance, it would be useful to carry your keys and just just the tailgate without having to lift the things you're carrying. Or put them down to achieve it.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S - Volcano Grey
429 Posts
No, you can only close the tailgate using the button inside the tailgate, or by manually pulling the tailgate down........I do agree that it would also be useful to close it using the key fob button.

·
Still Game
4,772 Posts
Audi may want to avoid litigation in the event of an incident?

Apparently it is a safety feature, to avoid an inattentive owner closing the boot when someone / something may be trapped. That could never happen, I hear you say(?) I did read about a car owner who jumped into his car reversed down his drive killing his 3 year old child.

I believe there is a modification available, to enable closure using the fob. There is a post about this on this forum, if you search.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a post on this forum, which then links out to RS246, but it's quite old.

It seems to suggest that it's possible with additional hardware, OR maybe via VAGCOM.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can set it to work from the fob, done my mate's A6 but never bothered on mine - I figured if you could press the key you could press the button...

His beeps when closing if activated by the fob.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The pre-production demonstrator doing the rounds of the dealers before launch actually had the ability to close using the key fob. I was really disappointed when my car arrived without this feature.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Or is this only do-able using the button on the inside?

Seems sometimes when walking away from the car, with heavy bags of shopping for instance, it would be useful to carry your keys and just just the tailgate without having to lift the things you're carrying. Or put them down to achieve it.
There's a guy in the states called Doug Robling that builds a module to do just this.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-q-model-line-83/remote-tailgate-close-module-209087/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Picked up my brand new 2018 Q5 today. So I tested all options for you.
I have full keyless entry and have swipe opening for the boot.
I can open the boot via the door button.
I can close the boot via the door button.
I can open the boot with the exterior button.
I can close the boot by the boot interior button.
I can open the boot by waving my foot underneath the car.
I can open the boot by pressing the boot button on the key fob.
I can close the boot by pressing the boot button on the key fob.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S - Volcano Grey
429 Posts
Picked up my brand new 2018 Q5 today. So I tested all options for you.
I have full keyless entry and have swipe opening for the boot.
I can open the boot via the door button.
I can close the boot via the door button.
I can open the boot with the exterior button.
I can close the boot by the boot interior button.
I can open the boot by waving my foot underneath the car.
I can open the boot by pressing the boot button on the key fob.
I can close the boot by pressing the boot button on the key fob.
I presume your Q5 has the 'Advanced key with electric hands-free boot opening system' option......is this correct?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Found this on the A7 site - Not tried it myself yet has anyone else done this mod?

Close your boot remotely using your key fob (and retain the opening feature)
Go to Module 46 (cent convenience), coding, long coding helper and ensure byte two, bit two is ticked it says "Comfort operation: Remote control active". Then go to module 6D (Trunk Electrics), security access and enter security code "12345". Then still in Module 6D, click adaptation, channel and there are 4 options in there (among others) called "Activation using rear lid opening button in remote key - Touch function for closing". Select all four of those options, one at a time, and change the value to ACTIVE and press do it. Thats it. You still open your boot as normal - press and hold the middle button on the fob, but to close it, you can now just click the button on the remote (not a press and hold) and the boot will close and beep to warn you. Love this mod!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Found this on the A7 site - Not tried it myself yet has anyone else done this mod?

Close your boot remotely using your key fob (and retain the opening feature)
Go to Module 46 (cent convenience), coding, long coding helper and ensure byte two, bit two is ticked it says "Comfort operation: Remote control active". Then go to module 6D (Trunk Electrics), security access and enter security code "12345". Then still in Module 6D, click adaptation, channel and there are 4 options in there (among others) called "Activation using rear lid opening button in remote key - Touch function for closing". Select all four of those options, one at a time, and change the value to ACTIVE and press do it. Thats it. You still open your boot as normal - press and hold the middle button on the fob, but to close it, you can now just click the button on the remote (not a press and hold) and the boot will close and beep to warn you. Love this mod!
Thought I'd have a go at this the other day just to see if it works - 12345 doesn't work for security access to 6D - I did find a couple of other numbers to try but haven't been back at it yet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts