Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
On my MY13 Q5 the engine cuts out if I open the door and exit the vehicle whether I have Start-Stop enabled or not. I presume this is for safety/security reasons but it's VERY annoying that every time I take the car out the garage the car stops as I climb out to close the garage door and then I have to restart the (still cold) engine when I climb back in!

Does anyone know of any way (VAG-COM maybe?) that I can disable this feature or am I stuck with ordering an auto garage door?!?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
If you have advanced key that's just the way it is I think for security as you say due to the key not being connected to the car...
Maybe a code you can change, also not sure if you leave the key in the car? Or leave it with HHA on and in drive (though not sure I like this idea myself)!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
It does not happen with the standard key. All sorts of warnings appear in the DIS but the engine keeps running. There is a danger with changing the coding. We came across a BMW in the village recently. All doors locked and the engine running. The lady owner had met up with a friend and gone off shopping for the day. Her advanced key caused the car to lock as she got out but the engine kept running.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Yes with VCDS (Vag-Com) .
Module 46, Long coding , last byte is 0F - change to 00 and feature is gone. From www.motor-talk.de

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does not happen with the standard key. All sorts of warnings appear in the DIS but the engine keeps running. There is a danger with changing the coding. We came across a BMW in the village recently. All doors locked and the engine running. The lady owner had met up with a friend and gone off shopping for the day. Her advanced key caused the car to lock as she got out but the engine kept running.
I beg to differ...I have the standard (non advanced) key and it most certainly does happen!

Can anybody here with a standard key and MY13 try it out to see if my vehicle is not operating to spec? I ad somewhere that the MMI version change recently disabled the behaviour I'm seeing (I guess it just changed the code as detailed by Lukluk above but don't want to have to fork out for VCDS if I can avoid it)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS I wonder if it's something so do with the combination of HHA, Stop/start and MMI version? I tried driving out the garage, opening door and getting out without HHA or stop/start enabled....engine stopped. I then restarted engine and opened door and got again and the engine didn't stop.....only difference was the car HADN'T MOVED. The DIS warnings went off as aldfort suggested but the engine kept running. Of course this doesn't help me when driving out the garage!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing......even if I don't open the doors the engine will still stop upon driving out the garage if Start/ stop is not deselected. I was of the impresssion the engine should be up to a reasonable temp before start stop activates? But mine is stopping about 10-15 seconds after first start of the day?

·
Registered
289 Posts
OK no advanced key here either. Normal routine. Go to garage in the morning and unlock. Get in car and start engine, reverse out of garage and stop on drive with engine running. (note reversing sensors and reversing camera have self activated due to reversing. Stop start is not disabled by me but always seems to disable if reversing camera is active whatever the engine temp.) Open door with engine running (another note, at no time have I yet put my seatbelt on). Dire warnings appear on DIS but engine keeps running. I close garage door and hop back into car. close car door and put on seat belt. Dis warning now stop. reversing camera and sensors still active and Stop start still disabled by the car not by me. I complete the reverse off of the drive and drive away. Doors lock and reversing camera and sensors shut down. My car is MY13 built around week 12 or week 13. Mine is petrol manual, don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes but I do apply the handbrake (well work the little switch thing anyway) despite the fact the drive is dead level.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I beg to differ...I have the standard (non advanced) key and it most certainly does happen!

Can anybody here with a standard key and MY13 try it out to see if my vehicle is not operating to spec? I ad somewhere that the MMI version change recently disabled the behaviour I'm seeing (I guess it just changed the code as detailed by Lukluk above but don't want to have to fork out for VCDS if I can avoid it)
mine cuts out when i get out! I have only done it once but will try different things next time Im in the car see what happens.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I tried mine tonight once I had put it in the garage. I put the car in park, applied the handbrake, took off my seatbelt and opened the door and after about 3 seconds the car stopped.

Fortunately I have an electric door so its not an issue for me.... maybe something to consider

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've got standard key and auto box MY13. The engine stops when I open the door and needs to be restarted with the key.

If there was a system setting to avoid this I would change it as I often jump out the car to post a letter / forget something indoors / have to padlock my car park gate.

I guess it's an emissions and security benefit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to you all for replying and especially those who took the time to test their cars.

It would appear that on auto boxes this is a standard feature then as several above have noted, maybe the manual is different? I always reverse into the garage and drive straight out but may try the opposite just to check if reversing out (as aldfort does) prevents the engine stopping?

I can see the emissions/security benefits but for me at least is a royal pita! As missle suggests, I might ask the dealer if they can change the settings but I've a feeling their not as cooperative! As a last resort, if the VCDS definately works I might invest in that but am reluctant to make changes myself....,lukluk, can I ask where you sourced that code change? I'd like to absouluteky sure it does what it says before investing and playing about with VCDS settings?

·
Banned
10 Posts
Thanks to you all for replying and especially those who took the time to test their cars.

It would appear that on auto boxes this is a standard feature then as several above have noted, maybe the manual is different? I always reverse into the garage and drive straight out but may try the opposite just to check if reversing out (as aldfort does) prevents the engine stopping?

I can see the emissions/security benefits but for me at least is a royal pita! As missle suggests, I might ask the dealer if they can change the settings but I've a feeling their not as cooperative! As a last resort, if the VCDS definately works I might invest in that but am reluctant to make changes myself....,lukluk, can I ask where you sourced that code change? I'd like to absouluteky sure it does what it says before investing and playing about with VCDS settings?
Source:
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/q5-facelift-motor-automatisch-abstellen-t4318211.html?highlight=Motor%3Babstellen&page=1

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks lukluk!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts