Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to you all,

I am a new member and I have decided to buy audi Q5 with petrol 2.0 TFSI engine, manual gearbox. I need advice regarding this engine, your opinions, experiences. I buy this car mostly for long runs, almost no city drive because I have a car for that purpose.

Can anyone tell me what are the service intervals and aprox. price of them? Fuel consuption?

Please tell me as soon as possible because I am going to the dealers place tomorrow so I need to know this info.

Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Greetings to you all,

I am a new member and I have decided to buy audi Q5 with petrol 2.0 TFSI engine, manual gearbox. I need advice regarding this engine, your opinions, experiences. I buy this car mostly for long runs, almost no city drive because I have a car for that purpose.

Can anyone tell me what are the service intervals and aprox. price of them? Fuel consuption?

Please tell me as soon as possible because I am going to the dealers place tomorrow so I need to know this info.

Thank you
Hiya, I am currently driving an A4 Avant with the same engine and to be honest I find it scary watching the electronic fuel gauge deplete in increments of 5 miles every time I start the engine, compared to what it was when I last turned the engine off!! I am used to driving diesels but thought petrol engines were more efficient these days... perhaps not! Personally, I think it uses a lot more fuel than my 2L TDi passat. Hope this helps in some way

·
Banned
801 Posts
Greetings to you all,

Thank you
I sent you a private message.
If you are interested in something to report to the email address
I am from Sarajevo and I have 2.0TFSI Q5 S tronic

VOZDRA RAJVOSA

Reactions: dnw and richg

·
Registered
178 Posts
Had one for 2 years now, had to have 2 oil services (1 every year) about ?230 a time
Fuel consumption is 22 to the gallon around town/short journeys and 28-30 for motorway and longer journeys

PM if you need more info

·
Registered
132 Posts
Have a Q5 with 2.0 TFSI
Very Happy
with performance, handling, fuel consumption
Mostly London city driving and so far average is 22 mpg
Took it once on a motorway run, averaged 28mpg

Bearing in mind the cold weather and new engine - i expect these figures to improve slightly in the summer and after we put 2K miles on the car.

That said, maybe a Diesel is better for Motorway usage than a petrol. Over the years i learned that Petrols are best used in city & short run drives whilst diesels excel on motorways as they shine and their unrefined nature becomes tamed at motorway speeds.

I hope that helps

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all on your replay. I understand that the diesel engine is good for long runs but I want to keep this car at least 5 years and I asked Honest John for advice , his opinion is that petrol engine is longer lasting. Only problem I have is that I read about massive oil consuption of this engine. Is it really that high? Can it maybe be due to automatic gearbox? I will order mine in manual mode.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'd avoid the 20T

Few reasons, it sounds more like a diesel than the diesel does and its not that refined to drive
Resale, is going to take a big knock given most people want the black stuff with this type of car
Problems with carbon build
Some of the early 211 ones had valve spring problems.
economy is not that good

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd avoid the 20T

Few reasons, it sounds more like a diesel than the diesel does ....
No mate it doesn't

Will not get into an argument over this, but the diesel clatters like there is no tomorrow. If the petrol deserves any merits, it should be on how refined it feels.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
No mate it doesn't

Will not get into an argument over this, but the diesel clatters like there is no tomorrow. If the petrol deserves any merits, it should be on how refined it feels.
As you say we'll beg/agree to differ,
It's the worst engine I've experienced in a long time.
TFSI is rough and "diesel like" due to the high pressure used to inject the fuel.

If Audi offered the 2.5 RS engine i have, in the Q5 range i might have had to put my foot down and insist she had the petrol version.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Greetings to you all,

I am a new member and I have decided to buy audi Q5 with petrol 2.0 TFSI engine, manual gearbox. I need advice regarding this engine, your opinions, experiences. ....
Tell you what, each one's opinion maybe biased here by their own choice, so best advise is to test a Q5 with both engines and given your own circumstances make your own mind up. That's what i did and what most people here would do, unless ofcource you don't have access to an Audi dealer

I made my decision after doing some online research and a couple of test drives. What helped me conclude my decision is knowing that 65 respected automotive journalists from 32 countries has voted the 2.0 TFSI International Engine of the Year Award for 4 years in a row 2005-2008.

That said, no matter which engine you choose, you'll love the Q5. As i said before, the 2.0Tdi is more suitable for motorway driving, which you said you'll do most.
Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also agree with you regarding this petrol engine, if it was so bad it would not be one of the best petrol engines ever. Why I try to avoid diesel engine is because right now car I own is diesel, Touareg 2.5 R5 diesel, and I hate it because it need ages to get to cruising speed. Petrol engines have much more rpm and are more agile and elastic, that is why I would like to have petrol engine now.

Unfortunaly, I cant try any engine because my dealer dont have any test car, which is quite sad. Even for the car i order i need ages to get it. As far as i can see, all owners who have problem with oil consuption have S tronic gearbox , I dont know is the situation any different with manual gearbox.:S

This is why I ask your opinion, because in some way I am buying car on blind. That is why I need best opinions , experiences, test and exc. Than there is opinion I got from Honest John, you all probably know him, especially UK fox. He sad that petrol engine is longer lasting because after 3 years on diesel engines problems can develop. I am have to bring very important decision and it is not easy when you dont have enough info to make it.

Please people , if there is someone who can tell me its opinion regarding 2.0 TFSI engine, on long term, his experiences , fuel economy, problems, oil consumption, especially if he/she has manual version. All opinions are welcome.

By the way I would pass maybe 15 000km a year with this car, 70% long distances, nothing fast because we do not have much of highway in my country, mostly 80-90 km/h, sometimes little bit faster. I think it is possible to have acceptable fuel economy it conditions like this.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Greetings to you all,

Thank you
Here is your link to review one of the owners Q5:

http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php?/topic/1063-q5-20tfsi-s-line-after-50000-km-review/page__p__8768__fromsearch__1#entry8768

Browse little forum you find interesting and different opinions about the Q5.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think you will find that the 2.0TFSI is an absolute cracker of an engine. I took one for a spin on the weekend and found it quite perky and it made the car feel lighter than my 3.0TDI. The only thing is that you will need to be prepared for potentially high (scary) oil consumption. The transmission has absolutely nothing to do with the oil consumption of the engine. The reason why you notice correlation between the auto and oil consumption is due to most markets offering the auto as standard so you don't hear of many people with manual 2.0TFSI's.

As far as longevity is concerned, at only 15k km per year, you should get a good 20+ years of life out of it with ease (if not more like 50). I wouldn't expect the 2.0TFSI to be any better than the TDI in terms of life and if you are concerned about acceleration, then you could always consider the 3.0TDI.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also agree with you regarding this petrol engine, if it was so bad it would not be one of the best petrol engines ever. Why I try to avoid diesel engine is because right now car I own is diesel, Touareg 2.5 R5 diesel, and I hate it because it need ages to get to cruising speed. Petrol engines have much more rpm and are more agile and elastic, that is why I would like to have petrol engine now.

Unfortunaly, I cant try any engine because my dealer dont have any test car, which is quite sad. Even for the car i order i need ages to get it. As far as i can see, all owners who have problem with oil consuption have S tronic gearbox , I dont know is the situation any different with manual gearbox.:S

This is why I ask your opinion, because in some way I am buying car on blind. That is why I need best opinions , experiences, test and exc. Than there is opinion I got from Honest John, you all probably know him, especially UK fox. He sad that petrol engine is longer lasting because after 3 years on diesel engines problems can develop. I am have to bring very important decision and it is not easy when you dont have enough info to make it.

Please people , if there is someone who can tell me its opinion regarding 2.0 TFSI engine, on long term, his experiences , fuel economy, problems, oil consumption, especially if he/she has manual version. All opinions are welcome.

By the way I would pass maybe 15 000km a year with this car, 70% long distances, nothing fast because we do not have much of highway in my country, mostly 80-90 km/h, sometimes little bit faster. I think it is possible to have acceptable fuel economy it conditions like this.
There are loads of reviews on the Q5 2.0TFSI if you search
But don't forget that everything is relative to your expectations. For instance, don't expect a heavy petrol SUV to save you money in fuel?! You buy the car as a whole, for its quality, design, handling, space, practicality, performance, ....not just to save $$ on fuel, otherwise there are loads of other cars that can do that far better than the Q5.

That said, here is a start
http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1055386_2011-audi-q5
http://www.driving.ca/2011+Audi+Chronicles/4065011/story.html
http://www.audiworld.com/news/11/roadtest-11-q5/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/18/AR2011021802269.html
http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/audi/q5-4x4/summary/25830-3
http://www.roadrecord.co.uk/news/article/audi-q5-2.0-tfsi-quattro-se
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=d0eb35c2-3e85-426f-80a5-ed62a0b0c762
http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=278&PN=1

And some owners reviews
http://www.edmunds.com/audi/q5/2011/consumer-reviews.html

·
Banned
801 Posts
I do not want to be a wrong understanding but the rating of a car magazine for me is not relevant. Because 80% of the journalist writes a review based on the data to their factories.
Authoritative is the only test when you write a journalist who drove the car 25 000 or 50,000 km and not when you drive 100km.
Signs of journalists bring the factory data and add their impressions from the test drive and it's rating car?
Please just type in Google "2.0TFSI oil consumption"
For me, the car owner relevant data and not the journalists who were paid more perhaps from the factory to write all the best.
Of course many people have positive experiences with 2.0TFSI engine but also has many who have a lot of trouble.
Of course, when people buy Audi expect the best because it is a premium class car.
Also pay a good price and not expect problems.

Fuel consumption is also much larger and far more than what Audi says in the catalog.
This is the factory fuel consumption data for the Q5:
City: 10,4 Liters
Highway: 7,3 Liters
Combined: 8,5 Liters

·
Registered
132 Posts
I do not want to be a wrong understanding but the rating of a car magazine for me is not relevant. Because 80% of the journalist writes a review based on the data to their factories.
Authoritative is the only test when you write a journalist who drove the car 25 000 or 50,000 km and not when you drive 100km.
[/b]
I do read a lot of reviews from experts before i make a large purchase decision.

To each their own i suppose

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a tdi loaner when mine went into the garage for some warranty work, the only thing I liked was the fuel consumption, its was noisy as hell that diesel engine, seriously you can't hear the petrol in comparison, the diesel was sluggish and slow compared the 2.0TSFI

I have had the 2.0 TSFI since March 2009, yes thats 2 years, only had to fill (when warned) the oil once in 2 years of driving

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
My 2.5TFSI has used less the a 1/4ltr in 18months

20TFSI in the Q5 is not the same one as the engine of the year winner for 2005-8. (EA113)
Q5 20T is EA888, and was engine of the year in the 1.8 segment for 2009

·
Banned
801 Posts
My 2.5TFSI has used less the a 1/4ltr in 18months

20TFSI in the Q5 is not the same one as the engine of the year winner for 2005-8. (EA113)
My old A41.8TFSI has used less 0.5 liters every 15,000 km.
My friend has an A4 1.8TFSI model 2010 and does not consume oil.
The only problem is the engine 2.0TFSI

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for clarifying this

1 - 20 of 30 Posts