Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After returning home tonight I opened the boot of my SQ5 and there was a strong smell of melting/burning plastic. I looked under the car and it seemed the smell might have been coming from wires from the top of the right hand side exhausts. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It had me worried the first time it did this. It smells less after it's done it a couple of times. Mines done it 3 times in 7000 miles to my knowledge, it may have done it more though as you won't realise unless you happen to stop mid regeneration.

I'm surprised dealers don't mention it at hand over as lots of people on here have been worried by it so I'm sure many more have rung their dealer concerned as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Jose I was going to ring Audi and have it taken in you have put my mind at rest! Agree thy should mention it as its a worrying smell

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
No worries. Glad to help. On the assumption it doesn't do it for another few weeks you should be good.
Be aware that it may do it for more than one consecutive journey if it started to regenerate just as you stopped, then the next journey it will try again until it completes a cycle. It only takes 10-20 mins depending on driving conditions - if you do a lot of motorway miles you will likely never witness one.
Nice explanation here if you are interested http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel-particulate-filters/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called Audi today and yes Jose your are correct they also mentioned wax on the exaust that could cause plastic burning smell

·
Registered
151 Posts
My SQ5 has done the same on three ocassions that I know of. The fans were also running. I would have described the smell to be somewhat akin to a burning clutch. I checked this out with Audi and they confirmed that it was the regeneration and was nothing to worry about.

ZED

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
A mate of mine had the same sort of thing on his S5 Cab, a couple of weeks ago he picked me up on his way back from collection and stuck it on dynamic (obviously to enhance exhaust sound
) and by the time he dropped me back it smelt like burning plastic. Must just be nothing to worry about

1 - 11 of 11 Posts