Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

After having my car and loving it for 6 weeks I feel I need to share as a warning to anyone else ordering a car with built in swing out towbar.

The socket on the bar is not fully wired for twin charging system on uk caravans. Pins 9 10 11 are blank and require a further wiring harness to be fitted.

My story is I stated this requirement from day one. I received the car and despite assurances from the dealer it did not do what I would automatically assumed it would. This had been highlighted and bought to my attention a very helpful forumite Valewood.

So after strong discussions with my dealer 60miles away they are collecting the car back, fitting the additional wiring and dropping it back. Meanwhile I take the caravan away this weekend for the first time knowing fridge will not be running while in transit and battery not charging. I would have been oblivious to this had I not been alerted. Thank god for electric hook up.

This fix would command a £300 fee! So if needing this requirement on your towbar check it now. Pin configuration is on the inside of the cover and the pins mentioned have no brass lugs in them and is very obvious.

Good luck and Happy Easter....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Aside from your dealers lack of care this is happening because in Germany they don't tow with the fridges running in their caravans.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Bigmac! That answers the query and therefore I would of thought been common knowledge to dealers!

Hopefully anyone on the forum reading this will take it up at the time of order with their dealer to avoid both my situation and possibly having to fork out for additional wiring job...

Cheers and happy Easter....

·
Registered
433 Posts
i purchased the whole wiring kit from PF JONES which was a 100% complete and I was asked if I wanted it installed as the fridge and charging is dedicated to the car and requires extra wires for the car but the kit is 100% ready for the job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've just had the swivel towbar fitted at the stealer for a very good price ???? But upon inspecting this they have only done pin 9 & 11.

There is no brass pin in 10!! I've not bought a caravan yet but looking too so would not having pin 10 be a pain for the switched live for the fridge? Or does the fridge now run from the permanent live?

TIA.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I've just had the swivel towbar fitted at the stealer for a very good price ������ But upon inspecting this they have only done pin 9 & 11.

There is no brass pin in 10!! I've not bought a caravan yet but looking too so would not having pin 10 be a pain for the switched live for the fridge? Or does the fridge now run from the permanent live?

TIA.
Got mine done FOC as a condition of sale. Only pin missing is 13 (second earth which I'm assuming is connected to the other earth and not needed).

I firstly tried testing it with a multi meter but got nothing from any of the pins, I can only guess that the car knew nothing was connected and didn't power up the harness.

When I eventually hooked it up everything was fine though, multi meter showed the caravan battery was charging but only when the engine was running. I'm no expert but this makes me think pin 9, the permanent live, may not charge the caravan battery? I know that's the pin they use for Alko ATC which needs it's own feed.

The fridge may run on the caravan battery for quite a while but you really do want it to be charging, especially on a long run, it would be a PITA to arrive on site with cold beer but not enough juice to use the caravan movers

Personally I would want pin 10 wired, are you certain it's not 13 that's missing, the Audi socket is at an odd angle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The pins without any brass in are 10 and 12.
12 I think isn't used for anything as the car recognises when somethings attached so this doesn't need to be used. 10 is the switched live I believe so not sure whether I need this as well as the permanent t live in pin 9. Pin 13 is another earth from what I can gather.
I double checked and it is definitely pin 10 and 12 which don't have any brass in. Looks like I'll be phoning Audi then to get this switched live installed.
Sorry I'm not that clued up on caravans and what pins I need to have! Permanent live I believe for aux battery charging and switched live for fridge!! I don't know..... ????

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks, this took me to a towbar for sale and I saw your comment.
I understand that part, and I asked the dealer to fit all required pins..... Yet on picking up the car it doesn't have pins 10 and pin 12 fitted!! It looks like I'll have to go back and ask them about Pin 10. But wondered if pin 12 is also needed as surely the BCM2 and electronics module will pick up when a trailer is attached so no need for pin 12???

I just want to be 100% before I phone the dealership back.

TIA

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Apologies, think I got my front and rear socket views mixed up!!!!!!!

Looking at this front image of the socket It's actually pin 12 on mine that's not wired, although it does look as if 9 will charge the caravan battery.

I thought caravan electrics would be straightforward, the 240v certainly is but the 12v side is surprisingly complicated and I'm still trying to figure it all out, i.e. if it has a habitation relay the caravan's 12v supply to internal lights etc cuts off when the engine is running so, although the battery is being charged, the fridge may not be able to run from it. I suppose a lot will depend on how the caravan is set up but I think they are pretty standard.

If I was you I'd get them to do it properly, particularly if your caravan is likely to have ATC, they've probably 'forgotten' pin 10 because it takes a bit more work wiring in the split charge relay!

My dealer told me that an add on loom is available. From looking at the job they did on mine it's very neat and impossible to tell that it wasn't done at the factory - no extra wires taped or cable clipped on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Awesome Steve, thanks so much for that.
I've called the dealership and it's booked in to have the Pin 10 done. I may call them back before it goes in to mention about the loom and the split charge relay! The rest look really good from what I've seen as you mentioned. They did say I mentioned pin 9 & 11 to them but not pin 10! Why I'd ask for an earth and not a supply I'll never know! But at least hopefully they'll get it sorted properly this time! Fingers crossed anyway! Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Awesome Steve, thanks so much for that.
I've called the dealership and it's booked in to have the Pin 10 done. I may call them back before it goes in to mention about the loom and the split charge relay! The rest look really good from what I've seen as you mentioned. They did say I mentioned pin 9 & 11 to them but not pin 10! Why I'd ask for an earth and not a supply I'll never know! But at least hopefully they'll get it sorted properly this time! Fingers crossed anyway! Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts