Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can someone explain to me what the build week actually means?

Mine has a build week of Week 2 2014 so am I correct in thinking that this means that the car will be finished and leaving the factory on that date?

If this is the case then presumably the vehicle will have started to be built by now or is this not the case and they are built from start to finish much quicker than I would have expected?

Once it has started to be built can the dealer give updates on its progress e.g. To say where it is on the production line?

Thanks,

DaytonaP

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
The car is built in a matter of hours! So the build week is when they will start, finish and ship it. And yes, once it hits the production line and gets to shipping your dealer will have pretty accurate data on its whereabouts.
However, the shipping is still a lottery of when ships are scheduled and transports are available - so can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks from when it leaves the factory.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
From what I understand its about 48 hours. If it was much longer the number if cars on the line at one time would get pretty silly.

If we take the projected figures for the upcoming new factory in Mexico...

150,000 vehicles per year, at an assumed 24/7/365 up time equates to one car off the line every 3.5 minutes!
If we go with 48 hours on the line per car, that's 822 cars on the line at any one time - which I would say is probably sensible without having an insanely large building!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so in terms of delays you are none the wiser until the car is really built if the dealer is saying a given week to you. At week 2 of 2014 I don't want the car until March so even with a longish shipping time there should be no problems. Just over 5.5 months to wait then............

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yea, the estimates move all the time. Once its confirmed (usually 4 weeks before actual build week) is when no changes can be made anymore as they will start to schedule the parts etc to be delivered to the line and so on.
But as you say, if you don't need it until March then it should be delivered to the dealer with a few weeks leeway.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The car is built in stages as in the engine and gearbox will be together and laying at the side, the doors will be built and laying at the side alone with the major components, then when the chassis is introduced to the line all the preassemled parts will arrive and then the vehicle will get built this will take hours only.
I watched them build iveco trucks and that was 8 trucks per day depending on the configuration from rigid to tractor units

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
The car is built in stages as in the engine and gearbox will be together and laying at the side, the doors will be built and laying at the side alone with the major components, then when the chassis is introduced to the line all the preassemled parts will arrive and then the vehicle will get built this will take hours only.
I watched them build iveco trucks and that was 8 trucks per day depending on the configuration from rigid to tractor units
Good point, I was ignoring all the time to make the pre fab parts like engine, doors, wiring looms etc that arrive to the line ready to go on the chassis.
No idea what the overall time is if you include all these parts, a few weeks I expect.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi, can someone explain to me what the build week actually means?

Mine has a build week of Week 2 2014 so am I correct in thinking that this means that the car will be finished and leaving the factory on that date?

If this is the case then presumably the vehicle will have started to be built by now or is this not the case and they are built from start to finish much quicker than I would have expected?

Once it has started to be built can the dealer give updates on its progress e.g. To say where it is on the production line?

Thanks,

DaytonaP
Daytona P - for what it's worth, the build week on my SQ5 is very slowly creeping forward - despite much table thumping, there was total silence from placement of vehicle order in March 2013, to finally getting some news in August 2013.
At this point I was advised that build would be week 25 (2014), although since then this has moved to week 17 and as of last week, has moved forward again to week 12 - which I think should mean build during March 2014.
Dealership is cautiously optimistic that this could yet advance to around build week 3 or 4 - which I take to mean January 2014.
It's a long-winded way of saying that it's looking like we started with an anticipated 12 month wait from order to delivery (that's assuming shipping / delivery would be 2 or 3 weeks post build week), although it seems as though we're now down to 10 months.
I'm still following the forums and still waiting very patiently...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
There's more than a single line, but each stage on the sub-assembly (15) is done in 2min blocks.
Desk thumping is pointless, AUK have no input or influence to the build date and the dealer has even less - so all that will happen is you get a sore voice/hand and look somewhat silly.

Build week 2 eek, thats hangover from newyears week!
you should see the car 1st week of feb (Week 6)

Chinese plant

·
Registered
706 Posts
I was told yesterday that my vehicle has a provisinal build date of week 50 and will take 4-6 weeks to be delivered so, the end of January is likely. But I assume that things can change either way. I am thinking about delaying it for 1 March. 14 plate does look better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, I ordered on the 19th August so not long ago. They said it would be ready end Jan possibly but decided to wait until the 14 plate.

·
Registered
700 Posts
That's a while to wait for just a build week date, I believe some dealers have already filled there allocated numbers and need to wait for more, that's only what I here from dealers

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Build week 44 given 2 months after paying deposit. Good thing too as we were considering pulling out! Suddenly following the SQ5 all these new super-diesels seem to have sprung, Alpina D3 just got released..mmmm still nothing compared to an SQ5 but still gorgeous.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts