Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member but have been lurking a while whilst considering my purchase.

Have bought a Q5 2.0 TDI (177) S line+ from local dealer with 9% discount + a few freebies (full tank, autoglym) however I'm still in 2 minds regarding S-tronic or manual. I usually go for manuals however I test drove the S-tronic and found it smooth and easy to drive. It didn't have the feel of the conventional autos in the past which I found awkward to drive. Also CO2 ratings and tax charges are the same for manual / Stronic.

My main concern is in adverse weather does the S-tronic give you less control? Also reading through the forum there seems to be issues with both manuals (dodgy clutches etc) and S-tronics, is either less troublesome? I realise people tend to post their problems - not that their cars are fine!

Spec:
Adv Key
Electric folding door mirrors
Heated front seats
Hill hold assist
Interior light pack
Rear seat bench plus
Tyre pressure monitor
Tech pack adv

On a side note the new brochure seems to confirm the MY14 cars will be able to have a separate sim and still link a phone with bluetooth as previously mentioned.

"Important connectivity information: An external data source is required to enable the Audi connect online services. One of

the two following external data sources can be used

1. A mobile telephone with Bluetooth SIM Access Profile

2. A separate SIM card which can be inserted in the included SIM card reader. When a separate SIM card is used, hands
free phone calls are possible using the SIM card or by connecting a different mobile telephone via Bluetooth HandsFree Profile"

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think quoted suits the car personally. Just had one for an extended loan and as much as I love a manual car on the Q5 it suits an auto.
You still have manual control so in winter you can be in as much control as conventional manual.

Just my thoughts but I found the adv key awful and more of a hinder emcee than a help. If I had the key I could open any door I wanted... But my wife was forever standing looking at me unable to get in.

I'm changing my order to phone prep high now they have worked around the iOS issue.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Sounds like the MMI settings for your wife's key was never set up right... There are quite a few key specific options relating to driver only or all doors and tailgate behaviours. My girlfriend and I love the adv key and seems to work flawlessly for us so far with seat position being changed as you open the door etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
It was a loaner so no doubt set to factory defaults. Either way I'll stick with the standard key lol

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
There are times when I enjoy a manual (the departed Evoque was manual and lots of fun to drive). Here in Audi-land with transmissions like STronic that's both swifter and more efficient than a manual then not withstanding the additional cost it's an absolute no-brainer - let alone the wear and tear on your left knee...yes, it can become an issue.

Audi have had clutch judder problems with the A5 2.0TDI drive train since the beginning - my 2009 A5 Cab was also effected - and there are threads on here about it too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I've booked another test drive this weekend in a STronic. If I like it I'll change my order.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
No, you can put a SIM in the car and use it for data whilst using your iPhone for calls still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've always had manual boxes and I had a manal box on my previous Q5, I have the stronic on the the new one and I am VERY pleased with it. Compared with the previous manual Q5 this car is massively better to drive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was always a manual girl (don;t read that the wrong way!)) But as I took a stock car, (as Audi was replacing a duff Q3), I was ambivalent about the box. Boy am I glad of the S-tronic, it's fast to change, smooth, and you have 4 options to change the way you go through the gears, including two manual options. So to me, it's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've always had manuals too, but my initial 1400 mile experience has been nothing but positive. Granted I had no choice with an SQ5 tho

1 - 13 of 13 Posts