Audi Q5 Forum banner

Bang & Olufsen Question

26K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  José 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My car is fitted with the Bang & Olufsen system

Can anyone tell me what i should have when I've paid £575 for the Bang & Olufsen system?

Visually I can find 12 speakers (6 have Bang & Olufsen name written on them) and an Audi standard boot mounted subwoofer. Surely a Bang & Olufsen system would have their own subwoofer?

My issue is that the Gala or sound reduction / increase system doesn't seem to do f-all (I've had it in other cars and its worked a treat) and i haven't got the settings in the MMI that the manual says i should have?

All i can do is turn Gala on or off not adjust it with the rotary settings you can with the bass or treble settings. Also having looked on the net i can see some MMI systems have a subwoofer rotary setting but I don't even have access to any subwoofer adjustments which being a Bang & Olufsen brand you would think you could adjust?

Does anyone have anything different

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Don't know about the branding on the subwoofer Wilf but I do know that the Gala and other sound settings seem to vary with the MMI version / car model. In my Q5 the gala is either on or off. Very odd as many years ago in an A4 you could vary the amount of speed related correction you got and you certainly can in some models in the Audi range now. Same thing with the tone controls. I've got treble, bass, balance and fader and that's it. I have the standard Audi sound system rather than the B&O. You would think on the upgraded system you'd get a bit more for your money. Apparently there are 4 more speakers and a different amp, that's about all I can establish. Oh I think there might be some sort of noise cancelling technology as well.

#3 ·
Ok thanks aldfort thats eased my mind slightly but it does look or sound like its a lot of money for little gain.

Why cant Audi put a foot note in their operating instructions that specs alter, other manufactures do.

#5 ·
I think its a case of 'We're B&O so we know best, no need to change the settings'. Its like if you buy a B&W home sound system, it only has one setting - volume!

I have directly compared the standard Audi offering and the B&O side by side at the dealership - the Audi one isn't bad by any means, its one of the better 'standard' stereo's out there. The B&O though is a class above, offering awesome clarity and balanced tones. A few people have complained it is not as loud as the Audi one - but this is really not a way to measure a stereo! And IMHO the B&O is plenty loud enough - at 35/35 it still does not distort, but my ears are really at the limit of comfort - why would you want it louder!?

I would say it is well worth the £600 - I would gladly pay £1000's for the ones in the A6/7, but I studied Acoustical Engineering so am a bit of an audiophile!

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's a pic of my mates B&W system... Note the pre amp in the middle has just a volume knob. And the two mono block amps either said have no controls at all!

Worth almost as much as an SQ5!

One day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I'm not rising to it this time!

#8 ·
Josè your just no fun anymore lol

Reactions: José
#11 ·
Appreciate the support guys, but the sun is out and a burn in the 300zx with the T-Top off to the pub garden was more appealing than wasting my time on a provocateur!

Why were you not out in the sun!!! It's only here for a week and then the English summer will arrive and the Q5's will be on flood duty!

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
They are Classé Audio CA-M600's with a CP-800 Pre-Amp

#17 ·
Don't get me wrong - I know they have a full EQ etc on them but as the manual says below - they are not designed to be played with other than by a professional at installation... A Q5 is a static environment and so needs no such controls either (other than the option to emphasise driver/front/back/all depending on occupants). The B&O is designed to have a very simple input of the only real variable (number/position of listeners) and it does the rest for you... Ideally they should use the seat belt warning sensor in the seats to automatically change this setting depending on how many people are in the car.

"The CP-800 Parametric EQ capability allows you to build very precise digital audio filters to help compensate for fixed sonic irregularities defined by the location and characteristics of your speakers, your room and your listening position in the room. These filters should be constructed based upon audio measurements made by a well-qualified acoustical engineer. These powerful filters are made available in a completely manual fashion to help your professional installer give you the best listening experience possible."
Source http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/pdfs/CP-800_ENG_1.3.pdf

NB - as mentioned above - I am a said acoustical engineer...

#19 ·
Don't get me wrong - I know they have a full EQ etc on them but as the manual says below - they are not designed to be played with other than by a professional at installation...
It doesn't say the same about the tone controls ;-) I think your point about the SQ5 environment is 100% valid - just that suggesting the Classé kit only had a volume control wasn't the best analogy ;-)

#22 ·
Spijun's back!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.