Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Has anyone else suffered from a back ache when they first get there Q,My wife has started to get a bad back after a week of driving it and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Rich

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi All,
Has anyone else suffered from a back ache when they first get there Q,My wife has started to get a bad back after a week of driving it and wondered if anyone had any ideas.

Rich
Not sure how the pedals are positioned by the A5 have offset pedals and you sit a bit cocked and I got major lower back pain!

My TT is a bit better, if you sit in the drivers seat and see if the clutch pedal is dead centre?

Hoggy

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how the pedals are positioned by the A5 have offset pedals and you sit a bit cocked and I got major lower back pain!

My TT is a bit better, if you sit in the drivers seat and see if the clutch pedal is dead centre?

Hoggy
Cheers Hoggy,

forgot to mention it was an auto.

Rich

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rich, I seem to remember reading a Q5 report mentioning that the auto they were driving had offset pedals? might be worth a look!
Hoggy,

Have just found a report in what car and that says about the pedals being off set,seems to be more of a problem with the manual,but does affect some drivers with the auto.hopefully we can sort it out,not sure what else to try

Rich

·
Registered
963 Posts
It could be caused by simply the fact that she may be used to going down into a car as opposed to up into the Q5. Seat and steering wheel adjustment may help.

If the pain persists it would be worth her seeing an oesteopath who could also compare her symptons with the seat position to identify a solution or if her spine is out of alignment fix it.

The off centre pedal issue was specifically the manual models.

Usually higher seating position in suvs are better for people with bad backs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hoggy, Have just found a report in what car and that says about the pedals being off set,seems to be more of a problem with the manual,but does affect some drivers with the auto.hopefully we can sort it out,not sure what else to try

Rich
I suffer with a bad back quite a lot - when I first had the car, it was the same for me. However, after much experimenting with fore/aft, lumbar, up/down, under leg support in-out etc, I now find the seats very comfortable?

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suffer with a bad back quite a lot - when I first had the car, it was the same for me. However, after much experimenting with fore/aft, lumbar, up/down, under leg support in-out etc, I now find the seats very comfortable?
will be trying those over the next few weeks

Rich

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It could be caused by simply the fact that she may be used to going down into a car as opposed to up into the Q5. Seat and steering wheel adjustment may help.

If the pain persists it would be worth her seeing an oesteopath who could also compare her symptons with the seat position to identify a solution or if her spine is out of alignment fix it.

The off centre pedal issue was specifically the manual models.

Usually higher seating position in suvs are better for people with bad backs.
I dont think that its that bad,its probably just a slightly different driving position.If it continues perhaps i will have the Q for work

Rich

·
Registered
94 Posts
However, after much experimenting with fore/aft, lumbar, up/down, under leg support in-out etc, I now find the seats very comfortable?
Agree with that - there are now so many adjustment permutations, it does take a while to get optimum comfort. I certainly had some long journey pain when first took delivery. Did 300 miles on Saturday without a break and all was fine. Key for me was making sure I was looking *at* not *down* at instruments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found the driving position on the manual Q5 terrible; legs totally out of line with back, so twisting the lower back. It's mainly because all the pedals are offset, as they are on the A4 and A5 - they all share the same floorpan apparently. Shameful really bearing in mind Audi is a prestige brand.
That's why I've ordered the automatic - with only the right leg having to reach the offset accelerator pedal, the lower back does not have to be twisted anything like as much.
The seats are supportive though!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I found the driving position on the manual Q5 terrible; legs totally out of line with back, so twisting the lower back. It's mainly because all the pedals are offset, as they are on the A4 and A5 - they all share the same floorpan apparently. Shameful really bearing in mind Audi is a prestige brand.
That's why I've ordered the automatic - with only the right leg having to reach the offset accelerator pedal, the lower back does not have to be twisted anything like as much.
The seats are supportive though!!
Do other manufacturers have offset pedals? I sat in the A5 the other day and for the first time noticed the offset...its 'tiny' but noticeable. Not sure why they did this? Is it the same for Left Hand Drive cars? Also glad my car will be auto box so not having to 'twist' as much esp as I twisted back playing football and was out from playing for around 7 months

·
Registered
8 Posts
The offset pedals are something to do with the positioning of the drive 'tunnel'and the front wheeels apparently. An Audi rep told me it's the same on the left hand drive cars but I don't know for sure.

Some other cars are fine, e.g. Volvo XC60 and 90. Seems to depend on the model rather than the manufacturer though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
got mine friday and having some issues also but largely because i have been mucking about with the setting so much

not sure to do low and long or more upright and seated

driving an auto box for the first time and only effects the unused clutch leg

hints appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Rich
Rich,

Was wondering how you and your wife made out with the back ache problem, now that a considerable amount of time has passed. I have a new 2012 Q5 for three weeks and I'm getting an awful lower back ache after only about 45 mins in the Q. Any input you could share would be great. Did the issue go away after a while, was it seat adjustment or did you need to buy a third party back cushion?

Thanks!

Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts