Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove past my local Audi dealership the other day and noticed they had a 6 month old SQ5 out front so on Sunday the wife and I took it for a spin, very nice indeed makes my current car feel like a snail. Anyhow the car had over 10k miles on the clock so really I want a new one. Was looking through the options and currently I have the B&O and its nice but the SQ5 didn't have the B&O but also sounded very nice, the salesman said it was an upgraded stereo because it had the Tech pack high and was better than the basic system, is this correct? I can find no mention of tech pack high giving you an upgraded sound system in the brochure.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I love the B&O but not having heard the standard Audi system, I can't give you a comparison.

I think your salesman may be confused.....

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
B&O as you found is not really any better than the standard version.
The benefit i found was 5.1 and the nicer cowlings.

The salesman is kinda right, or at least i know what he means - the module in the car is different to the cars without Navhigh - better, i can't comment, I've never had a Q5 without nav.

·
Registered
952 Posts
B& O I suspect is clearer at higher volumes than the standard system. I doesn't have mega bass but does keep very clear up to top of sound range. I have hardly played with mine to be honest, it drowns out the nice engine/exhaust noises which I am still tickled with

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had B&O in my last car without Nav & it sounded great, however B&O in the new car with nav sounds better! I've never compared B&O to non B&O though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As a bit of an audiophile (once changed interconnects between CD player and amps three times before I could get the sound I wanted and I the other half couldn't tell the difference) I would never touch B&O products for the home with a barge-pole. Definitely style over content and usually a generation behind current internals the best use but packaged very nicely.
However, for my new order I insisted on listening to both in case it was different in the car. I would say the B&O has a very precise sound and the high-end was very good, but it didn't have much at the bottom end of the sound and didn't go loud enough for me. If you are happy with the sound of MP3s on an iPod you'll be overjoyed with it. Standard pop music and classical both sounded good.
The standard 10 speaker multi-amp system had much more 'oomph' low-down and went louder. I thought it sounded far more natural. If you love the sound of a good system with well matched speakers at home you'll prefer it I reckon. Certainly better for rock and bass-driven music. I would say generally you'll be happy with either and the only way to know is to listen for yourself. But at the end of the day it's a car not a music room. I saved the money and put it on other options as I preferred the standard system.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The standard system is ok, but to my surprise not as good sound quality (IMO) as the standard one offered in my last Evoque (meridian). Good enough though.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If i'm honest i like the B&O but I drive mostly with Dynamic exhaust if not Dynamic mode so I'm just listening to exhaust sound...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 5.1 system at home and would equally never touch B&O in my house, for me they are like BOSE but thats argument for another day.

In my current Q5 the B&O system is excellent not the loudest but very sharp, however the system standard system in the SQ5 was pretty damn good and I just wanted to confirm my suspicions re the salesman. Thanks guys you've answered my question I think I'll have a sunroof instead of the B&O.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts