Audi Q5 Forum banner

Avon ZX7 tyres

9K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  missile 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Has anyone used Avon ZX7 tyres on their Q5's, if so what were your views ?
Dibs

#7 ·
Hi TurGe 24, so far I have to say I have not noticed any difference, the the dealer who recommended them to me has been fitting tyres to my cars for the passed 20 years and I trust his judgement, so therefore I would also recommend them.

#8 ·
Hi Dibs,

How did your Avon tyres fair over the winter?

Need two new tyres for my fire engine. Thinking of replacing Bridgestone Dueler with Avon ZX7. Wet grip is most important consideration for me. Both are rated A.

Many Thanks

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's more the straight line stopping power that I worry about with a big, heavy car.

I imagine most people don't push the lateral grip of their Q5 very hard, but those unexpected heavy braking moments are the ones that concern me.

Having said that, I had Avon's on my old TT and couldn't tell any difference from the Pirelli's that were specced from new. I do wonder how much tyre technology is just scaremongering.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
It seems self evident that a tyre with better mechanical grip will have a higher wear rate? I would rather trade better grip for longer life.

I have not seen a reliable test report for the Avon ZX7. The owner reviews I have read on these (and other tyres
) are confusing. Some owners give features top marks whilst others poor. For example one owner reported they are quiet another they are noisy / one reported 30,000 and another gets 6,000 miles for the same tyre. Overall comparison from owners 3.4 for Avon ZX7 and 3.3 Bridgestone Dueler.

I am happy to rely on Dibs experience on his Q5 over some nameless Jeep Cherokee owner.

#15 ·
I don't know enough about tyre technology to accurately score a tyre out of ten for wet grip...

Which is why I'm not sure I really trust those owner review aggregator sites. And I think the point above just proves why - tyre wear could vary dramatically depending on your style of driving. I would be able to say how many miles I'd covered in a set, I guess, but only if I was really paying attention when I put them on. It really needs a standardised system to accurately record these things.

I'd much rather trust the independent tyre tests and ratings for grip and noise.

#17 ·
#19 · (Edited)
Well I'm on the hunt for new tyres currently as I had a blowout on Monday on the inside sidewall of the font offside tyre by clipping the edge of a flipping cats eye!! So i'm looking at all options in my 21" tyre size (which is fairly limited). I knew you mentioned Avon's before so wanted to check them out as well.

#20 ·
Bad luck, hope only tyre was damaged? I am very pleased with my Avons. I drive within the limits of my tyres. My main consideration was grip in the wet as you know it is often wet where we live and some nerds seem to have no knowledge of increased stopping distances and ignore the conditions. They are a menace.

Avons were much cheaper and appear to be as good as the Bridgestones which I had previously

Whatever boots you choose, remember Abz Audi have a price promise.

#21 ·
Yeah alloy wheen seems fine, taken it off and checked both sides. Never realised a cats eye could be so deadly!! Good to know about the price promise at Aberdeen Audi, but not much use when the car is undrivable currently. Plus I normally mail order my tyres for best price and get them fitted locally. Also the Avon's are not available in my tyre size (255/40 R21) :cautious:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.