Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 25,000 service today. I have about 27,000 miles on my car. I was encouraged to have my breaks and rotors replaced. I was wondering if this is normal for this many miles. Or was I taken? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It depends massively on how you drive...
And an Auto will always need brakes before a manual/stick.

My Mrs is very hard on brakes and needed new pads at only 8k on her Mini One!! I was like WHAT!! But they showed me the pads and they were shot! She still drives very inefficiently tho, even after this!

On my last car a BMW 135i the computer was estimating 32k on the rears and 30k for the fronts and that was including 2 track days! I never had the car long enough to change them (crashed it at 12k :/).

My SQ5 is estimating about 25k according to my dealer that checked about 2 weeks ago...

I am very keen on engine braking, to the point I put it in sport and then kickdown and lift off to have the car grab a low gear to slow down almost every time I approach a light or junction. As a result I am VERY easy on the brakes compared to many - especially considering it is an auto...

Based on this I would say 27k on a Q5 is pretty reasonable. If you are worried you are being taken for a ride, take it to an independent garage and ask them to check it for a few pounds/dollars (not sure of your location! Guessing US as you say rotors not discs?).

There are a couple of guys on here with similar mileage to you and also a couple that like to get their hands dirty and DIY stuff like that so I expect they will be able to give you some sound advice from their experience as well...

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
PS Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with Jose. Also depends on whether you're driving in a heavy urban environment or more highway driving. And simple things, like always following too close, will help increase brake wear (more panic stops and/or left foot braking/riding the brakes). 25,000 miles doesn't sound too bad.

I finally picked up my Q5 TDI last week. I've been taking it easy so far (still breaking things in), but have found that even in sport mode I don't get much engine braking effect (compared to my old V8 4Runner with a 5 speed auto). Just wondering if others find the same thing or maybe I should be going after those lower gears a bit more aggressively.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I agree with Jose. Also depends on whether you're driving in a heavy urban environment or more highway driving. And simple things, like always following too close, will help increase brake wear (more panic stops and/or left foot braking/riding the brakes). 25,000 miles doesn't sound too bad.

I finally picked up my Q5 TDI last week. I've been taking it easy so far (still breaking things in), but have found that even in sport mode I don't get much engine braking effect (compared to my old V8 4Runner with a 5 speed auto). Just wondering if others find the same thing or maybe I should be going after those lower gears a bit more aggressively.
Assuming your 4runner was petrol not diesel? If so that is why. Diesel being based on compression rather than ignition doesn't give as much engine braking effect, when the piston goes up and squeezes the air in the cylinder, the compressed air acts like a spring and pushes the piston back down even though no fuel was injected and so no bang... On big trucks they have a j-brake which they can engage, essentially it allows a valve to open at the top of the stroke, releasing the trapped air, then closing again, so the down stroke isn't assisted by any compressed air and is actually pulling a vacuum helping brake further...
I often wish it was available on SUV/large diesel cars as it would be handy for saving wear on the brakes and giving more control on decents.

Per my mention, using the kick down feature makes a very aggressive downshift and so you get the maximum effect available...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Used to use engine compression release valves on my trials bikes many years ago, worked very well on decents.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Jose, that's very helpful. Yes, the 4Runner was petrol.

Diesel's are pretty new to me, so still getting used to it. I have heard of J-Brakes (my dad has it on his RAM 2500 Cummins diesel), but I had no idea how they work. My only real familiarity with them is that just about every small town in Canada has signs at the city limits prohibiting transport trucks from using them inside city limits (on account of the noise).

The most extreme engine braking I've seen was my old CBR 600 F4. I'd always attributed that (perhaps in error) to a combination of light vehicle weight, high compression engine and very low mass fly wheel.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Yea, they can be pretty loud! It's quite a cool noise if you ask me!
But anyway, we are way off topic here, sorry audilagirl for jacking this thread!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
José, thank you for the reply and the information. I appreciate the warm welcome to the group and no worries about the thread...happy new year to all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts