Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been quoted £250 incl VAT for a full lifeshine treatment with after-care kit from an Audi main dealer. Is this a reasonable price and is the treatment worth it?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just been quoted £250 incl VAT for a full lifeshine treatment with after-care kit from an Audi main dealer. Is this a reasonable price and is the treatment worth it?
The simple answer is no. Using a good detailer, local to you, is always best. If possible, ask the dealership if your detailer can use their premises to prepare the car. The problem with dealer applied is that the folks that actually apply the paint protection are often untrained and have 30 minutes to prep each car. In addition, they also wash all the cars being serviced and keep those on the forecourt clean. The tools they use are often old and dirty and the limited time and training mean a poor quality job. A dedicated detailer will always do a far better job. Try taking a look at detailingworld.co.uk and look in 'the studio' where you'll find detailers advertising for your area and often with reviews.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
For sure as obsidian says, if you are going to do it pay a professional, not the dealer...
My dealer was happy for my valet to use their prep bay after they PDI'd the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
My detailer tells me as an indy he can't buy Lifeshine products any more as Autoglym have some sort of tie in with the dealers. That said I had him apply the new Autoglym Ultimate wax. It's holding up well and I suspect 3 applications per year will keep the car looking good. I'll probably give the car the odd Aqua Wax in between. I don't like Lifeshine or any similar product as in reality you need to clean it off, along with the bonded contaminants once a year and re-apply it if you want to keep that showroom shine. I don't doubt that it's still there when you clay the car but I've found in the past that contaminants still bond to a Lifeshine treated surface.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Had Lifeshine for free on our first Q5 waste of time in my book also steer clear of Superguard over priced product for what it offers just look how cheap it is on Fleebay.
Now when buying a car part of the sales contract has in it "all protective film to be left on and car must not be washed or the interior cleaned or covers removed."
Have Gtechniq New Car treatment done.
Think this is scottishjocks car and shows what is under your Lifeshine ect treatment full of fillers and masking agents which will break down in time and takes 5-10 Minutes to apply to the Paint !
http://www.detailing...ad.php?t=306615

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have supagaurd on both vehicles and I think it's a good product but each go their own I say

Doug

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had it on my new car in Dec 2010, I still have the car, it has never been waxed and still shines like new when washed! I would probably spec it again (when I make my mind up whether to order an SQ5 ha ha)

·
Registered
700 Posts
The Dealer did have body care protection carried out on my new car but as soon as it was home it stayed in Garage for a week while i carried out the Gtechiq full body and wheel care on it !! it looks great and i fully enjoyed doing it, Bloody hard work thou !! Washes lovely now

Reactions: ....

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had it on my new car in Dec 2010, I still have the car, it has never been waxed and still shines like new when washed! I would probably spec it again (when I make my mind up whether to order an SQ5 ha ha)
I am sure you are right about the shine but try this: After you wash the car run your fingers over the lower parts of the doors (just behind the front wheels is good). Can you feel the little lumps and bumps or a slight roughness? That's bonded contamination from the road. No amount of washing will remove it. But over the long term it does damage the surface of the paint. The only way to get rid of it is to fully clean the car and that will include the use of a clay bar and a paint renovator of some type depending on how bad it is. The trouble with this level of vehicle prep (usually called detailing) is that it takes a long time. Really depends on how shiny you want your car to be. That said all dealers can see the difference between a regularly washed car and a regularly detailed car at 3 y.o.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Found this thread from a few months ago. Pick up new Q5 s-line plus on the 27th as cant be bothered waiting another 6 weeks for new 63 plate.

Anyway as I have waited for so long I asked for free paint protection. Dealer just came back saying they can do the Autoglym Lifeshine for £100 as that is cost price (said they charge £299 for Q5 normally).....anyway is it worth the money or another dealer money maker !!!!!.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i can absolutely vouch for the above (its my car in the first set of pics) the GTechniq is great if applied correctly. the C5 on the wheels is superb.
I just wouldnt pay for this to be done at the dealers - some of the products they offer arent bad - the problem is the attention to detail and the time they take to put it on. for example if i got it it would have just been applied over all the defects you can see in the pics. im not sure how long they are given at the dealers to apply but max an hour - it took about a day and a half to do mine properly.

Reactions: ....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Waste of money. Depending on whether or not you use the products supplied it's worth £0 to £50 to you. For £100 you can buy Gtechniq C5 for your wheels and C1+/Evo 2 for the paintwork which will be far better protection.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Its better than nothing is my basic view, but it will wash off in no time with the chemicals the dealers and converted petrol stations use!.
If you want something good get a dealer to do ceramic coat or something like that.

We've been offered it for free on the SQ5 as part of the deal and we are going to take it mainly because it the wifes car and i cant be bothered to clean/care for it... would i pay £250 for it,
, hell no.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts