Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading this late last night and haven't got time this morning to post too much on the subject. I guess it will come as no surprise considering their previous comparisons between the "ordinary" Q5's and X3's that they rate the X3 higher than the SQ5. Five stars for the X3 and three stars for the SQ5.

I will post a bit more later - getting ready for work now.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I don't want to get into the whole journalists don't know what they are talking about thing AGAIN, but, I really don't understand why they think the X3 is better.
It's not a bad car by any means, but I honestly can't think of one thing I would rate higher on an X3 than a Q5, in any form SQ/35d (which is a fairer comparison than SQ/Alpina btw) or otherwise.
The Audi is just slightly better in all departments, it's a bit like greater than the some of its parts. Both cars are great quality and engineering, but the Audi just has a magic extra bit that is extremely difficult to replicate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't want to get into the whole journalists don't know what they are talking about thing AGAIN, but, I really don't understand why they think the X3 is better.
It's not a bad car by any means, but I honestly can't think of one thing I would rate higher on an X3 than a Q5, in any form SQ/35d (which is a fairer comparison than SQ/Alpina btw) or otherwise.
The Audi is just slightly better in all departments, it's a bit like greater than the some of its parts. Both cars are great quality and engineering, but the Audi just has a magic extra bit that is extremely difficult to replicate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Looking for this review I found this. This is what BMW X3 owners feel about Audi SQ5. Most interesting that a feeling that the SQ5 ride was better than the X3 due to the BMW being shod with run flats.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871893

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Very interesting what the BMW owners are saying about the SQ

I had the old X3 3.0sd which had been breathed on and have to say it was amazing and i regretted moving on. The SQ5 has filled its shoes admirably and then some.

Yes the new X3 Alpina will be very nice but it starts at £54k and for that you get nothing over the SQ in performances thats worth bragging about down the boozer

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
I've had bmw's for ten years and always loved them,but eventually got bored with there styling and especially the interiors,so I moved brand to Audi because there so ahead of there time compared to BMW,BMW are so bland and havent moved with the times,that's just my view 😄

Reactions: aussiedom

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Did autocar do a direct SQ5/XD3 review or was it the two separate reviews we are talking about?
A mate of mine test drove the XD3, said the engine was fantastic but styling + pricing were a problem; also like how they have an Akropavovic (No idea how you spell that) exhaust system but according to him it's nothing compared to the sound actuators in the SQ5. Win Win in my books...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phew, what a day! (at work)

Anyway Auto Express rated as follows:

SQ5 X3
Styling 4.2/5 4.2/5
Driving 3.8/5 4.8/5
Reliability 4.0/5 4.2/5
Running Costs 3.7/5 3.8/5
Practicality 3.8/5 4.1/5

Overall they rate SQ5 as 3* and the X3 as 5*

They comment that the XD3 is £10k more expensive than the SQ4, but comes better equipped - apparently £2k will take it to an equivalent spec.

Summarising they say as follows:

X3 Alpina
Stunning straight line performance and engaging handling are at the core of the XD3's appeal, yet it delivers this pace alongside surprisingly reasonable running costs. Add in it's exclusivity, combined with the assurance of main dealer back-up, and the Alpina is well worth the extra outlay over the Audi.

SQ5
In some ways, the SQ5 perfectly fits the mould of the performance Audi - it's fast in a straight line, but is less impressive through corners. Vague steering fails to inspire confidence, and the suspension and electronics can't disguise the car's mass, so it's shown a clean pair of heels by the XD3.

I believe the "ordinary" Q5 outsells the "ordinary" X3 by a factor of 3 (somebody correct me if I am wrong), so I wonder what the sales figures will be for these performance variants.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Do you have the link?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I still say the SQ5 should only be compared to the X3 35d, and not the XD3.

Along with the XD3's £10K price difference it has ~12% more power/torque. And as a 3rd party tuned vehicle it's no surprise they have made it handle better - and besides, thats not the point of the SQ5, its supposed to be a muted motorway muncher, not a clamorous country-lane cruncher!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I just realised I got the title wrong - should have read "Auto Express" not "AutoCar". I blame being in a hurry getting ready for work :-(

·
Registered
91 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts