Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Pretty much agree with that review and although I'm not a Diesel fan, i cant see why you'd buy petrol for this type of car..
They never tell you what option they went with for the suspension or the alloys fitted. (re ride comments)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pretty much agree with that review and although I'm not a Diesel fan, i cant see why you'd buy petrol for this type of car..
As a low mileage short journey user this petrol version ticks all of my boxes re no potential DPF problems, lower maintenance costs and cheaper fuel....and I 'luv' petrol

·
Banned
842 Posts
Exactly, if cost and economy was your concern you would be buying a 1 litre Yaris that cost £2k. Not a £40k premium SUV! I do wonder what some reviewers are on when they write these things! I'm sure your average Q5 owner can afford an extra £10-£20 a week on petrol to drive the car of their choice!

I dont drive the petrol as I'm a tight bugger!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
When I was pondering what to have i got quotes for identically spec'd 2.0TFSI and 3.0TDI Sline Plus vehicles.

Taking into account the price differential of the two vehicles and a very conservative fuel economy guess (25 mpg for the petrol and 34 for the diesel) @ 18,000 miles a year and the differences in petrol and diesel prices you would actually have to run the diesel into it's 4th year to make a saving over the petrol car.

So ordered a SQ5....perverse logic I know!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the logical response. If you compare the 2.0TFSI with the 3 litre turbodiesel, the lower cost should offset the higher running costs in the future - unless you do a massive amount of mileage,

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Did you include the petrol is worth 2k less come trade in vs the diesel?
I'm not sure what dpf issues you have read about but the wife's hasn't had any issues and only goes about 15miles/day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not sure what dpf issues you have read about but the wife's hasn't had any issues and only goes about 15miles/day.
It has been well documented by the motoring press, inc the respected Daily Telegraph motoring correspondent Honest John, that diesel particulate filter problems are prevalent with vehicles that are predominantly used for short journey useage. It would be of interest to know if Audi have found a way of resolving that issue or whether any other short journey Q5 diesel owners have experienced any such problems.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Did you include the petrol is worth 2k less come trade in vs the diesel?
In my case got more than the equivalent Diesel at trade in time and a good discount.
7-8k pa on the mileage and very sweet motor and nearly as quick as the 3.0 TDI.
Now it comes with the 8 Speed it's a no brainer only if it was a standard fit on the 3.0 TDI.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
DPF as previous, it happened to some - but then the TFSI has the documented gunk issue as low 20k, so both engines have well documented "potential issues", but lets not say either are "common". Common is misleading and gives people the impression its the norm and its not the case. it's the exception.

2k trade in difference is however the "norm" as per both GAP and Glasses - whatcar.com also charts on its depreciation calculator about a 1900 difference (don't take my word for it). Individual deals will always depend. Dealers can take with one hand and give with the other...

Petrol and SUV just doesnt work for the majority of people. Nm comes in too high up the rev range (1900) unless you chip it
Just look at the SQ5 - only the US get the petrol version.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some like petrol, some like diesel. Both fuel types have positives and negatives but just depends on what each driver values the most. I have read other road tests suggesting petrol versions are the best choice for low mileage owners due to the acceleration benefits and smoothness on offer, whereas this review is biased towards to diesel.

I don't think there is a right or wrong engine choice, it purely comes down ranking of individuals priorities.

I'm not so sure that the £2k price difference would be true in reality, sure the diesel is more popular but that only means there are more to choose from on the 2nd hand market. There will also be 2nd hand buyers looking for petrol versions for the same reason as original owners purchased them, hence supply and demand should go somewhere to bridging that £2k gap.

What I would say is that any options spec'd when buying new will depreciate like a falling stone. That's not to say they shouldn't be chosen and enjoyed though.

Reactions: Martin1

·
Banned
842 Posts
I'd disagree with the options. With a car of this marque certain options (particularly with Audi's tightness to add things as standard) would add value to a 2nd hand vehicle.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Only options that add value to an "Audi trade" in is Satnav and Stronic.
Rest is down to you. Private sales come down to what the seller believes the cars worth.

Lets be clear, i'm not a Diesel fan, i really don't like Diesels in general, but in the Q5 it simply works better and its cheaper than petrol cradle to grave.
As above, it doesn't matter if its not the right financial choice from a paper point of view, what it comes down to is an individual choice - but the original post stands, i agree with the review.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Some like petrol, some like diesel. Both fuel types have positives and negatives but just depends on what each driver values the most. I have read other road tests suggesting petrol versions are the best choice for low mileage owners due to the acceleration benefits and smoothness on offer, whereas this review is biased towards to diesel.

I don't think there is a right or wrong engine choice, it purely comes down ranking of individuals priorities.

I'm not so sure that the £2k price difference would be true in reality, sure the diesel is more popular but that only means there are more to choose from on the 2nd hand market. There will also be 2nd hand buyers looking for petrol versions for the same reason as original owners purchased them, hence supply and demand should go somewhere to bridging that £2k gap.

What I would say is that any options spec'd when buying new will depreciate like a falling stone. That's not to say they shouldn't be chosen and enjoyed though.
Would be interested to know what you think of your car as I have just ordered the same except gone for lava grey.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll let you know when it arrives, although I'd imagine by that time you'll probably be getting yours too, I only ordered a couple of weeks ago. What date have you got for delivery, I'm still waiting to hear, I expect early May, I'll chase up early next week when I get a chance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Daytona, I ordered mine last week and will have to wait till May. Had a slight wobble about going for petrol after reading some of the reviews, but I don't do a huge mileage and some pleasures in life are worth hanging on to. I have a Ford S-Max which is horribly thirsty, so the Audi will have to be an improvement. Suggest we start a new post at the end of May!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Dont believe the 2k Gap only in a book different for me at the time of trade in.
Got more for ours than the same age Diesel sitting on the forecourt they had buyers waiting for a Petrol.
Not one petrol available in the area at the time spec is also all at time of trade in.
I like both and prefer the 3.0TDI over the 2.0TDI.
8 Speed is a no Brainer once tried.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The facts.

Depreciation index

Audi Q5 4x4 2.0 TFSI 225 quattro S line 5dr
Cost - £34,385 Y1-£29,351 Y2-£24,351 Y3-£20,249 Y4-£17,550
Audi Q5 4x4 2.0 TDI 177 quattro S line 5dr
Cost - £34,280 Y1-£31,901 Y2-£26,498 Y3-£22,025 Y4-£19,049
- See more at: http://www.whatcar.c...h.gtfH1j28.dpuf

Unless you traded a TDi at the same time to the same dealer how can you compare?
Sorry but petrol SUVs just dont work on any level.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just took at quick look at autotrader, prices look exactly the same for same spec, age and mileage. As I said before less petrol vehicles on the road so evens out demand on resale = same price give or take.

On a side note, I've just changed my order to tip box, anyone know what the real life figures are for petrol manual vs auto. I figure I' might get better mpg from auto despite what Audi figures state as my style of driving might be relaxed?

Cheers

Reactions: ....

·
Registered
503 Posts
When I test drove a TFSI my overall consumption for the route was 27 MPG and most of that was on the motorway doing 70 MPH and I drive like Miss Daisy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts