Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ordered an SQ5 4 weeks ago - will be with me in September I am told, all things going to plan.

I have read a lot about the exhaust noise. I test drove the SQ5 and loved the sound - it's what really attracted me to it. However I didn't take much notice of the drive select feature, and in turn, didn't tick the box for it in my order.

Since, I have read a lot from the SQ5 owners on this forum and others discussing how the sound of the exhaust can be adjusted etc according to the drive select mode chosen (comfort being quiet, dynamic being loud etc?) Is this correct?

For those that did not select the drive select option on their SQ5's, is the sound always that low purring V8 tone that some of us love so much, or is it quieter. I can't remember whether the demo model I drove had the drive select function, but it sounded beautiful.

I'm really hoping I haven't made a mistake in not chosing the drive select option - I don't want my SQ5 sounding like an average diesel SUV.

Appreciate any thoughts on this!

Cheers

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi all,

Ordered an SQ5 4 weeks ago - will be with me in September I am told, all things going to plan.

I have read a lot about the exhaust noise. I test drove the SQ5 and loved the sound - it's what really attracted me to it. However I didn't take much notice of the drive select feature, and in turn, didn't tick the box for it in my order.

Since, I have read a lot from the SQ5 owners on this forum and others discussing how the sound of the exhaust can be adjusted etc according to the drive select mode chosen (comfort being quiet, dynamic being loud etc?) Is this correct?

For those that did not select the drive select option on their SQ5's, is the sound always that low purring V8 tone that some of us love so much, or is it quieter. I can't remember whether the demo model I drove had the drive select function, but it sounded beautiful.

I'm really hoping I haven't made a mistake in not chosing the drive select option - I don't want my SQ5 sounding like an average diesel SUV.

Appreciate any thoughts on this!

Cheers
Hi ch83443, as I've posted before I didn't order drive select either so will let you know how the car sounds when I pick her up tomorrow. I'm going over later today to sign the papers and will ask if I can start her up. You've done well to get a slot for September as I was told new SQ5's were now being quoted as week 44 build which is the last week of October

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
With drive select you can choose the individual setting and have a combination for exhaust/steering/throttle/ACC settings however you want - it also gives access to the Efficiency mode which does have a significant impact on mpg (though in that mode you cannot have the exhaust note in V8 mode).
Without DS, the only way to have the V8 sound is with the gearbox in S - which will kill your fuel consumption!
If you really want the sound all the time (as I do) then you NEED DS...

The only thing I would say is it doesn't sound bad without the sound enabled! I quite like the big V6 diesel sound as well - but plenty will say it sounds like a tractor I'm sure!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi and welcome, mine hasn't got drive select. In normal drive mode there is no V8 roar only when its in sport mode will you get that sound. Hope that helps

·
Banned
2,240 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all - yes that's what I was wondering. Starting to think I should have ordered this option now.

Yes Jonathan, very luck to get the September slot. I was told it was the last 2013 allocation. Let me know how it sounds when you pick it up - would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Hope you enjoy it!

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Still time to add it! Or if you read through the thread I posted a link to you can add DS via MMI with coding - just won't have the button... Which TBH I rarely use as it stays in individual mode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jose - think I will try and phone the dealer tomorrow and see if I can add this to my order - was also toying with asking for the TDI badge to be deleted, however have read that if you request this, then all the badges will be deleted. Is this true.

Ps, with drive select, each time you start the car up, do you have to select individual mode each time, or can you set it so it will start up in individual mode for example, as default?

Cheers.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Josè so DS can be added via the back door but what's the "button" your talking about? If DS is added does it give you all the other features

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Keep all badges and have your dealer remove the TDI - no factory option for this. 3 or 4 of us have done this.

Mine remembers the DS setting per key - but I have advanced key and memory seats - the individual settings are per key as well. I know others in the past on Q5's have complained it defaults to Auto - not sure if this is still the case if you don't have memory seats and/or advanced key.

You can enable the DS in MMI with Vagcom so you can choose the various options (reading of the couple of links in the other thread it suggests you do get all the options) - the button is the farthest right in the row which includes the parking sensors button. It just cycles through Auto/Comfort/Dynamic/Eco/Individual without having to go into the MMI.
Also worth noting that individual is only present if you have the HDD based Sat Nav with 7 inch screen...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry ran out of time doing the paperwork so I didn't get to start her up today - will be doing so tomorrow after work. We went with badge deletion and everything except the SQ5 on the front grill has gone - that's fine as I didn't like the V6T badges on the front wing anyway. Not sure about the silver wing mirrors as they look huge, but from a quick look I'm really pleased with the carbon atlas trim and the contrast stitching on the seats and armrests - didn't go with the extended instrument binnacle option.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am starting to get a little fed up with this bloody SQ5. Having tested a silver demonstrator on standard wheels I was slightly under impressed - just looked like a Q5 SLINE Plus. So I have added £6.5k of extras (21'' wheels, sunroof etc etc) to my build week 27 car to make it a bit more special to look at. Its now over £50k!!!! and now I find out it only has the nice exhaust sound when the gearbox is in sport mode, as I don't have drive select. I am probably too late to add it but in any case its just another couple of hundred quid to make the bloody thing sound nice all the time
Why isn't that a standard MMI feature to control the exhaust sound.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I also am a but disappointed with the standard spec of the SQ5, as are others. It's an SE with a big engine unless you start ticking a lot of boxes! It really should be an Sline Plus as base... But I guess Audi figured a lot of people would be happy with just the power and people like me will tick the boxes regardless.
The end result is I love the car though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
After reading all the above ive had mine now 2 weeks and think its a fantastic car althou i did have over 8 K on extra's. i too didnt select drive select but im very happy using it either in Sport mode for the sound or D mode for standard economy and standard sound, To be honest as Jose says you end up leaving it in one setting and get on with it, i may ask the lads at Audi to add it one day along with a few other gadgets when i have time.

In my option i would make sure if your thinking of altering your spec make sure it doesnt alter your build week -that was the risk i wasnt prepared to take !!

All the best Merlin

·
Registered
529 Posts
So adding DS allows the steering changes which i can understand as its electric but the suspension?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
No change to suspension on the SQ5 as it has lowered sports rather than the dynamic available on the Q5.

Also I have Dynamic Steering so the difference is really noticeable - I have read reports that even without this option the DS can adjust the feel of the steering but to what extent I'm not sure... I would assume it can adjust the weight but not the ratio...

·
Registered
529 Posts
No change to suspension on the SQ5 as it has lowered sports rather than the dynamic available on the Q5.
So what exactly does adding DS give us menials if we go the vagcom route José

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
You get Auto, Comfort, Dynamic (also puts the Gearbox in S by default), Economy (also puts the Gearbox in E mode - not available without DS) and Individual (if fitted with HDD Sat Nav)

In Individual for all of the below, Auto, Comfort or Dynamic...
Engine/Gearbox - Adjusts throttle response and how long the gearbox holds gears
Steering - Likely weight only (not sure on this one)
Exhaust Sound - As it says on the tin - worth mentioning that in Auto it gets louder the harder you drive it - I wonder if this is what D is without DS?
ACC - Adjusts how aggressively the Adaptive Cruise Control accelerates - note that in aggressive it is not very mpg friendly, but in comfort it is boring as hell and you will get beeped at for holding people up!

I personally leave it in Individual with Eng/Box=Auto, Steering=Auto, Exhaust=Dynamic and ACC=Dynamic. And then change to Eco program for long runs when cruising, and Dynamic for a proper fun drive.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am starting to get a little fed up with this bloody SQ5. Having tested a silver demonstrator on standard wheels I was slightly under impressed - just looked like a Q5 SLINE Plus. So I have added £6.5k of extras (21'' wheels, sunroof etc etc) to my build week 27 car to make it a bit more special to look at. Its now over £50k!!!! and now I find out it only has the nice exhaust sound when the gearbox is in sport mode, as I don't have drive select. I am probably too late to add it but in any case its just another couple of hundred quid to make the bloody thing sound nice all the time
Why isn't that a standard MMI feature to control the exhaust sound.
Think about it, If your car car has the artificial exhaust sound in sports mode, it has the feature installed and there must be a way of having it on permenantly. Its just that we don't yet know how to do it. Someone will soon find out by comparing settings on the SQ5 that has it and one that has not. Watch this space.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yes it does thanks José.

That adaptive cruise control is a waste of time me thinks. Had it on a Q7 and the Touareg. Like you say it is very slow to respond in norm D mode but was better in sport. Its not usable really with our packed roads (cars coming into your lane etc) The break assist which is part of the adaptive system can sure sh1t you up when it intervenes lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts