Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been staying at a friends this week, they have a Q5 2.0 petrol on a 60 plate. When the vehicle went in for it's second service at Crewe Audi his wife was told that the vehicle needed new discs and pads urgently. She contacted her husband who phoned their local independent garage they said they could do it for less than Audi and to bring it in, so his wife told Audi not to do it. Crewe Audi then said that the brakes were so low she should avoid using the bake on her journey home which frightened her as the car is an automatic. When they took the car to the independent the garage owner told them the pads and discs were in such good condition he'd happily put them on his own car, over 5mm on the pads.

I have read about this before on the forum but I think it is shocking that they used scare tactics to try and get the work.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What an absolute rip off, disgraceful behaviour by Crewe Audi. This is a regular scam, had the same issue on my A5 which broke down and got taken to the garage, they fixed it and said I needed new pads and discs on the front urgently, I told them not to do it and drove it a further 2k miles before the light even came on and even then I only replaced the pads.

How long do brake discs last and how do you tell if they need changing, I have heard that they should be smooth all the way to the edge of the disc and as they wear they have a bump on the edge? My A8 has done 20k now, I'm expecting the light to come on for the brakes, the pads are slightly worn, may get them looked at when I have my winter tyres fitted.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Its a sad state of affairs isn't it but not limited to Audi or main dealers unfortunately. Especially when they see someone with little mechanical knowledge coming in - elderly, young women etc.

This is why like Kramer I use a trusty VAG independant. If anyone is near Manchester go and see these guys - awesomegti.com

The garage is always full of R8's, RS4's, R32's etc for tuning. But they service your car for a reasonable price and have a lounge with sky TV and free wifi with a viewing area for you to watch your car being serviced.

Reactions: Kramer

·
Registered
433 Posts
There is a minimum thickness allowable on the discs as they will lead to heat cracks and warping causing vibration and brake fade. However this should be reported as in % as per Aberdeen Audi with my A4 recently. If the mechanics carried out their job correctly and removed the lip on the discs they would be able to measure the wastage and report the correct % of the discs.
Worst case they can refuse to road test your car after service with the repairs not being carried out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Had my first service at 18500 miles on my Q5 3.0Tdi and the dealer informed be that the brakes were 20% worn equally. So I'm either driving like a pansy or actually that's normal.

Shocking that they use scare tactics on people why may not know any different. I learnt back in the day when my first car (a VW Polo) apparently needed new suspension springs according to kwikfit - but turns out it was bollocks as my dad had had it done a year earlier by the neighbour who ran a local garage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a similar experience with my Discovery. At MOT they reported the brake pads were OK but needed some other warranty work to pass. Went back a week later to rerun the MOT and it failed on brake pads. So I called their bluff and said I was going to pick it up and book it into another garage there and then for a new MOT. Guess what I had a phone call 10 mins later just as I was leaving to say they had put it through again and it had passed. I have never used the garage again and never will. Stratstone Stourbridge by the way.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Good heads up, I live in Stourbridge! I used to use Audi for the main service and independents for everything else, the pads off eBay are usually £40 and £40 for the labour vs £200+ from Audi.

Reactions: Onion

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good heads up, I live in Stourbridge! I used to use Audi for the main service and independents for everything else, the pads off eBay are usually £40 and £40 for the labour vs £200+ from Audi.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for, I use OEM all the time and do the work myself, its the labor charges that are expensive not the parts. Over the years with my sons using cheaper brands in the long run costs more in relation to inferior quality and the time again, hence buy OEM or higher spec equivalent. Also you will have a warranty fall back with main dealers against flee bay and lower class vendors.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Brake disc FRONT thickness new 30mm, minimum is 28mm
Brake disc REAR thickness new 12mm, minimum is 10mm

in general ask for the % wasteage, or thickness.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks, so a >2mm lip means they need to be changed?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kramer,
Yes thats right 1mm per side 2mm overall per disc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts