Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being so certain on what I wanted I am now starting to wonder. It started with the Sat Nav not having speed camera alerts and went on from there. I was always a little worried about the power of the Audi 2 litre engine and wondered whether that had somethinmg to do with some reports of a little judder on take off. With more time on my hands than is good for me I started wondering and discovered that the X3 is the same size as the Q5 !! (I was relating 5s with 5s and 3s with 3s!). I then started looking at the performance and reviews. I really do like the look of the Q5 but the figures stack up in favour of the X3.

Tell me why I should not switch to an X3?

·
Registered
292 Posts
BMW....Terrible build quality...great drive though....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You always hear about problems on the forum - there are many thousands of satisfied customers.

My "jerkiness" issue is something I was ignoring and working around until I had the courtesy car and realised how good it could be.

The manager of Bristol Audi told me he has a good relationship with the local BMW dealership and they compare sales figures. The Q5 outsells the X3 by a significant margin so that must say something (I wonder how the national figures compare?).

Customer service: From my experience I would rate BMW as 6 out of 10 and I would find it very difficult to give the Audi dealership anything other than top marks, even with the current problems I am having with my car. Their handling of the problems has been good.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
I considered and tried several before choosing Q5. I found the X3 very firm and uncomfortable to drive on my "test route".

Undoubtedly X5 is a fine car and there are so many others to choose from, buy what you want.

·
Registered
422 Posts
X3 Rated 5 Star Autocar !
So when it was time to change our Q5 it was one of the cars we tested.
And by far it was the nosiest and less responsive than a Q5 with S-Tronic 2L TDI.
X3 Cramped in the passenger footwell compared to the Q5.
The ZF 8 Speed is a Fantastic Gearbox in any other car but terrible in the X3.
Q5 was more refined in Diesel form shame it only has the 8 speed box in the SQ5.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
X3 Rated 5 Star Autocar !
So when it was time to change our Q5 it was one of the cars we tested.
And by far it was the nosiest and less responsive than a Q5 with S-Tronic 2L TDI.
X3 Cramped in the passenger footwell compared to the Q5.
The ZF 8 Speed is a Fantastic Gearbox in any other car but terrible in the X3.
Q5 was more refined in Diesel form shame it only has the 8 speed box in the SQ5.
Thanks that's helpful - It was the Autocar review that got me wondering.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
Unless you do a lot of miles, fuel consumption should not be your primary consideration. You may prefer the performance and refinement of the 2.0TFSI engine and like the SQ5 it has the 8 speed tiptronic box.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Tests and ratings of various magazines can be objective and sometimes not
The best grade of quality and reliability of the results of the sales in the world, in this chapter in the Audi Q5 is much better than the BMW X3

·
Registered
422 Posts
Unless you do a lot of miles, fuel consumption should not be your primary consideration. You may prefer the performance and refinement of the 2.0TFSI engine and like the SQ5 it has the 8 speed tiptronic box.
Hope the rest of the range gets the 8 Speed its a better box after putting 30k on a Q5 with S-Tronic.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'd avoid the 20T at all costs - you will lose loads come resale time.

Go and get a demo at your local dealers and make an informed choice.
X3 looks good, drives well all depends what you want. I'd surmise you will enjoy the X3 more than having a replacement Q5 - the Q5 just wont feel new, it will feel like the same car you have now. Change is sometimes good, just for the hell of it.

Q3 or X5 not an option?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd avoid the 20T at all costs - you will lose loads come resale time. Go and get a demo at your local dealers and make an informed choice. X3 looks good, drives well all depends what you want. I'd surmise you will enjoy the X3 more than having a replacement Q5 - the Q5 just wont feel new, it will feel like the same car you have now. Change is sometimes good, just for the hell of it. Q3 or X5 not an option?
Got 80% Trade in for a 35 Month Old 2.0 Tsfi

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd avoid the 20T at all costs - you will lose loads come resale time. Go and get a demo at your local dealers and make an informed choice. X3 looks good, drives well all depends what you want. I'd surmise you will enjoy the X3 more than having a replacement Q5 - the Q5 just wont feel new, it will feel like the same car you have now. Change is sometimes good, just for the hell of it. Q3 or X5 not an option?
Get Ear Plugs if you want an X3

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
What Car and Auto Express did a group test on almost the same four cars; Q5, XC60, Freelander but one of them had the X1 and the other (later test) the X3. The X3 won the What Car test when pitched against the other three, XC60 2nd, followed by the Q5 then the Freelander but, if you read the Auto Express test when reviewing the other three cars you wouldn't have believed they were talking about the same cars.

That was a big lesson to me - read what the tests say but don't let it over influence your decision as the reviews are very much down to the personal opinions of the reviewers and, thankfully, we are all different. Test the cars yourself, that's the only way to make up your own mind.

Incidentally a big thing was made of the X3's running costs but if you read the real world figures that What Car publish, there is only about 1mpg in it. What they always seem to miss is the depreciation figures and that, after all, is one of the biggest costs of motoring. The Q5 is one of the lowest depreciating cars in the UK, apparently retaining 73.2% of its value over three years and 37,000 miles. I couldn't see the X3 in the list.
http://www.telegraph...l?frame=2426746

I drove the X3 and thought the ride was less comfortable than the XC60 and there was more wind noise at motorway speeds. Importantly for me, the boot was not deep enough. The Q5 is slightly better but the XC60 won that test easily.

One big thing that really put me off the X3 was the lack of a spare wheel. I don't want a can of goo and I am not going to pay extra for expensive run-flats that make the ride harder.

If you are seriously looking around at things other than the Q5 then don't ignore the XC60. I ran three of them and they were all superbly comfortable and better value for money on a one-off purchase than either the X3 or the Q5. There are some good discounts to be had on the XC60 if you look hard enough and certain specs come loaded with kit you have to through the nose for on a Q5; SE Lux for example.

If you don't need to rush into a decision then take your time to evaluate what's out there and don't go on everything you read in magazines; make your own mind up on the features that are important to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On paper, X3 is marginally better.
Fuel economy, Price etc.

In person, the Q5 is better.
Looks, interior feel etc.

If costs are your priority, then you should be looking at Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Kia or Hyundai options.

Stop kidding yourself. If you are spending this kind of money, then you should get the car that gets you excited otherwise you'll regret it every time you drive past one.

Note that Q5 depreciation is not as low as it was about a year ago when typical waiting times were 6 months +. its now under 8 weeks.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
20T loses more than TDi whichever guide you use. Whatcar deprecation calc also reports the same
Last time i asked a dealer (UK market) which is the best to get in terms of the market - answer was any, but not the 20T, They don't sell and fetch-less come resale. 20T also sounds more diesel like, than the diesels!

Cant really say anymore than that, people in the UK 'appear' not to want them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
20T loses more than TDi whichever guide you use. Whatcar deprecation calc also reports the same
Last time i asked a dealer (UK market) which is the best to get in terms of the market - answer was any, but not the 20T, They don't sell and fetch-less come resale. 20T also sounds more diesel like, than the diesels!

Cant really say anymore than that, people in the UK 'appear' not to want them.
Fact not theory 80% on Trade In for my 2.0l Tsfi to a non Audi Dealer and got a Large Discount on a New Car.
Whatcar is a Guide not a Bible.

·
Still Game
4,612 Posts
For sure, many more people choose the deisel and it's residuals are a little better, but to say
I'd avoid the 20T at all costs - you will lose loads come resale time.
is simply not true.

Whatcar is a rag, you need to consult Glass's guide to get an accurate valuation.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One big thing that really put me off the X3 was the lack of a spare wheel. I don't want a can of goo and I am not going to pay extra for expensive run-flats that make the ride harder.
Good point - punctures are rare today but bizarrely I've had two in two years.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts