Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving on to my second Audi. I've had an 02 A4 1.8t Avant for about 8 years. Today I got a 09 Q5 premium, silver on black. I had been looking for a good 07 or 08 Avant for quite a while, but the manual models have eluded me. So I figured if I'm going auto, it would be in a Q5.

Most of my spare time is spent going places with my 80lb. lab and mountain biking. Believe it or not there's lots of good tail riding in south Florida. We go on road trips and camping often. I was borrowing a H3 Hummer for the ride as the Avant just wasn't enough space. I know the Q5 is no more space, so I'm counting on the towing capability to ease the load, plus the high roof line in the back, the dog will be comfortable.

I'm a do it yourselfer, I maintained the A4 rather successfully for 150k miles, so I'm looking for any tips and tricks to hopefully skip some pitfalls others have experienced. I expect there is a more limited amount of self installers than with the A4. I have a RossTech VagCom so computer work is possible, expecting a little learning curve for the Q.

I like a sleeper type feel. Subtle yet performance oriented, and focus on light weight where possible.

I've learned some lessons when not to cut corners on quality parts and pay the premium cost as a trade for proper fitment and operation.

My upcoming mods will include the following:
Trailer hitch, tow package.
I'm reading a lot of older issues on this. I mostly will use it for the bikes, but expect to pull a 5x8 enclosed trailer for camping gear, occasionally.

Wheels.
First shot is a custom set of Enkei race forged drilled for a S4. 5 star pattern, 18x10. Painted the same color of the car. Likely something like 275's all around.

Suspension.
Ill be ordering the sway bar kit before getting the car. That's always the best improvement.
Then a good coil over kit to bring it down an inch. Either the KW or a Koni / H&R kit.
Upgraded sway bar links.
Lower subframe brace.
Upper strut brace?
Seen some engine compartments with and some without, so I assume there's something available.

Exhaust.
Something subtle. Prefer a single wide tip on each side then two pairs.

Remove all emblems.
Badgeless, blacked out front grille.
Blackened window trim.
Seen the vinyl solutions for this, or painting or a factory part?

LED lighting where necessary.
I don't even know if this came on the 09 model or not. All interior will have it. A nice white light, like 5k.

Carbon interior accents.
Dash trim, door trim, etc.
Haven't decided between real carbon replacement panels that are glossy or the 3M Di-nod sticker with a matte finish.

Steering wheel.
Either the S-line or the RS5. I'm thinking both from Europrice are plug and play.
Sifter boot and knob.
I'd like for the steering wheel and shifter boot to be black suede with silver stitching. I see there are guys that will custom wrap just about anything, rather then replace the whole thing. I like a nice thick wheel.

Sound system.
This will be a project in itself. Dynamat the whole interior. At least one 10" sub. I'm an audiophile, my business is building home theaters and high end sound systems with B&W speakers, etc, so quality will be top priority. I don't thin the B&O system would be right for me so it will likely be custom. Ill definitely want it to be stealth but special. Hiding the sub and electronics is the plan I have a couple 30 band EQ's and more already.
Video screen.
I've been considering one of those upgrade with the video screens in dash, but I'm a bit skeptical of this.
Bluetooth for the iPhone5 is a must.
Sirius for Howard Stern is a must.
Rear camera view.
I don't know yet if mine has that option.
Nav.
Also don't think I have this. I think these options come with the premium plus?? I use the iPhone well enough so it's to critical.

Brakes.
Big brake kit, function over form, so 4 piston will suffice. 355 mm will likely be fine too. Rear upgrade, I've seen larger rotors and a spacer for the caliper. Braided lines. Upgraded fluids.

Carbon intake.

Maybe a cool but subtle body kit in the long run.
I like some of the front bumpers I've seen and the fender flares are hot too. Rear wing, I think that might be a bit too flashy for me. Again, going for subtle.
Carbon hood, but painted to match, weight loss is good for handling and fuel economy.

So, if you took the time to read, let me know some secrets. Thanks everyone. Ill be sure to post pics through the process.
I'm in Miami, FL. I have a pretty cool A/V company and showroom with a bunch of cool high end electronics. Always welcome visitors and friends and enthusiasts.
I'm a former car racer, performance driving instructor and avid cyclist, both road and trails.
I visit NC every winter and do some snowboarding and mountain biking.
Any groups on FB you can recommend?

Thanks again,
Seth

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
H&R springs ordered from AWE tuning. They had the best price by far! They contacted me to tell me it was a two week delay. Since I appreciate them letting me know, I will certainly wait patiently.

I also contacted H&R wondering why there are no sway bars for the Q. They said that it could be a combination of engineers not thinking it was necessary and lack of market demand. I'm going to test that market demand by putting up some forums for a group buy. They told me if they could see 100 interested customers they will engineer and build a kit. It may take some time to generate interest, but I'm up for the challenge. It the Q is like any other Audi, besides the RS4, then it needs some bigs sticks to keep it planted!

Still haven't received the car, maybe not for another week, so no biggie.

Also, ordered some vinyl tape to cover the chrome trim from Shadowline Trim.

I spoke with Redline Goods about the steering wheel update. They responded very promptly. I was very impressed with their customer service. Since they have never done a Q, they made me a resonable offer. These guys will wrap anything in almost any color leather and they have authentic Alcantara, just like the factory. Cost to wrap the wheel was about $200, which is significantly less then buying the euro model from Europice, so this will definitelly happen right away. Oh, and shift boot to match with contrasting silver stitching on both. I think the shift boot was less than $100 so a good deal all around. They even offered to find a wheel local they can wrap at a super cheap price so I dont have to send them mine. They say I could easily do it myself, but for $100 labor for them to do it, it's a no brainer.

Does anyone know if the four spoke wheel on the Q5 is the same as other Audi's?? It loks the same, but is the fitment the same? That would be a big help, please adivse!! Thanks.

I promise pics will come, but I have to receive the car first!!

Oh, lastly, these are the wheels Ill be putting on. My friend had them custom made for a B5 S4. They are 18x10, don't go looking for them, because they do not exist in this setup, again, they were custom made.

Look for my forum posts coming up to generate interest in the H&W sway bar kit group buy!! I need 100 buyers, so don't be shy, you know you want it!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Does anyone know if the four spoke wheel on the Q5 is the same as other Audi's?? It loks the same, but is the fitment the same? That would be a big help, please adivse!! Thanks.
Imo if your Q5 came with a 4 spoke wheel the best move is trade it for a 3 spoke one like I do in mine. An 3 spoke wheel apart from the best looking, gives a better and more sporty drive experience.

In the 3 spoke wheels I know that are at least 2 different modelos of wheels with little diferences on the shape of airbag. In the 4 spoke wheels I dont know if all are the same size and shape, but think that is possible...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For now I have chosen to just wrap the four spoke in Alcantara. That will be black with silver stitching. Matching shift boot and arm rest as well. Then the s-tronic shifter handle from Europrice. Should be a nice combo. I think I have to get the sport floor mats now with silver stitching to boot.
Lastly, looking for opinions on monograming the headrests with the rings. Black leather with the same silver stitching. Or is that to flashy ghetto? I think they have some R8 seats that are similar, but in red. Having trouble imagining it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm moving on to my second Audi. I've had an 02 A4 1.8t Avant for about 8 years. Today I got a 09 Q5 premium, silver on black. I had been looking for a good 07 or 08 Avant for quite a while, but the manual models have eluded me. So I figured if I'm going auto, it would be in a Q5.

Most of my spare time is spent going places with my 80lb. lab and mountain biking. Believe it or not there's lots of good tail riding in south Florida. We go on road trips and camping often. I was borrowing a H3 Hummer for the ride as the Avant just wasn't enough space. I know the Q5 is no more space, so I'm counting on the towing capability to ease the load, plus the high roof line in the back, the dog will be comfortable.

I'm a do it yourselfer, I maintained the A4 rather successfully for 150k miles, so I'm looking for any tips and tricks to hopefully skip some pitfalls others have experienced. I expect there is a more limited amount of self installers than with the A4. I have a RossTech VagCom so computer work is possible, expecting a little learning curve for the Q.

I like a sleeper type feel. Subtle yet performance oriented, and focus on light weight where possible.

I've learned some lessons when not to cut corners on quality parts and pay the premium cost as a trade for proper fitment and operation.

My upcoming mods will include the following:
Trailer hitch, tow package.
I'm reading a lot of older issues on this. I mostly will use it for the bikes, but expect to pull a 5x8 enclosed trailer for camping gear, occasionally.

Wheels.
First shot is a custom set of Enkei race forged drilled for a S4. 5 star pattern, 18x10. Painted the same color of the car. Likely something like 275's all around.

Suspension.
Ill be ordering the sway bar kit before getting the car. That's always the best improvement.
Then a good coil over kit to bring it down an inch. Either the KW or a Koni / H&R kit.
Upgraded sway bar links.
Lower subframe brace.
Upper strut brace?
Seen some engine compartments with and some without, so I assume there's something available.

Exhaust.
Something subtle. Prefer a single wide tip on each side then two pairs.

Remove all emblems.
Badgeless, blacked out front grille.
Blackened window trim.
Seen the vinyl solutions for this, or painting or a factory part?

LED lighting where necessary.
I don't even know if this came on the 09 model or not. All interior will have it. A nice white light, like 5k.

Carbon interior accents.
Dash trim, door trim, etc.
Haven't decided between real carbon replacement panels that are glossy or the 3M Di-nod sticker with a matte finish.

Steering wheel.
Either the S-line or the RS5. I'm thinking both from Europrice are plug and play.
Sifter boot and knob.
I'd like for the steering wheel and shifter boot to be black suede with silver stitching. I see there are guys that will custom wrap just about anything, rather then replace the whole thing. I like a nice thick wheel.

Sound system.
This will be a project in itself. Dynamat the whole interior. At least one 10" sub. I'm an audiophile, my business is building home theaters and high end sound systems with B&W speakers, etc, so quality will be top priority. I don't thin the B&O system would be right for me so it will likely be custom. Ill definitely want it to be stealth but special. Hiding the sub and electronics is the plan I have a couple 30 band EQ's and more already.
Video screen.
I've been considering one of those upgrade with the video screens in dash, but I'm a bit skeptical of this.
Bluetooth for the iPhone5 is a must.
Sirius for Howard Stern is a must.
Rear camera view.
I don't know yet if mine has that option.
Nav.
Also don't think I have this. I think these options come with the premium plus?? I use the iPhone well enough so it's to critical.

Brakes.
Big brake kit, function over form, so 4 piston will suffice. 355 mm will likely be fine too. Rear upgrade, I've seen larger rotors and a spacer for the caliper. Braided lines. Upgraded fluids.

Carbon intake.

Maybe a cool but subtle body kit in the long run.
I like some of the front bumpers I've seen and the fender flares are hot too. Rear wing, I think that might be a bit too flashy for me. Again, going for subtle.
Carbon hood, but painted to match, weight loss is good for handling and fuel economy.

So, if you took the time to read, let me know some secrets. Thanks everyone. Ill be sure to post pics through the process.
I'm in Miami, FL. I have a pretty cool A/V company and showroom with a bunch of cool high end electronics. Always welcome visitors and friends and enthusiasts.
I'm a former car racer, performance driving instructor and avid cyclist, both road and trails.
I visit NC every winter and do some snowboarding and mountain biking.
Any groups on FB you can recommend?

Thanks again,
Seth
Welcome to the forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts