Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

i want hill hold assist on my 2.0TDI S-tronic Q5 but the dealer wasnt sure if it was possible to add it on that model (i.e. 2.0 TDI model)

I thought it wasnt possible on those with Start/Stop function so i thought it would be ok.

Any info on that?
Cheers,

Telis

·
Registered
211 Posts
Indeed Hill Hold is not possible together with Start/Stop, but is perfectly fine for S-tronic (that can't be combined with Start/Stop). So you should be perfectly fine to have it with any engine and 2.0 TDI in particular... At least I was, ordered exactly same combination and dealer confirmed that it is OK.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Works fine on my Stronis 2.o S Line Spec Ed !!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hill hold - quite important with s-tronic as it is not a "real auto" and does not have the torque-converter slip characteristic. What I mean is that the s-tronic will allow you to roll downhill whenever it has its clutch disengaged just like a manual, making the hill hold feature very handy at times.
And I certainly have it on my 2.0 TDI s-tronic.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yep. My dealer insisted that it was essential. I'm glad he did

·
Registered
294 Posts
At ?65 I'm sold!

I hadn't considered this but based on all your recommendations it seems a handy thing to have, especially as there's a couple of decent hills near me.

One question - Do you physically have to engage the system or does it do it's jiggery-pokery autonomously in the background?

·
Registered
19 Posts
At ?65 I'm sold!

I hadn't considered this but based on all your recommendations it seems a handy thing to have, especially as there's a couple of decent hills near me.

One question - Do you physically have to engage the system or does it do it's jiggery-pokery autonomously in the background?
It's simple to use - push the button( next to electronic hand brake) to turn it on and again to turn off, or leave it on for the whole journey and it switches off when you turn off the ignition. It's fully automatic and, in effect, replaces the electronic hand brake. It doesn't just work on hills but on the slightest of inclines. Come to a stop and it engages, foot on the throttle and it disengages - simple as that! Excellent bit of kit!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks Keen.

Dealer is telling me I could loose my confirmed build week 18 status if he amends my order.

Now what with all the documented issues on here regarding build/delivery times I'm not so sure I want to take that risk.

Anyone know if this is something that can be retro-fitted?

·
Registered
3 Posts
to my opinion you should add it now - change your order - most probably wont affect your order... for sure it will cost more to retro fit IF it can be retro fit.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Can't run the risk Pantelis. I'm desperate to get in my new wheels asap.

It was never top of my list and (hope) I can live without it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had an A6 loaner without it and after a year with it in the Q5, I found it's exclusion a nuisance. However, if you haven't had it before, you won't notice it missing and will just use the footbrake to hold the car (try using left foot and you can move off without rolling back just the same).

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
after reading the post about this subject,i must be missing the point.I have not got it and the car has never rolled back on a hill how ever steep.

please point me in the right direction if i am wrong.

Rich

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you apply the electronic handbrake manually, when you stop on a hill? If so, as you said there is no issue?

I found the problem in the A6 when facing downhill - I have got used to stopping and just taking my feet off the pedals - when I did that in the A6, it just kept rolling forward. Wouldn't take me long to adjust to not having it though?

It is a "nice to have" rather than a " necessity" - I would much rather have had the front park sensors or electric seats in mine, the exclusion of both cause me some consternation (especially seats - me 6ft, other half 5ft!).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Glad to hear about both your experiences rapidcool and nsm3. Has put my mind at rest.

nsm3 - just seen your sig. Got any pictures?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
after reading the post about this subject,i must be missing the point.I have not got it and the car has never rolled back on a hill how ever steep.

please point me in the right direction if i am wrong.

Rich
Agree entirely Rich!

If I'm stood for any length of time just pop it in park or even just into neutral with handbrake on. Never an issue starting off either up hill or down. To be fair it is rare that I even have to bother with the handbrake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to add it, but my dealer explained what with s-tronic it is not needed. Now I regret taking his advice, since the cost of it was like 20 euros (I guess I was fed-up having to pay for every additional piece of plastic on "luxury" car).

The car does not roll back on up-hill stops, but on steep up-hill stops you have to press foot brake hard first and then car fixes itself without you pressing hard on the foot brake. Or you can push handbrake. Handbrake disengages automatically as you push on the throttle.
The small problem is that often you still have to hold on foot brakes near traffic lights, since car (2.0TDi) tends to edge forward otherwise (if you leave transmission in D).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts