Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People, does anyone know is this true? Today I was informed by dealer that it is not compatible with start stop system and that is why they cant order Audi hill assist.

·
Registered
69 Posts
UK brochure page 48:
UH2 Audi hill-hold assist. Uses either the ESP system or electromechanical parking brake to hold the vehicle stationary
(not available on engines with Start-Stop technology)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunaly the last part is not written in my catalog.
Does the electric handbrake do similar thing but you have to push the button?

·
Banned
801 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Are you kidding me? It is totally unnecessary.

If you want to take your foot off the brake without the car rolling, you simply flick on the hand brake. When you're ready to go, simply press the accelerator pedal, the hand brake automatically disengauges and away you go!

·
Registered
15 Posts

If you want to take your foot off the brake without the car rolling, you simply flick on the hand brake. When you're ready to go, simply press the accelerator pedal, the hand brake automatically disengauges and away you go!
CrustyNoodle,

From your point it is totally unnecessary, maybe you never used it? But I also believe this is one of the best bits in the car. I also agree I would not have another car without it either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
CrustyNoodle,

From your point it is totally unnecessary, maybe you never used it? But I also believe this is one of the best bits in the car. I also agree I would not have another car without it either.
As Crusty and I have both owned Touaregs, where the hill-hold system was "always active", we sometimes wonder why the Audi system requires the driver to select it (ie press the button) when it could be applied every time the conditions demand.
Really though, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the lifting of a finger to activate the park brake (which will auto-release when the accelerator is pressed), and the pushing down of the same finger to activate hill-hold, which will operate the brake when you stop, and also auto-release it when the accelerator is pressed.

I guess there re two differences (apart from "lift finger" vs "push finger down":
1. You activate the park brake AFTER you have stopped, whereas you can activate the hill-holder before you have stopped..
2. You have to activate the park brake every time you stop, whereas you only have to activate the hill-holder once at the beginning of your journey, and it will operate at every set of lights and all stop-start traffic events - and then obediently apply the park brake when you shut down the car.

just my 2 cents worth...

cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
To me the Hill Hold Assist is an extra button for ?50

·
Registered
130 Posts
I assume you think that automatic wipers, automatic lights / high beam and anything else that you can just 'flick a switch' to control otherwise are also totally unnecessary? to me, setting these things once at the beginning of a journey and then never having to touch them again during it is very convenient/relaxing. I don't object to the ?50/?100/?150 they cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I assume you think that automatic wipers, automatic lights / high beam and anything else that you can just 'flick a switch' to control otherwise are also totally unnecessary? to me, setting these things once at the beginning of a journey and then never having to touch them again during it is very convenient/relaxing. I don't object to the ?50/?100/?150 they cost.
Well said dnw. Sometime it?s hard to believe some of the comments people make on here.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Everyone is entitled to there opinion Jason.

Even though it is only an ?45 option, I personally feel it's not a necessity when the 5 comes with an electronic handbrake.

·
Banned
801 Posts
AudiQ5_Sarajevo raised the question as it is possible that the hill assist system Audi incompatible with start / stop system. It is not questioned the cost of any decision to buy lida or not. Just that the price of $ 1 can not be purchased all.
Just read a little on interneteu and you will see that the system
Audi hill assist incompatible with start / stop system End of story

Reactions: richg

·
Registered
240 Posts
AudiQ5_Sarajevo raised the question as it is possible that the hill assist system Audi incompatible with start / stop system. It is not questioned the cost of any decision to buy lida or not. Just that the price of $ 1 can not be purchased all.
Just read a little on interneteu and you will see that the system
Audi hill assist incompatible with start / stop system End of story
As Spijun says, the OP was concerned that if he ordered stop/start then he would not be able to have HHA as the two are apparently incompatible. My point is that given the dubious worth of HHA, the choice between stop/start and HHA is a no brainer.

AudiQ5_Srajevo - go for stop/start rather than Hill Hold Assist - At least stop/start does something of real benefit and you will not miss HHA.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Reading some of the comments it appears people think handbrake = poor mans (manual) hill hold.
This is not the case at all.
I was about to explain the diferrences but will post this link instead:
My link

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I don't have it because I had to draw the line somewhere and other options were more important to me but for what it's worth - if it's only a brief stop I just sit on the brake. Anything other than a brief stop I whack it into Park as I don't like sitting with it in Drive for extended periods and the transmission lock is usually more than adequate for this purpose. For more than a gentle incline and brief stop then I apply the handbrake. Pretty much what HHA does but I have to keep my foot on the brake or apply the handbrake

1 - 18 of 18 Posts