Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone have the Audi drive select, damper control or dynamic steering options?

Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep I've got the dynamic steering

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May I ask for your feedback on this option, did you consider damper control?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I quite like the dynamic steering. Nice and soft and easy to turn when driving slow and in car parks etc, and the stiffens up when driving faster.

You can obviously force it to be soft or hard all the time be choosing the individual mode and setting it to dynamic or comfort. Most of the time I leave it on auto and it does a decent job - and definitely something you can notice actively working and changing.

As i bought my car second hand I didn't get the choice of damper control - however if it does what I think it does by softening or hardening the suspension - then it would have been nice to have as its quite a hard ride on 20" on the s-line.

The 2013 model has some updated electro mechanical steering system though - so I don't know whether or not that negates the dynamic steering option? I guess it doesn't - but maybe worth trying a car with and without.

Only thing I really hate about drive select is that its on the dashboard above the air con controls, the buttons are really actually quite small . and this takes some of the spontaneity out of quickly switching to dynamic. I wish the drive selects options were on the steering wheel somehow instead

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to decide whether it is worth the cost when I order my new Q5.

I shall have the opportunity to try drive select and damper control when I test drive on Sunday.

Presently I have an S Line with 19" wheels and I think I may choose that again. 20" could be a bit too harsh for the rough roads I frequent.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have it on my A8, its not worth the cost. Dynamic mode is all I use and that's the same as normal driving on my Q5, don't waste your money IMHO.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've got the whole package and I love it. Has to be said I don't use comfort very often. But auto, dynamic and individual get used regularly. I wish the buttons to change it were a little closer though........but i suspect that's a safety feature to prevent accidental changing at a crucial moment. You wouldn't want to accidently change from dynamic to comfort mid flow.

I like the dynamic steering as it reduces the input you need for steering.

I think this package particularly suits the power of the 3.0 Tdi

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Missle

have you tried the car on the 20" wheels? We tried 19's and 20's when we bought ours and felt the 20" was just to fidgety -
We're now looking at a 2013 MY car and of course the S-Line Plus has 20" as standard so may be forced down the Adaptive damper route

·
Registered
130 Posts
We have an sline plus on 20's. I really think audi have altered the suspension setup on the new model as it is much more comfortable and compliant than the test car I drove which was an se model on 18's.

Remember now with an sline you get standard se suspension as standard and have to specify slne suspension.

We have some pretty bad roads around here and I cannot recall one bang or crash or jarring movement, it really is well sorted suspension..... Which really surprises me as I was under the impression German car makers only cared about handling and not comfort.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Hi Jonathanbr, My old Q5 S Line is shod with 19" boots and standard suspension. I tested a Q5 3.0TDI with 20" and standard suspension and di not detect much difference in the ride quality or handling.

Hi MrRob, I would agree the car does not need or suit sport suspension.

One thing I did notice is the Leather / Alcantara seats felt more comfortable than Leather / Leather.

Did you guys form an opinion on whether to go with AMI add mobile prep low blue tooth or mobile prep high with Audi connect?

My head hurts trying to work out which options are value for money.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would add Mobile prep high with the connect function, but thats only becasue i'm a sucker for toys, would also consider upgrading the Technology Pack high to the new Advanced one to add Adaptive Cruise etc for £650(ish)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would add Mobile prep high with the connect function, but thats only becasue i'm a sucker for toys, would also consider upgrading the Technology Pack high to the new Advanced one to add Adaptive Cruise etc for £650(ish)
I have the Audi connect on my 2013 Q5 and its one of the best options i chose, Google maps and street view are awesome aditions.
You must go for the high beam assist aswell you never have to worry about blinding other car users with your full beam as the car takes care of switching them on and off as required, perfect!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Advanced Key is the best thing I have on the A8 that I didn't have on the Q5 - very convienient leaving the key in your pocket and just pressing buttons, I'd definately spec this if I was buying a new Audi. In addition the Tyre Pressure Monitoring has been very useful and I've found that most days I put the heated seats on rather than the climate control - this saves fuel and keeps the car temp comfortable - again I'd spec this in every car I have from now on. The Lane Assist, Drive Assist are not really worth the money, not sure if it's available on the Q5 but the Night Vision is also a bit of a gimmick unless you live in the country and travel at night a lot. Adaptive Cruise for £650 is a bargain and highly recommended.

I had Alcantara seats in my Q7 and they were a nightmare, any spillage is difficult to clean and the driver seat showed signs of wear after 20k miles where as the all leather seats I have had on other Audi's have held up a lot better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts