Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - trying to weigh up the options of putting Audi connect on my order (more for re-sale value for having lots of options and bearing in mind 3/4 years time it will most likey be a standard option on cars)

Anyone's views on the good, bad, things to be aware of would be much appreciated?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Have a search on here mate. I've written 2 or 3 extensive explanations of the good the bad and the quibbles.

(Too hung over from my stag night to search for you - sorry!)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Options for re-sale are pointless. The only 2 things add value (other than the gearbox and engine combo) - full leather and the SatNav.
Other items will aid resale, but not add value. Buy for you and if you like it/want it - do it.

Audi connect, its not really something that gives you anything over the normal.
Most people will think the Audi system is looking dated, connect just adds cost (SIM) to the user and how often do you really need it?
No RASP support, and the only thing it gives you is old google images.

I think you have the main things on your spec already - heated seats, B&O, advance key and the leather plus.
save your money..

·
Banned
289 Posts
Agree with the above, except that I'd also say that the paint choice can have an impact on residual value. Generally speaking, outrageous colours should be avoided and metallics are more popular.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Audi Connect, beyond novelty value really comes into its own if you are a high mileage driver. Being able to plan routes from a tablet or PC and pick them up in the car is genuinely useful as is the Google real time traffic data, vastly superior to TMC.

Will it add value? Nope, not a chance I'm afraid.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for info and views, I think it's going to be a no........

·
Registered
225 Posts
I believe Audi connect does have Rsap had it working on both Galaxy S2 and S4 but had to get an app for the S2. However as others have said it really isn't worth it. I only used Google images when I first got my car and probably twice looked at the news and weather info on there while stuck in traffic. The main benefit for me was the live traffic info because I think it is better/more up to date than normal phone prep but the big downside is text messages only come onto the mmi screen and not your phone and you only have template replies. I decided not to to add it this time and just went for the phone prep with voice control, also didn't add parking system advanced or hill hold (which I had on my last car and dont really need) so money saved to go towards the 21" wheels!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
RSAP works on the Galaxy S3 too.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Surely Audi connect would negate the need for expensive Sat/Nav updates from Audi? Just use google maps all the time. I wish I had specc'd it...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
RASP - not on apple, but thats an appleism to be fair.
Also connect does not update the map data is my understand - you still need to purchase the updates.
You only get an overlay of data (traffic flow).

·
Registered
877 Posts
RASP - not on apple, but thats an appleism to be fair.
Also connect does not update the map data is my understand - you still need to purchase the updates.
You only get an overlay of data (traffic flow).
I know it doesn't update Audi maps but surely you can run google maps via a data card?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well I have spent an hour configuring new cars Audi connect this afternoon many thanks to Jose. I have used the RASP on my S3 and it worked ok. Better than me trying to understand what I was doing. Will be interesting to see how google maps aids sat nav if at all. Real traffic data though will be useful on journeys.

I cannot see that it will add value to the car but if you are gadget man why would you not want it???

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Just to say I use Audi Connect EVERY day. I would spec it on any new car, and I don't give a monkeys that it costs me £10 a month to have the extra SIM (because I have an Apple phone). I bought a £56k car for goodness sake, I can afford £10pcm.

Regarding the maps updating - as mentioned it doesn't update the map info, it just overlaps satellite imagery over the top - so if a road gets updated (in the real world) the maps data will be wrong and so will the google image over the top (as a lot of is if >4 years old) - in actual fact, if you updated the Audi maps then the Google data will probably lag a year or so behind it...

And to add the internet traffic is so much better than TMC I think this ALONE is worth the option cost and £10 a month... But I probably also send 5-6 destinations to the car per week from my phone/PC and find the Google imagery really boosts the feel of the Maps (it looks so dated if you turn it off now).

At the end of the day it is a gimmicky gadget, and you could live without it, but on the other hand, it's bloody useful IMO. If I was buying a second hand Audi this option would make me prefer a car over another that didn't have it for sure. But that's because I've experienced the feature - many/most prospective used Q5 owners will not realise how good it is so won't be giving you an extra £200 for it (you could always point it out on a test drive - all my friends think it's awesome and can't believe the car can do all these things!).

Reactions: Mobydick
1 - 13 of 13 Posts