Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys two quick queries for you...

Is it possible to stream (Bluetooth) music to 3G MMI while using the Nav at the same time?

Also as I have a iPhone 5s I'm assuming I'll need a separate Sim for the Google Maps functionality to work? If so... Is it possible for the new sim to sort that and have my phone connected for contacts / calls etc at the same time?

Just been thinking about the above, my estimated delivery has moved from Nov to Sept, still a bit off but movement in the right direction at least!

Cheers guys,

Mark

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
As Apple haven't fully implemented the current Bluetooth stack an iPhone doesn't support a 'Remote SIM access profile (rSAP) so you won't have the option of Bluetooth and mobile data concurrently. I

From Week 22, 2013 production onwards the Audi mobile connect high option supports a separate SIM for data as you correctly surmise so you need some cheap deal for a data only SIM. To give you an idea of your likely data consumption, I used 1.6GB of data in the first 10,000 miles/6 months - so 250Mb a month is adequate.

Audi do a mobile phone compatibility list here http://audi-intellig...bluetooth/prod/, if you check the music interface tab you can see that Bluetooth audio is supported. I've had a play with it using a Galaxy S3 and S5 and it does work though the audio quality isn't fabulous, your B&O investment deserves better. The level of interface for contacts data is also listed.

A lot of us the two SD card slots, 32GB capacity on each or you can put a USB disk on the AMI port in the glove box, or cable your iPhone in direct. The 32GB slots also support video in .avi format at a specific resolution too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John that's great, can you use your Nav and stream music at the same time or not?

Mark

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can use normal hard drive maps at any time while streaming music from the phone.

If you mean can you use google earth maps while streaming music it's a little more complicated.

1) If the iphone is hard connected through through AMI in glove box - you can stream music while using google earth maps on the nav (with a data sim in the dash). If a call comes in and your also connected through the hands free profile, you can take the call, but as soon as you do the priority is given to the sim in your phone , a the sim in your dash will stop receiving google data, if the call is not long you probably will not notice.

2) If you do not have the phone connected through AMI, streaming music will cause the same issue as taking a call and the car will need to prioritise the phone, so you will not get google data, but the nav will work fine with default maps. I think that would be the same whether connected through hand free or car phone profile - but I am not sure. Perhaps someone else could confirm.

It's also worth telling you that my understanding of this is theoretical ! I may not be quite right, but I thought I would answer you with what I think I know! Hope it helps

·
Registered
71 Posts
No offence taken, I said I was on shaky ground, and your mail is informative.

Further to the OP's original post and your explanation.

Are you saying that the iphone will not connect at all in carphone (rsap) profile ? and that rsap profiles only function is to treat the phone sim as though it were in the dash (clues in the name I suppose !). It has nothing to do with anything else ? i.e if the phone is connected through rsap, it will not stream music unless it is either connected through handsfree or AMI as well ?

And also, if the sim in the phone cannot be accessed at all, if the phone is connected though a cradle in the glove, will the phone aerial be used or the cars ? presumably you will still need the phone to be connected through handsfree (bluetooth) to receive calls through the car. Is that right ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
An iPhone can't use rSAP, so your data connection for Google map/internet data needs to be a separate SIM.

When rSAP is active (on a say a Samsung Galaxy) the phone handset is effectively disabled as a portable device and all the control is passed to the car's systems (you can't make calls or send texts or surf the internet).

The Bluetooth connection uses the car's antenna for reception.

Hopefully the next generation of iPhone will do the job properly...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks john

>> Hopefully the next generation of iPhone will do the job properly...

somehow I doubt it !

>> When rSAP is active (on a say a Samsung Galaxy) the phone handset is effectively disabled as a portable device and all the control is passed to the car's systems (you can't make calls or send texts or surf the internet).

Does that mean that if the phone is not connected through handsfree in addition to rsap - music will not be streamed from the phone ? And if the phone is connected to a cradle in the glove does that establish the rsap connection through a hard wired connection ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thanks john

>> Hopefully the next generation of iPhone will do the job properly...

somehow I doubt it !

>> When rSAP is active (on a say a Samsung Galaxy) the phone handset is effectively disabled as a portable device and all the control is passed to the car's systems (you can't make calls or send texts or surf the internet).

Does that mean that if the phone is not connected through handsfree in addition to rsap - music will not be streamed from the phone ? And if the phone is connected to a cradle in the glove does that establish the rsap connection through a hard wired connection ?

Thanks
According to that Audi website Bluetooth audio streaming does work for the iPhone or you can use a cable connection from the glovebox. iPhone doesn't do rSAP, period so the cable connection is via AMI (Audi Music Interface).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone that's great info, really appreciate it. was worried I would be stuck with navigation commands without any music. can't wait till it arrives to sort it all out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts