Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am hoping to get some advice.

Although I have a Q7 (MY14) - I have the SLineplus - with MMI with Audi Connect.

However, I went to Vodafone bought a £10/month, 1Gb data SIM, loaded it into front console and I still cannot get a data connection.

I see the icon showing the bars and 3G shows where I have this, yet still the data connection doesn't register.

Took it to a dealer today, they confirmed car set up is fine but still couldnt route cause.

It may be I need a better data only SIM plan.

Any contributions welcome!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was wondering about this. I was considering getting a giffgaff sim with a data only goodybag. What I want to know is if you can have a SIM inserted and a bluetooth connection simultaneously.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I was wondering about this. I was considering getting a giffgaff sim with a data only goodybag. What I want to know is if you can have a SIM inserted and a bluetooth connection simultaneously.
From what I read when ordering the Q5, you can use the sim and another phone on bluetooth.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
What are you trying to get over the data connection?

Google Earth Maps
Google destinations
Traffic
Weather
Wifi bridge

????

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jose what you described exactly is really what I am looking for.

As I said dealer said car set up was correct. Even went on "my audi" did VIN entry, got code for MMI which technician entered...Only advice provided was that SIM may have issues but then I see the connection bars and it does toggle between 3G and 2G as this changes by area.

I'm kind of stumped here..car all good. Vodafone data Sim should work yet no data connection.

Has anyone had same dilemma and opted for another SIM deal that worked no issue?

Thanks all.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I have a Vodafone sim in mine.
There are a number of settings in telephone-settings.
Mine is set to 'auto' rather than optimised for data or optimised for telephone. I tried the data setting and it stopped working...
Check that for starters?

Also in there is a Connections menu which then had data and wifi menus.
In data set it to be always on without request.
Wifi you can set up the SSID that will be broadcast by the car and the password.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will give that a go. Thanks Jose.

Is your vodafone SIM data only and you use different phone/sim bonded with Bluetooth for calls?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It's a normal contract sim with 2gb a month and unlimited mins/SMS.

At the moment my iphone is relegated to Bluetooth music and contacts only as I have MY13 and am still waiting for the MMI update I allow it to take calls along with the on board SIM handling data.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Note that MY14 cars can use the SIM for data with a bluetooth phone for calls - but the phone will be connected in 'handsfree' mode not 'car phone' mode.
So you can't use an RSAP connection along with the on board SIM - the phone will still use its internal aerial.
The car only has 1 GSM module, which either uses the local SIM in the dash or a remote SIM (over RSAP bluetooth). 'Handsfree' mode does not actually use the cars GSM module at all, it just streams the call audio to/from the mic/speakers over bluetooth and the phone's GSM module is doing the hard work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a play...still no data connection.

Confirmed that WIFI works as can connect on wifi my phone...albeit with no actual internet access.

I think my next step is back to vodafone to query the sim and plan...it is data only (so should work) but believe from other posts that needed a generic data and voice sim.

Loving technology ;-)

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
You shouldn't need voice/SMS services. The car doesn't know any different, have you got a phone you can try the sim in and use the Internet?

FYI my company makes telecoms equipment and sell it to the likes of Vodafone so if you do get really stuck I can at least always give useful tech advice!

It's bound to be a setting at Vodafone or maybe one in the car though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jose...my phone has micro sim going to get adapter to try that as i have O2 sim with data in my company phone, if that works then it's back to VF..think you're correct..it's just finding the setting on either side and conveying to the guys working in the VF stores what I am trying to do...i.e it's not going in a phone or an iPad....surely not that hard!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thanks Jose...my phone has micro sim going to get adapter to try that as i have O2 sim with data in my company phone, if that works then it's back to VF..think you're correct..it's just finding the setting on either side and conveying to the guys working in the VF stores what I am trying to do...i.e it's not going in a phone or an iPad....surely not that hard!
Just a lateral thought for a moment, and this will only work if you haven't got an iPhone, can you get the data connection to work via Bluetooth? As Jose has already said one does need to play with the settings a bit, Audi must be paranoid about being sued over data consumption so it defaults everything to off/on demand. I have a Vodafone Samsung Galaxy s3 and that works fine (well the phone forgets the car about once a month but aside from that).

My 1st 9000 miles/6 months of data consumption (all Google maps/traffic data and the odd text msg) equated to 1.30GB as recorded by the car which is negligible in mobile data contract terms, I think I have a 2.25GB monthly allowance.

Reactions: marky9074

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As an update...

Couldn't get vodafone working and now cancelling their service...reason being...after more detective work...

I bought a micro-sim to sim converter off amazon for £3 just to insert my phone SIM and check how that went. It worked!

I then went and bought a SIM from GIFFGAFF.com (free SIM).

I signed up for the data £7.50 / month goody bag for 1Gb data in a month.

Applied the requisite codes in the data connection set up (had to change as GIFFGAFF runs on O2 network).

Now works a treat and it's £2.50 a month cheaper than Vodafone.

Recommend it.

On 2 hours driving yesterday with GoogleEarth maps, used 33Mb total, so thinking 1Gb a month should be fine - but will see how we go when using WIFI hotspot with kids devices...

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My GiffGaff SIM for the car arrived yesterday too! I had to change the APN settings, but apart from that was up in no time...

So is your new SIM in the car or in the phone (my Nokia does not support the bluetooth profile so had to put a SIM in the car).

·
Registered
794 Posts
i'm disappointed the MMI only uses RSAP for it's telephone functions as this is relatively old technology not supported by many new phones - meaning i cannot use my phone's data connection.

i think i wouldn't need to use a seperate SIM card if it used HFP.

is anyone having much joy linking a mobile phone to the MMI and using the phones data (3G) connection?

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
RSAP (remote sim access profile) is Bluetooth connection to allow data/3G access via your phone. It works with almost anything but an iphone.
I did it with my galaxy s3 and it's great, works just like putting the sim in the dash but you can walk away with the same number in your phone as it is a Bluetooth connection.
RSAP takes control of the sim in the phone as if it was in the dash, so the phone goes to sleep and doesn't use any power as the gsm module in the car is using the roof aerial - the network actually thinks you will have put your sim in a new phone (as such I got the welcome SMS with settings etc when I first connected my samsung).

Reactions: rifleman

·
Registered
256 Posts
RSAP (remote sim access profile) is Bluetooth connection to allow data/3G access via your phone. It works with almost anything but an iphone.
I did it with my galaxy s3 and it's great, works just like putting the sim in the dash but you can walk away with the same number in your phone as it is a Bluetooth connection.
RSAP takes control of the sim in the phone as if it was in the dash, so the phone goes to sleep and doesn't use any power as the gsm module in the car is using the roof aerial - the network actually thinks you will have put your sim in a new phone (as such I got the welcome SMS with settings etc when I first connected my samsung).

It doesn't work on any new WP Nokia....

I 'think' I just burnt £5 of data on giffgaff on a ~40 minute drive... that's quite a lot! I was doing it for a test, but won't be doing that again (on PAYG). Trouble is I'm not about to set up a goodybag just for the luxury of having google maps in the car either..

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
It doesn't work on any new WP Nokia....

I 'think' I just burnt £5 of data on giffgaff on a ~40 minute drive... that's quite a lot! I was doing it for a test, but won't be doing that again (on PAYG). Trouble is I'm not about to set up a goodybag just for the luxury of having google maps in the car either..
No surprise there - Microsoft copying Apple!
It is certainly a feature you can live without. For me it's more about sending destinations to the car than the google earth maps.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's on my list for things to try

So what is the easiest way to do it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts