Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All,

I've registered here in the hope that some of you may be able to help me finalise a spec for my next car, which is likely looking to be an Audi Q5. I've had an F11 BMW 530d MSport Touring (2011) for a year. It's a lovely car, but the handling isn't what I had hoped despite the reviews that rave about it. It's a bit of a barge, and it's a bit low down for some of the speed bumps around here in rural Cambridgeshire. My other half has a Discovery 3 and I enjoy having a raised seating position and larger mirrors... So i'm going to chop the 5 in for a crossover type vehicle. The X3 doesn't have adaptive cruise control which is something I really wanted, I love the Evoque but they don't do a diesel engine with any more than 4 cylinders and although I love Volvo's, the XC60's interior doesn't really do anything for me and it's not anything special.

That leaves me with the Q5. I spent a good 4 hours or so at Cambridge Audi the other day and drove an A6 BiTurbo and a Q5 S-Line 2.0 TDi. The Q5 was fantastic. The BiTurbo was fast.

My options are really going to be as follows:

1 - a Q5 3.0 TDi S-Line Plus Black Edition S-Tronic with most options ticked. This gives an OTR list price of £51,045.

2 - an SQ5 3.0 BiTurbo Tiptronic. Again, most options ticked save for TV and the silly blind spot indicator function. This gives an OTR list price of £53,000.

My questions are:

- How does the variable damper control option work, what does it do?
- The SQ5 does not have the damper control option available. Is it going to be too firm for everyday use? It would need to be competent on bumpy backroads and ride nicely round corners, but remain planted and confident at 70mph on the motorways/dual carriageways.
- What's the general preference between S-Tronic (7 Speed) and Tiptronic (ZF 8 Speed)? I have the 8 speed in the 5 series and it's quite smooth and lightning fast to change. Are it's characteristics much different to the S-Tronic?
- What are residuals *likely* to look like on either spec - will the SQ5 be worth a bit more than the Q5 S-Line Plus after 3 years?
- Does anyone have the Climate Cup Holder - is it good? This sold the Q5 to me... on paper it's a fantastic idea.
- Will the SQ5 sit *noticably* lower on the road than the standard Q5 S-Line? I want to make sure that my next car gives me a higher driving position than my 5 series! I assume that it won't catch any speed bumps though as the ground clearance must be a bit higher...

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to ordering a Q5 or SQ5 in the next few days.

Cheers,

Chris.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Good Morning John, Sounds like you have a few dicisions to make !!, firstly ive had 2 s-line 3.0ltr tdi Q5's and think its probably the best all rounder car ive ever owned and ive had a few ! , first one had climate cup holders, only used it twice really to keep baby's bottle warm thought it was a gimick at first but then didnt really use it again, ive ordered an SQ5 and havnt ticked that box !!,
As for the choice between the 3.0ltr and the SQ5 for me there's no contest really the SQ5 wins Hands down on looks, power with the fantastic Bi-Turbo, ive drove the A6 Bi- Turbo many times now and its worlds apart from the standard 240 BHP Q5, fuel economy looks ok too, i think it will look a lot lower on the road, its 30mm lower and with the 21" alloys ive specced it will look lower,

hope all the helps, sorry i cant help you out on the Transmission side not really upto speed on that topic,

All the best Merlin

PS make sure you get some discount, i managed about a grand of a 52K spec

·
Registered
202 Posts
HI I'm new to the forum also after just ordering an SQ5. I guess it really just depends on what you want from the car. I personally wanted something that was fast, sporty looking, 4x4 and decent economy (im used to 15mpg at the moment so anything from 25 up im happy with) so the SQ5 was a good fit.
Going through your questions in order:
I have the variable damper control in my current car, it has three settings, think the Q5 has a further one? It just changes the damping rate, to be honest after the 1st week i expect you wouldnt even use it after you have found the best setting for you. But i guess it is nice to have this choice over the standard setup.
Will the SQ5 be too firm, again i guess it just depends on what you are used to - i know it wont be for me. You might not want to spec the 21" wheels if you are worrying about this now, hard choice as they look so good

On a further note, i know the SQ5 doesnt have this, but when i was ordering and going through the options on screen at the dealer the damper control was listed, i just overlooked assuming it was a mistake.

The SQ5 had to have the Tiptronic as the S-Tronic isnt rated for the levers of torque. I dont think you will have any issue with either, or be able to tell the difference in real life.

Residuals, who knows we are all going to lose our shirts - all i know is the Q5 has been performing well, but the 3.0 and the SQ5 are for a more targeted audience. I would 'hope' the SQ5 fair better than the Q5 you mention above being more specialized, but one can only hope.

Climate Cup Holder - had to tick that box myself, never used it but for £100 why the heck not.

I think you would definitely notice the SQ5 being lower, and as merlin said with the 21" wheels taking up more of the arch, even more so. Those speed bumps round you must be massive!

Discounts are possible - i got just over a £1k and the first two services thrown in. I think i could have got it cheaper using broadspeed but for me i wanted to stay local.

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your repllies.

- I don't particulary mind about it looking lower, but will the driving position only be 3cm lower than a standard Q5 S-Line? I want to ensure that I definately will be sitting noticably higher up than a standard 5 Series M Sport Touring! I really do enjoy the 'comanding view...' I would be going for the standard 20" wheels, I think that they look the best.

- The only thing that puts mee off S-Tronic is reading some people complain about it's characteristics - e.g. being stopped at a junction and when you put your foot on the gas it takes a moment to engage drive and there is a delay in pulling away. Is anyone able to say if this is correct or if this has been corrected? If the 7 speed would be un-noticable in difference from the 8 speed then that's fine - I personally think my BMW has too many gears - either that or the software that manages the gearbox causes it to hunt through them too much.

- I notice that the stated wading depths on the Q5 and SQ5 are massively different - more than the 3cm it's lowered by. Is the air intake at the bottom on the SQ5?

- WIll the SQ5 be as quiet during normal driving as the Q5 3.0?

The dilemma is really that I would love the BiTurbo engine and Tiptronic box in a Q5 S-Line Plus black edition in Daytona Grey. That for me is the ideal combination as I prefer the styling. 4 pipes on the back looks sporty, but i'm not sure if the image is a bit "look at me!"

·
Registered
11 Posts
In full detail, here are my two options:

One

S line Plus 3.0 TDI quattro S tronic 245 PS

Daytona Grey, pearl effect

Seats: Front sports seats
Material: Fine Nappa leather, two-colour
Seats: cloudy grey
Dashboard: black-black
Carpet: black
Headliner: black

Equipment

Adaptive headlights
Advanced key
AE Pack
Audi drive select
Audi exclusive line
Audi hill-hold assist
Audi Parking System Advanced
Black roof rails
Climate cup holder
Damper control
Deletion of model and technology designation at rear
Door mirrors - electrically adjustable, folding, heated and auto-dimming with memory function
Electrically-adjustable front seats with memory function
Heated front and outer rear seats
High-beam assist
Interior light package
Load-area fixing kit
Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi connect
Open sky panoramic sunroof
Black styling package
DAB digital radio
Rear bench seat plus
Rear side airbags
Sound package
Storage package
Technology package - Advanced
Tyre pressure loss indicator
Underfloor storage tray in boot

£51,045 OTR

Two

SQ5 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic 313 PS

Monsoon Grey, metallic

Material: Fine Nappa Leather
Seats: Moon silver-Black
Dashboard: Black-Black
Carpet: Black
Headliner: Silver

Equipment
Adaptive headlights
Advanced key
Audi drive select
Audi hill-hold assist
Audi Parking System Advanced
Black roof rails
Climate cup holder
Deletion of model and technology designation at rear
Door mirrors - electrically adjustable, folding, heated and auto-dimming with memory function
Electrically-adjustable front seats with memory function
Headlining, cloth
Heated front and outer rear seats
High-beam assist
Leather package Plus
Load-area fixing kit
Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi connect
Open sky panoramic sunroof
Power-operated tailgate
Privacy glass
DAB digital radio
Rear bench seat plus
Rear side airbags
Sound package
Storage package
Technology package - Advanced
Technology package - High
Tyre pressure loss indicator
Underfloor storage tray in boot

£53,605 OTR.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thats one hell of a spec on both cars,id still go for the SQ5 , they will be quite rare although you dont see many Q5'S around i think the SQ5 most definatley will be more scarce ,, looking at the specs i think you have to decide they are both fantastic cars but the SQ5 for me will have the edge, i think it will hold more than a 2K difference after 3 years, but hey who knows !! all the best in your decision sorry i cant help with that one any more ,, Merlin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

What would delivery times look like on both as a rough guesstimation?

The dealership weren't able to give me a simulated build week on an SQ5 - but they said they expected Q3 into Q4 - September being between the two. That's an awful long time to wait...

·
Registered
700 Posts
I wouldnt have thought they are miles away saying that, so many different leads times at the moment you never can tell until the order is placed, push the dealers into confirming dates with the factory up front or giving you a more accurate time scale, which ever you decide it will be well worth waiting for,

All the best Merlin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, Thanks.

I may go and order the SQ5 tomorrow then...

I will have to hope that it holds value a bit better than the 3.0 TDi S-Line Plus to go part way to meet some of the price difference. I've been offered £1,300 off if I take the PCP deal which I will do. I'll put £32,500 down as soon as I can and that should leave me with monthly payments of £450ish and a baloon payment at the end of roughly £6500. The final payment on the lesser model is roughly £3500 so it may, ultimately, be swings and roundabouts.

The Audi Complete service, maintenance and tyres package is more expensive on the SQ5 than the Q5 too, so will need to budget for that as well.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Engine choice is down to you, but with massive spec you are likely to be hit harder with trade-in values..
PCP GFV on a 20TDi is 20353, on a SQ5 its 26505 both after 3 years (numbers from Audi)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snow Man - thanks for this. The Audi Dealership whilst unable to give me an exact figure for what it would be worth after 3 years, said that the guaranteed future values that they give are normally around 70% of the vehicles actual value... So I would hope to see a comfortable £30k back after 3 years to put into my next car...

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Audi Complete service, maintenance and tyres package is more expensive on the SQ5 than the Q5 too, so will need to budget for that as well.
Rather than taking the service pack try get them to include some services for free, (i got two) stick your hand out and let them shake it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rather than taking the service pack try get them to include some services for free, (i got two) stick your hand out and let them shake it.
I've been reading about 2 services most people get - but I would go for the Service/Maintenance/Tyres package so all I need to do is worry about Fuel/Tax (for the 2nd/3rd year) & Insurance... That way I can budget for it to the penny... 20" tyres are £300 each too! Has anyone ever had a deal on this?

·
Registered
202 Posts
everything is negotiable - they can only say no

Reactions: stumblingtrout

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your q5 spec apart from black roof rails and suspension is identical to mine that I've just picked up.

Thing is you forot to factor in one thing.

You can get almost 10% discount on the q5 but you'll get next to nothing n the sq5. Now do the maths.

Btw you can't get the funky suspension with 20" wheels. I didn't and dont regret it a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adamantium - thanks... How do you find the S-Tronic gearbox?

I didn't realise you can't spec the damper control with 20" wheels - the configurator allows you to select it.

Nice spec, did you get much of a discount? How long did it take to build?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Snow Man - thanks for this. The Audi Dealership whilst unable to give me an exact figure for what it would be worth after 3 years, said that the guaranteed future values that they give are normally around 70% of the vehicles actual value... So I would hope to see a comfortable £30k back after 3 years to put into my next car...
That used to be true, but my understanding is that closer to 50% now and less on some models.
I also believe its based on the list price without options. Only thing to add value is the Nav unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What I think he meant is that the GFMV that they will sometimes quote you on purchase when you take PCP will be roughly 70% of what it may be worth in 3 years - so if your £55,000 vehicle is worth £30k in 3 years, they will quote a GFMV of £21,000 and reassess as to whether or not it's worth more than that at the end of the term.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Adamantium - thanks... How do you find the S-Tronic gearbox?

I didn't realise you can't spec the damper control with 20" wheels - the configurator allows you to select it.

Nice spec, did you get much of a discount? How long did it take to build?
Be very surprised re the 20" wheels. Does it let you go all the way to the end? I tried it in the past and when I moved beyond that category it reversed the option and wouldn't let me proceed.

The s-tronic gearbox is a joy to use. I was hugely dissapointed that the SQ only had a torque convertered tiptronic. In operation there probably isn't much in it, but as a keen technophile who has worked on the twin clutch from its conception through to modern developments, I just had to own one. I now vow that I'll never have another clutched manual or torque controllered auto.

I've even converted my wife to preferring it as she was a staunch autophobe before. I think she's trying the paddles today.

I am a fan of the audi s-tronic in particular and find it almost as good as the porsche pdk system, though ultimately there's not much in it as 99% of them are made by borg-warner anyway.

I've had 4 GT-Rs all with the gr6 twin clutch, and my previous A5 was s-tronic and I have nothing but praise for them.

I know it's a different set up but on the gt-r, it doesn't seem to struggle withstanding 710lbft of torque!

For me there just wasn't enough in it.

I couldn't have a Q5 or any kind of A5 (which I love) as my main car, as I need real speed to get my driving kicks. That means the Q5 is plenty fast enough, and I don't think there's much in it in the looks department against the SQ5.

The S is fast, but not that much faster, poorer on economy and will have a worse ride and a torque converter as well as being approaching 10k more expensive. Like I said, I get the speed from the GTR. If it were my main and only drive I would probably go for the S, but for my wife, I don't need her going sub 6 to 60.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts