Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was just looking for a bit of feedback on this.

I have remapped a 320d and 520d that I have owned previously with great results and am finding the new Q5 a little slow now in comparison. With the BMW I was able to download via the OBD socket and this could be reversed at anytime and was undetectable by the dealer as BMW ECU's don't remember how many times they have been accessed.

My questions are, has anyone had this done and who by and also is it invisible to the dealer, I am sure I have read somewhere that Audi ECU's count and tell the dealer they have been accessed?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was thinking about remapping too and made some search on Internet for. Basically it seems that:
- there is counter of re-flashes in Audi ECU.
- some of tuners try to fool/reset the counter to original value after re-flash (like superchips's bluefin), but not give guarantee that this will work due to some protection schemes introduced by Audi on some ECUs.
- for the same reason it might not be possible even to remap ECU without physical replacement. In few places I've seen a note that due to protection schemes re-flashing without knowing some security codes or special tools is not possible (e.g. cannot be done over OBDC port).
- In contrary there is also lots of information about successful and well working remaps, especially from well known tuners like APR or ABT (not all offer TDI mapping but rather TSI, though).
- I have also a chat about this with my dealer. Their position is clear; this is violating guarantee. Even using authorized tuners (like ABT) means that it is ABT guarantee for engine and transmission, not Audi anymore...
- so it looks like the safest way to go are some power boxes... though probably not the best solution out there

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was thinking about remapping too and made some search on Internet for. Basically it seems that:
- there is counter of re-flashes in Audi ECU.
- some of tuners try to fool/reset the counter to original value after re-flash (like superchips's bluefin), but not give guarantee that this will work due to some protection schemes introduced by Audi on some ECUs.
- for the same reason it might not be possible even to remap ECU without physical replacement. In few places I've seen a note that due to protection schemes re-flashing without knowing some security codes or special tools is not possible (e.g. cannot be done over OBDC port).
- In contrary there is also lots of information about successful and well working remaps, especially from well known tuners like APR or ABT (not all offer TDI mapping but rather TSI, though).
- I have also a chat about this with my dealer. Their position is clear; this is violating guarantee. Even using authorized tuners (like ABT) means that it is ABT guarantee for engine and transmission, not Audi anymore...
- so it looks like the safest way to go are some power boxes... though probably not the best solution out there
I am very happy with the plug-in box "DP Chip" that I have in my 2.0 TDI s-tronic. Now I am in Australia and mine is a 125kW - I believe this is the 170 in your money.
I was fortunate in being able to have the chip installed by its (local Australian) developer - Berrima Diesel - and they optimised it with a session on the 4WD dyno.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put a spider tuning box on my 170, worked a treat.. Much smoother and much more urgency from a standing start..

Really can't knock it at all..!

·
Banned
842 Posts
Any one any more information on this topic? What about someone like Revo? Do they do anything with the Q5?

·
Banned
801 Posts

·
Banned
842 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not sure about guarantee with ABT; I was told by my dealer that any modification done to engine (dos not matter by whom) will void Audi guarantee. So this is ABT who take responsibility once modification is made. That's why they are so expensive, probably... Again, this might vary by country.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Not sure about guarantee with ABT; I was told by my dealer that any modification done to engine (dos not matter by whom) will void Audi guarantee. So this is ABT who take responsibility once modification is made. That's why they are so expensive, probably... Again, this might vary by country.
I do not know for other countries but I am currently (temporarily to work) located in Lebanon, and I checked with Audi warranty is valid for all services firm ABT
Here ABT uses the official Audi service for all its services. For all work on the engine, chassis body......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts