Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Q5 45 TFSI Quattro Vorsprung
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all newbie here.
Had most of the other marques before so time for an Audi.
What have I done ! Just taken the plunge and agreed p/ex my 6yr old trusty Merc GLC sport plus which I had from new for a year old white Audi Q5 45 TFSI Vorsprung. Pick up in about 10 days.
Hoping won’t get buyers remorse and ummed and ahhhd shall I shan’t I .Low mileage user and an oldie more interested in the gizmos and comfort than what’s under the bonnet. Probably should have spent more time test driving but some serious very close family issues meant I ploughed ahead as life is too short.
Main conundrum was entering winter-possible short notice hospital visits-21 inch alloys and the Audi Pirelli zeros when I have 18in Michelin allweathers on the GLC. Considered allweathers and winter tyres but felt budget well and truly stretched. Concluded that although summer tyres under 7 degrees not a good idea (but am sure I never put non summer tyres on previous 50 years of driving ) then just awareness and cautious driving is the way forward. Interested in how others cope with 21’s in Winter ( sorry if listed elsewhere) and is it true if you put non approved winter wheels on a car does it potentially invalidate insurance as branded as a modification?

Thank you
Geoff

·
Registered
Audi SQ5 2015
2,276 Posts
Welcome to the forum :cool:(y)
Have had no problem with 21" PZeros in light snow up here in Scotland. But an all weather tyre is always going to be better in cold icey conditions as the rubber doesn't get so hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the replies and welcome. That is reassuring -if they are OK in Scotland that’s good enough for a Southern Softie! Most times if it’s that cold here it’s leave the car on the drive. I can only remember 2/3 instances over last 10 years actually getting caught out by snowstorm and that was with summer tyres and not in a four wheel drive. Just careful driving under 7 degrees seems the way forward …. And trying to avoid curbing 21 inch alloys.

·
Still Game
5,138 Posts
is it true if you put non approved winter wheels on a car does it potentially invalidate insurance as branded as a modification?
Welcome to our forum :cool:
It is a requirement to inform your insurer of any modification and it might be wise to do so.
However, if you do not, I very much doubt they could invalidate your insurance, unless it was a contributory cause of the incident.

·
Registered
2021 Q5 45 TFSI Quattro Vorsprung
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Missile. I expect I will take the compromise route of moving to all climate tyres when the current set are due to be replaced. Helpful to get input to formulate decisions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts