Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad to admit, but I have blotted my clean record (and it has taken me a few days to admit it on here). First time I will have had to claim on my insurance in nearly 40 years of driving :-(

Took the OH to a garden centre on Saturday and ended up crunching my nearside doors into a railway sleeper that was below my eyeline. Obviously no excuse but I cannot have been the first to do this judging by the condition of the sleeper, so I made some recommendations to the garden centre as to how to highlight the hazard.

The car is due to be traded-in on 1st March so I went to the bodyshop of Bristol Audi on Monday lunchtime. I figured that getting them to do the work would mean that they could argue with themselves if the work was not considered satisfactory. Unfortunately the damage to the doors was such that it had to be referred to my insurance company.

Now this was the first learning point; apparently you do not have to go through the insurers repairer and you can insist on placing it with a particular garage - I did not know that! So much for Audi insurance main selling point that they would get it done through their network.

In approaching my insurance company (Privilege), they were not happy but they would agree to this, but I would have to sort out my own courtesy car. I found the number for Audi Ensurance, which I had signed up for, but they would insist on taking it to their own repairer which, for the reasons stated above, I was not happy with.

The insurance assessor is viewing tomorrow and I hope he will agree with the bodyshop's assessment, but it is up to them to argue I guess.

In the meantime, the bodyshop has sourced a courtesy car for me if they get the business, which will not be charged back to the insurance company (I guess it will go on their rate, but they keep referring to me as a good customer [hopefully with new car sales,not with the bodyshop]). I need an automatic with a boot big enough for a wheelchair and they have offered an A4 Avant, which sounds pretty reasonable to me (not driven one before). I have it booked in for 24th Feb so this should fit with changing on 1st March, if it all comes together.

Hey ho, I have protected no claims, but I guess my premium will rise next year. Still, at £210 premium this year I cannot complain too much.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Bugger mate! As you say, shouldn't affect you too much in premiums, but still a pain to deal with etc. Hopefully it will all pan out as planned!

What you trading it in for?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bugger mate! As you say, shouldn't affect you too much in premiums, but still a pain to deal with etc. Hopefully it will all pan out as planned!

What you trading it in for?
Cheers Jose (not sure how you put the "thing" above the e) - Another Q5, with a few extras.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Cool - will look forward to see it when you take delivery then.

On a PC Ctrl-Alt-e
On a Mac Alt-e then e again

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Bummer on the accident. Not sure I follow your story. It is your car you can get it repaired wherever you like, do not let anyone bully you into going to their chosen body shop.

·
Registered
768 Posts
That's tough Ransman, hope it all goes smoothly for you from now on. At least you can look forward to the new car.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bummer on the accident. Not sure I follow your story. It is your car you can get it repaired wherever you like, do not let anyone bully you into going to their chosen body shop.
It will be going to Bristol Audi bodyshop. Thankfully(?) I have no experience of what can and can't be done with insurance claims - came as a surprise to me that you can specify where it goes and though that might be useful to others on here.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Booked in to the bodyshop on Monday 24th and picking up an A4 Avant as a courtesy car. It is estimated to take the best part of a week so I have arranged to keep the A4 until Saturday 1st and drive it into the dealership to collect the new Q5. Makes a lot of sense really as the bodyshop would only be getting the car back to prep it for sale, and it means I take less time off work.

If it all works as planned then it will have turned out to be far less hassle than I could have hoped for.

I am wondering what the insurance company will quote when I transfer over to the new one. It was no extra last time when I swapped from the SE to the S-Line Plus. We shall see.

Already finding that the premium has gone up by £20 putting my name on my wife's policy (Suzuki Jimny - she loves it!) so I can live with that.

·
Still Game
4,617 Posts
Good news on the repair. I would suggest that is a good plan. Although paint dries almost instantly, I feel it is best to let the paint fully cure before driving. Not a big issue for you, enjoy your new car.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
Looks great! Very moody shot!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Looking good.
Mine should look much the same. I'm hoping Daytona is as easy to keep clean as Ice Silver.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Looks great. What a great colour Daytona is!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Taken between the showers today. I didn't have long with it (hand control being swapped over) but I do like the wheels, and the pano roof looks really great.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Wheels are great, can't wait to get my ones back on in April after Audi winter 17".

·
Registered
221 Posts
Those wheels look great with the Daytona...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Sorry to hear about that all mate but your new Q5 looks gorgeous! Great pic

1 - 20 of 41 Posts