Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

When picking up my car this week, I was offered Audi Complete (Servicing and Tyres) for £67pm.

Now, I may be missing something here, but this sounds like the most sensible product anyone has ever offered me!

My assumptions are as follows:-

- I do 12k miles per annum
- I have the 21" wheels
- Cost of 4 new 21" wheels = £1,600
- life of tyres 15,000 miles
- Service every 2 years = £500

So my maths were as below for a three year period WITHOUT Audi Complete:-

I would need two new sets of tyres @ £3,200
I would need one service @ £500
Total cost @ £3,700

WITH Audi Complete:-

36 payments @ £67pm = £2,412
Total cost @ £2,412

It seems there are HUGE savings to be made here??! Be great to get your thoughts guys. Am I missing something here??

All views welcome and appreciated

G

·
Banned
289 Posts
I guess the main variable is the tyres... would they really replace them when you wanted them to be replaced? I read on the Audi website that their standard is to replace them at 2mm, and they choose the make/model of tyre... are you ok with that?

For example, if your tyres stretched to 18k, instead of 15k, you would need only 1 set.. The maths looks quite different in that case - £2100 for cash, £2400 for the plan...

Another thing to consider is winter tyres - I guess the plan doesn't cover that?

Overall, the plan sounds worthwhile - you take all the aggro out of it, with a downside risk of losing £300, and an upside opportunity of saving £1300.

·
Banned
2,240 Posts
I was on the fence for all the reasons Quattro mentioned. I decided not to in order to give me flexibility.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
I read a thread where some owners were getting 20k out of there tyres,and I assume the plan is for the full 3 year term,and you may sell car in that time or heaven forbid something happen to it,the savings don't look that great with these other variables,and possibility ides,and your annual mileage may change and become less in the future,sounds like an expensive insurance,you can get 3 year tyre insurance for £300 from Audi or the net,covering 6 punctures or damaged tyres,1 claim alone gets your £ Back on a new tyre 😄

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I didn't opt for antyhing. However be careful as the guy at my showroom tried to sell me it, and then goes 'Oh yes but it doesn't cover your 21" Star wheels' I stood there like, your trying to sell me a product i can't use?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. As you all say, the tyres are the big variable here.

Did anyone opt for the Audi Complete without the tyres? (c.£30pm)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The wear rates on my Q5 with 20" wheels over 6,000 miles were showing around 30k miles for the fronts and 35-40k for the rears to the legal limit.

My previous Q5 SE with 19" wheels was showing around 28k.

XC60 was around 18k miles.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wear rates on my Q5 with 20" wheels over 6,000 miles were showing around 30k miles for the fronts and 35-40k for the rears to the legal limit.
Thanks Ransman - in that case this s a VERY expensive product!

·
Banned
289 Posts

My previous Q5 SE with 19" wheels was showing around 28k.

XC60 was around 18k miles.
Interesting. My XC60 (205AWD) is approaching 30k. I still have > 3mm on the original rears...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Interesting. My XC60 (205AWD) is approaching 30k. I still have > 3mm on the original rears...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I had a FWD and I should have pointed out those figures were for the fronts. IIRC the rears were better, but not significantly so. I wonder if the tyre brand was making the difference - can't remember what I had though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Going to add my 2p worth......

I opted for the complete pack with tyres, but over 4 years and 100k miles, so I will benefit from the extended warranty and breakdown cover.

I went for the complete pack as I could budget better for the maintenance and tyres of the Q5, and know that I would not get any shock bills (like when the AdBlue needed refilling, or the front brake pads at 20k miles). One nice thing is that having had a couple of punctures in the car, one phone call arranges for someone to come to me to sort it out (or you can take it to ATS for it to be done)........

Did think about "what if I sell the car after 3 years", and realised that as it was fully transferable, it would be a plus point for a car that is likely to have 75-80k miles on it. Added to that, the next owner would know that work was done as it should have been, it should hopefully make the car that little bit more desirable come trade-in/ private sale.

Also noted that the cam belt would be done as per Audi recommended interval - from what I've heard, this is now 75k miles or 5 years for my engine..........

J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts