Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum & looking to buy our 1st brand new car..

We had put a deposit down on a 2.0D S Line, however i've now seen a few rumours of a face lift perhaps due in September, the big question is whether to cancel our order & wait to see if a face lift appears or stick with the current shape?

Part of the problem is the car we had on order was already a cancelled order & so it was due in to the showroom in 3 weeks time, so if i cancel i know we'll miss it..

We're in a dilemma as to what to do as the dealer is saying they haven't heard anything?

This link shows what it may look like & boy it looks sweet. - www.a3familycar.com/new-q5-facelift/

·
Registered
578 Posts
The picture in the link is done on photoshop - the wheels look like 22" and there is no way Audi will provide 22s as an option - therefore I would suggest that the picture exagerates the updates which are likely with the facelift.

You may be able to order the facelift Q5 in September but I guess you'll be looking at early 2013 delivery - if you can wait a year for your car fair enough but I don't think you'll be missing out on much if you buy one now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The picture in the link is done on photoshop - the wheels look like 22" and there is no way Audi will provide 22s as an option - therefore I would suggest that the picture exagerates the updates which are likely with the facelift.

You may be able to order the facelift Q5 in September but I guess you'll be looking at early 2013 delivery - if you can wait a year for your car fair enough but I don't think you'll be missing out on much if you buy one now.
Thanks for the reply & i think you're right, it's just the though of buying one now & taking a bigger hit as i'd defiinately want the newer version, whatever it's going to look like..

I don't know whether i can wait 12 mth though..

·
Registered
111 Posts
We were going to wait and look at the Q3 but i'm glad we didn't as when it was released you couldn't order an s-line version straight away!! I personally think that most Audi's need s-line to make them look right. Might be the same with the Q5 when released!!??

·
Banned
842 Posts
From the spyshots etc. it seems little is changing appearance wise but there may be a tech upgrade - google maps etc. etc.

As lux says it will be a while till the S-Line and Special editions and +'s turn up which udoubtably means adding expensive audi options individually at launch, plus you will be looking at a 12 month or so wait...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hope that facelift photoshop is accurate as I don't like the lights as much as the existing and the grille change I can take or leave? I doubt that Audi will make much visual difference to the car, the upgrades will be more Tech and maybe running gear based this time around - the real mods will come in another 3 years time?

·
Registered
294 Posts
The facelift will include the new octagonal framed grill, that's a given. As is fancy new LED lights, I suspect not too dissimilar to those on the Q3. No doubt the rear lights will also change. Apart from that I'm not sure much else will change externally, bumpers maybe and probably some new wheel designs. Oh and I expect some changes to engine specs too.

Internally I suspect the latest MMI and possibly the 8 speed s-tronic box but not much else - just look at what Audi did with the A4/A5. Both were refreshed recently.

My only concerns, if I were the OP, would be financial. Depreciation if I were to buy now (possibly offset by discount). Securing a decent discount if I were to wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To throw a spanner in the works we've now been looking at an Evoque, i have to say it makes the Q5 look kinda bland & we're due a test drive later this week, will report back later, but i think our plans of an Audi are moving towards an Evoque, my wife fell in love with it when we went looking at one today..

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
This is only a personal view but the evoque is more of a hairdressers car,its over blinged on every corner.I have seen a few (my mate has one) and just cringe .Its defo a girls car!! sorry no offence just my choice lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
I parked next to an Evoque last week, its a lot smaller than a Q5, it's more the size of a Q3. The 3 door ones look dreadful but I do like the 5 door. I agree with rapidcool, it's not much of a mans car. Also Land Rover are the worst car manufacturer out of the top 33 car makers based on reliability, check out the industry reports from JD Power & associates - even the super cheap manufacturers beat them on reliability.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have to agree - Evoque, Q3, X3 all women's cars - the Evoque especially is over styled IMHO, like something from a Judge Dread movie. The rear window on a Scirroco makes more sense than the Evoque letterbox?

However, it's the OP's money, so good luck with whatever you decide :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I parked next to an Evoque last week, its a lot smaller than a Q5, it's more the size of a Q3. The 3 door ones look dreadful but I do like the 5 door. I agree with rapidcool, it's not much of a mans car. Also Land Rover are the worst car manufacturer out of the top 33 car makers based on reliability, check out the industry reports from JD Power & associates - even the super cheap manufacturers beat them on reliability.
Hmm, i'll have to disagree with this, the 5 door was parked right next to a Q7 & in all honesty it didn't look much smaller, certainly not as long, but the Q7 is oversized (for us) anyway, so i don't think that saying it's "a lot smaller" is a true statement..

What really made us think of abandoning the Q5 was whilst we were on our way to look at the Evoque, a Q5 S Line drove towards us & it just didn't do anything for us, it looked non descript & (dare i say it) somewhat bland & yet when we were in the dealers last weekend we fell in love with the S Line with Black Pack, anyway i'm not rushing in to any rash decisions as it's a shed load of money, but (& i am totally unbiased as we have neither car) i am edging towards the Evoque..

A test drive is booked for Saturday so we'll see then..

Time to get out my hairdressers scissors

·
Registered
578 Posts
Audi Q7 Length is 5086 mm
Audi Q5 Length is 4,629mm
Audi Q3 Length is 4,390 mm
Evoque Length is 4,365 mm

Evoque height is the same as a Q3 as well.

Evoque is compared to a Q3 not a Q5 and certainly not a Q7, I owned a Q7 and it is much bigger than an Evoque.

Evoque is SHORTER than a Q3, you might as well get an A1

·
Registered
279 Posts
Or a Mini Country-thingamybob?

;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Audi Q7 Length is 5086 mm
Audi Q5 Length is 4,629mm
Audi Q3 Length is 4,390 mm
Evoque Length is 4,365 mm

Evoque height is the same as a Q3 as well.

Evoque is compared to a Q3 not a Q5 and certainly not a Q7, I owned a Q7 and it is much bigger than an Evoque.

Evoque is SHORTER than a Q3, you might as well get an A1
Well i wasn't actually comparing it to anything, all i said was it didn't look much smaller, i had no idea someone would start looking up the stats..

Are some of you guys old enough to drive, you seem quite immature with your comments..

There's more to splashing out £40k + than some dick measuring regards how much longer one is than the other, after all i need a good sized family car, not a coach..

If you guys are happy with your Q5's then why try to belittle someone who's considering an alternative.

I know this is the Audi forum, but i'll put money on it some of you guys are secretly admiring other motors..

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hmmm:

Me: "I parked next to an Evoque last week, its a lot smaller than a Q5, it's more the size of a Q3"
You " Hmm, i'll have to disagree with this, the 5 door was parked right next to a Q7 & in all honesty it didn't look much smaller"
Me "Evoque is SHORTER than a Q3" and stats provided
You "Well i wasn't actually comparing it to anything, all i said was it didn't look much smaller"

You asked for some advice from Q5 owners and you got it. You said you didn't want to "rush into anything" but you already put a deposit down on a Q5 S-Line, oh and then you had second thoughts because of the future facelift and then further second thoughts cos of the Evoque. You have a Q5 due for delivery in 3 weeks and you have the audacity to call us immature, we made a decision and we stuck to it after significant research - the same research which other forum members ask us stuff about.

Do me a favour and fulfil your CONTRACTUAL commitment on the Q5, you signed paperwork and you ordered a vehicle, you will lose £1,000 if you cancel this order, why are you even contemplating any alternatives, you should have done your research before signing any paperwork.

Reactions: Nate777

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lol - you think this is bad, you should try a marque related section on Pistonheads.

No need for the attitude though - you asked for opinions and got some - not our fault if you don't like the responses?

Anyway, I'm off to ask my mum if I can stay up to watch Emmerdale.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lol - you think this is bad, you should try a marque related section on Pistonheads.

No need for the attitude though - you asked for opinions and got some - not our fault if you don't like the responses?

Anyway, I'm off to ask my mum if I can stay up to watch Emmerdale.
Lol I like the Emmerdale comment.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 2 pence worth if it helps. I test drove the Evoque before placing my Q5 order and whilst the wife really liked it I thought there were a few areas of concern. The boot was tiny for a mid size SUV and when you have 2 children, a dog plus weekend gear to fit in, the Evoque just didn't do it for me. There were some neat toys as standard on the Evoque but personally I felt the build quality in some areas was poor. The rear of the cabin was also cramped and dark unless you added the glass roof.

The evoque to me looks like a box where as the Q5 looks classy.

Good luck with what ever you choose but I think you may regret it if you opt for RR.

Finally I could never buy a car from a dealer who wouldn't give any form of discount and the sales people thought they were doing me a favor by letting me buy one of their cars. I expect there will be an Evoque in every street by the end of 2012.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts