Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am looking for advice on the Q5, and from reading the posts on this forum it seems that this is the best place to find out. I am currently driving an 08 audi a4 and quite like it but I need more space so It seems that the Q5 seems to be the best solution. I have scoured the net for a used model but to be honest the prices are exceeding what I've been quoted for a new one [ 28,300 plus 600 dealer fee for an sline 2.0 tdi] I def want an Sline model, but can't decide between brilliant black and the phantom black. I've also had a look at the special edition, though is the worth the extra? Any advice gladly accepted.
Conor

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a TDI 170 se manual in brilliant black and like yourself before the Q5 i had an 08 A4 TDI avant in phantom black and i can honestly say that you are pushed to tell the difference if any at all between the two colours.
You are correct about used prices thats why i went for a new one because it worked out cheaper on the finance but you may have a long wait for a factory order i had to wait 5 months so it depends on how quick you want one as there is always the option of an ex-demo which is a new car waiting to be sold and is the option i would have prefered to have gone for to avoid the waiting time for build.
If you go to readers drives i have posted pictures of my Q5 and also there are pics of the leather/alcantara which is a no cost option called the design package if this is of any help.
Hi
I am looking for advice on the Q5, and from reading the posts on this forum it seems that this is the best place to find out. I am currently driving an 08 audi a4 and quite like it but I need more space so It seems that the Q5 seems to be the best solution. I have scoured the net for a used model but to be honest the prices are exceeding what I've been quoted for a new one [ 28,300 plus 600 dealer fee for an sline 2.0 tdi] I def want an Sline model, but can't decide between brilliant black and the phantom black. I've also had a look at the special edition, though is the worth the extra? Any advice gladly accepted.
Conor

·
Registered
294 Posts
I love black cars and I'm also a bit of an amateur detailer, well I like to try and keep my cars as clean as possible but wish I had more skill, patience and time.

I've owned a Phantom Black A3 for the last 3.5 years and when clean it looks great but bugger me it's a pain to keep it that way. Black really does highlight any dirt/dust and not to mention the dreaded swirls and I think the Brilliant Black would be even worse. Flat colours seem to show more defects so for me I'd always choose a metallic/pearlescent finish. They just look soo nice with a coat or two of wax on and when the flake really pops. I've also found that when it comes to finance the metallic/pearlescent finish's to be the only cost option that helps with the GFV.

As for whether the Special Edition is worth it, well for me it was but I guess it's down to personal choice and budget. I'm loving the look of the Off Road design alloys and wanted B&O and the lecce tailgate. Was a no brainer really.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats great thanks for that, I think that ill go for the 2.0 TDI SLINE in brilliant black with the 20 inch wheels. Does the Sline normal model MMI system give you bluetooth to connect your mobile with, my A4 SLine at the moment does and it works great
Thank for all your advice
Conor

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thats great thanks for that, I think that ill go for the 2.0 TDI SLINE in brilliant black with the 20 inch wheels. Does the Sline normal model MMI system give you bluetooth to connect your mobile with, my A4 SLine at the moment does and it works great
Conor
Hi Conor
Before you order a brilliant black, have a chat with your dealer. I was told not to have Brilliant Black by three dealers, apparently it does not have the hard varnish coats of the pearls/metallics and scratches easily. Definately do not have it if you use car washes as they will scratch the car to pieces.
I am not trying to put a dampner on your order (I wanted the B black as well) would not want you to make a big mistake on an expensive purchase
kc

·
Registered
124 Posts
Conor
I agree Conor before you order check out the pearl finish - I have it in black on my S Line Spec Edition - beautiful.....................

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the dealer is pushing you to pay the 600 pounds for mettalic paint.
Solid solvent bourne colour finishes are more expensive to produce than metallic finishes yet all manufacturers dont charge extra for this.
Any paint rep supplier to the motor industry will tell you the same.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Its all subjective and somewhat marmite.

I'd never have black again for a few reasons.
1st, is the amount of effort it takes to stop swirls/holograms,
2nd, i dont think the Q5 shape really suits it,
3rd, black cars seem to attract a certain type of owners lets say.

On the SEd, i think its good value for money, again dont like the default Sedition wheels but you can change them to RS6 style ones (still 20").
One other point, the boot on Q5 is really small, i think you'll find it smaller than the A4, so its worth checking out the space.
Audi base colours get the same clear coat as the Met/Pearl finishes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Its all subjective and somewhat marmite.

I'd never have black again for a few reasons.
1st, is the amount of effort it takes to stop swirls/holograms,
2nd, i dont think the Q5 shape really suits it,
3rd, black cars seem to attract a certain type of owners lets say.

On the SEd, i think its good value for money, again dont like the default Sedition wheels but you can change them to RS6 style ones (still 20").
One other point, the boot on Q5 is really small, i think you'll find it smaller than the A4, so its worth checking out the space.
Audi base colours get the same clear coat as the Met/Pearl finishes.
I am sorry - kindly explain your comment "3rd, black cars seem to attract a certain type of owners lets say."

I would be very interested to hear your explanation.........................
My wife is also interested to hear your explanation - and before you say anyhting - yes she is blonde and yes she does wear sunglasses in the summer to drive !!

I thought this site was to help each other .......................

·
Registered
134 Posts
My Q5 is an se and it is in brilliant black so i would also be interested for you to explain your comment about black cars attract a certain type.
My wife would also like to know as she is not blonde and does not drive at all.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I am sorry - kindly explain your comment "3rd, black cars seem to attract a certain type of owners lets say."

I would be very interested to hear your explanation.........................
My wife is also interested to hear your explanation - and before you say anyhting - yes she is blonde and yes she does wear sunglasses in the summer to drive !!

I thought this site was to help each other .......................
What does "blonde" and "sunglasses" have to do with the price of fish?
I dont have a clue what you are hinting at.

I was referring to the anger management issues those owners seem to exhibit and the willingness to jump to conclusions...

Never really took much notice of stereotypes....but I might have to re-think this one.

What car colour says
Not only might the type of car you drive say something about you, so does the colour. According to a survey done in Great Britain, certain colors indicate certain personalities. Here are some generalities:
• Black: Aggressive personality, a desire to stamp authority on other road users
• Silver: Cool, calm, may be a loner
• Green: Reactive
• Yellow: Idealistic
• Blue: Introspective, reflective, and cautious
• Red: Someone who is full of energy and pizzazz
• White: Status seekers, gregarious
• Cream: Contained and controlled

Whether we choose cars for how we want others to perceive us, or if we are simply concerned with price and function, what we drive can send some serious messages.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Oh dear.

I'm an cool, aggressive, calm type of guy then who wants to stamp my pizzaz and authority on other road users in a cautiously, energetic type of manner.

I then like to reflect on this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts