Audi Q5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just joined and would like if any advice on driving a q5. Trading in my tt for a q5 which i will be picking up in 2 weeks time. Having never driven anything bigger than polo gti to tt i would be grateful for any advice. I never even took a test drive. Just liked the car and bought it.

·
SQ-MASTER
2,468 Posts
Welcome aboard 😄,what q5 have u got coming ?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I went from a new Scirocco to my previous Q5 so that was a bit of a change. To be honest, it didn't take long to get used to the Q as it's such a nice drive. Obviously you can't throw it around as much, but it still handles well. I love the elevated driving position which is also a bit of a change from the ride height in the scirocco.

Just take it easy until you are comfortable with it then just drive as per normal really!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Main difference to a normal car relates to the higher centre of gravity so it will handle differently and not be nearly as chuckable as a TT. Although it has pretty good grip for a mini truck and has ESP it cannot defy the laws of physics.
Which drive-train have you gone for? Sports suspension?

You will I am sure enjoy it and it will certainly carry more clobber/people than a TT. After coming from a TT & Polo GTI you may find it slower point to point depending on the power unit you've chosen

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome and a good choice. I alternate between my Q5 and an Mx5 lowered and stiffened up and it takes about a mile to adjust. The Q5 is as mentioned pretty nimble and can be driven with some confidence at speed.

Driving position is great and be aware when parking publicly it is quite wide. Is a magnet for car doors and shopping trolleys handled recklessly.

Just fire it up and enjoy. You've joined a group of nice guys on here who will help you get the best experience that comes with owning. Such a great car....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
Many thanks for advice. Have been reading some of the topics and cannot wait to get my Q5.
I have bought a S line special edition (ss)
Dont know what the ss bit means. Looking foward to reading lots more
Glad i joined

·
Registered
877 Posts
Welcome aboard. Like others it took a bit of getting used to but the high driving position is great

·
Banned
489 Posts
Welcome! Same position as me. I had both TTs (Petrol Mk1 & TDI Mk2) for a total of 8yrs consecutively and got away with being not able to take out (no, not shoot!) my in-laws anywhere! The transition to my Q5 didn't take more than a day although as mentioned, the parking of a much bigger (longer really) vehicle took a little longer. It's slower and sips more fuel but I love it! It's a comfortable cruiser that can still be fairly swift if need be too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome to the forum, which engine and transmission combo have you gone for?
I've got a Mk1 ragtop for summer fun and it isn't a problem going from one to the other, apart from once when I stalled the TT because I totally forgot I needed to put my clutch in (oops!). You'll soon get used to the Q5

·
Registered
768 Posts
Welcome. The Q5 is so much more enjoyable to drive than other SUVs of comparable size.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Welcome, this is my first Audi and SUV, used to sports cars and it did feel strange for the first week.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went from an A5 and it is different but you will get used to it very quickly - I tend to swing out more when parking although I do try and avoid supermarket spaces etc for the reasons described in an earlier post in this thread - one of the reasons for getting the running boards was for protection as well. She who must be obeyed has an SLK so it is strange when we swop.......

The driving height will be the thing that you will notice (and like) the most - enjoy!!

Reactions: Shufflebutt

·
Registered
814 Posts
I went from an A5 and it is different but you will get used to it very quickly - I tend to swing out more when parking although I do try and avoid supermarket spaces etc for the reasons described in an earlier post in this thread - one of the reasons for getting the running boards was for protection as well. She who must be obeyed has an SLK so it is strange when we swop.......

The driving height will be the thing that you will notice (and like) the most - enjoy!!
Hi, do the running boards actually protect the car?
Having seen them fitted, I would imagine that any car, except a sportscar, would have their doors open higher than the running boards, and hence still crash onto your door/sill ??
I sincerely hope you tell me I'm wrong, as mine will arrive in a couple of weeks with them already fitted.

Reactions: Shufflebutt

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi
Many thanks for advice. Have been reading some of the topics and cannot wait to get my Q5.
I have bought a S line special edition (ss)
Dont know what the ss bit means. Looking foward to reading lots more
Glad i joined
The ss may be referring to the Stop/start system..

·
Registered
46 Posts
SJ1000 - yes it would depend on the other car's door style but, hopefully, stop supermarket trolleys and bikes - have you ever seen how some kids use cars to stop??!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
forgot to say that the running boards look great and they are very handy when you are washing the roof!!

Reactions: ?? SQ-BEAST ??
1 - 17 of 17 Posts